Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > The Adirondack Forum > Hiking in the Adirondacks > Northville Placid Trail
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-08-2004, 12:08 PM   #1
TheDude

Street and Nye from NP trail

Anybody know of a herd path from the NP to Street and Nye? I found a site explaining the route from Indian Pass but nothing from the other side. Any info on hitting these 2 mountains would be great. I have a day layover in Duckhole in 2 weeks, waiting for a couple of folks and have a day to kill. The description in the NP book doesn't help much.

Thanks!
TheDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2004, 12:34 PM   #2
mike1889
wish I was in the Adks

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDude
Anybody know of a herd path from the NP to Street and Nye? I found a site explaining the route from Indian Pass but nothing from the other side. Any info on hitting these 2 mountains would be great. I have a day layover in Duckhole in 2 weeks, waiting for a couple of folks and have a day to kill. The description in the NP book doesn't help much.

Thanks!
There are no continuous herd paths to Street & Nye from the NP Trail. In 1994 I climbed them from the NPT at Wanika Falls. We walked in the 6 miles from the north end of the NPT to Wanika Falls and just followed the stream above the falls until it petered out. Then we took a compass bearing for the ridge and hit it near the midpoint between the 2 peaks. We returned the same way for a 20-mile, 13-hour day. We should have spotted a car at Adk Loj to make the day much shorter by taking the regular herd path to the Loj. There was some blowdown and a few cliffs along the stream, but nothing horrendous. Keep in mind this was 10 years ago and things may have changed for the worse. There were occasional traces of a path along the brook but nothing much. Wanika Falls is a pretty spot.
mike1889 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2004, 12:52 PM   #3
TheDude

I noticed the brook you mentioned. I'm looking forward to Wankika Falls, I've heard many good things about it, as well as Moose Pond. I'll give it a shot, thanks for the info.
TheDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2004, 12:56 PM   #4
lumberzac
Beware of the Lumberzac

Enjoy your stay at Duckhole. It's a real jem.

http://community.webshots.com/user/lumberzac
lumberzac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2004, 03:11 PM   #5
Kevin
**BANNED**

There is, and it's outlined in Barbara McMartin's book "Discover the Adirondack High Peaks".

Pages 84-85 outline [2] paths up. I haven't taken either yet, but may someday as I was thinking of trying this last summer just from looking at the topo. These directions are from Averyville heading south on the NPT:

Quote:
[1]... The trail stays east of a large marsh over which you have views of Ampersand Mountain. Shortly you have views of the new slide on Nye Mountain. At 4.5 miles you angle west again and at 4.7 miles cross another stream flowing down from the slopes of Nye.

A hundred yards beyond, you cross a stream that comes from the new slide on Nye. A 0.3-mile bushwack uphill through open hardwoods takes you to the base of the slide, which was created by the earthquake of August 1983. The slide is about 1400 feet long and shallow, with a grade of about 25 percent. (This is a favorite destination for skiers, but the grade is steep enough that only expert skiers should attempt it.) The slide's course has quite a bit of debris--loose rocks and trees--but it is still fun for slide climbers, even in summer...

[2]... The Chubb River originates in a vly between Street and Nye mountains. In less than 2 miles, the river produces this awesome, high falls (Wanika Falls). Bushwackers find that the Chubb is a great route to those mountains and offers a better challenge than the ness of herd paths from the east. You can follow the river and its northern fork all the way to the wet area in the saddle between Street and the Nye Ridge.
So, my thinking is -- climb the slide to the top of Nye, follow the herd path to Street, drop down the herd path to the wet area on the ridge, then follow that back down (becomes the Chubb River) to Wanika Falls.

[Just read Mike's entire post and see he's already outlines some of this for you -- enjoy the hike! Just be aware that the stretch between Wanika and Moose Pond is tough, and the path is in desperate need of a clearing]

Last edited by Kevin; 09-08-2004 at 03:37 PM..
Kevin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2004, 03:55 PM   #6
mike1889
wish I was in the Adks

Just a couple of quick points:

The old herd path used to go right through the vly between the peaks but now bypasses it. Getting to the headwaters of the Chubb from the herd path should be easy without actually finding the vly, by using the map.

The "mess of herd paths from the east" is no longer there with the current single herd path to each peak.

I don't recall seeing the 1983 slide but it sounds like fun.
mike1889 is offline   Reply With Quote