Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > The Adirondack Forum > Hiking in the Adirondacks
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-19-2004, 07:08 PM   #1
Gothics

Nippletop and Dial??

I am planning a backpaking trip and want to climb Nippletop and Dial and others if there is time. We are hiking from Saturday evening (only hike less than 4 miles) to Monday. I know the hike is a total of 15 miles, does anyone know good places to camp saturday and sunday. Any suggestions
Gothics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2004, 07:18 PM   #2
lumberzac
Beware of the Lumberzac

If you hike up the Gill Brook trail, there are a couple of campsites jast after you cross into State land.

http://community.webshots.com/user/lumberzac
lumberzac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2004, 08:51 AM   #3
Rick
Bad Seed

Building on what 'Zac said,
AFTER you pass the state game land sign, about 100-200 yards past, you will see a small herd path to the left, heading across a brook. On the other side of the brook, there is camping for about 4-5 tents. It can't bee seen well from the trail unless the there are tents set up there already. Further up, about 2/10 mile or so on the right as you come up a rise is camping on the right for a coupld of tents at max, thought I have seen 5 tents in there once.

Hope this helps
Rick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2004, 11:21 AM   #4
Dick
somewhere out there...

My map also indicates a camping spot at Elk Pass. This may be farther than you want to go, though.
Dick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2004, 11:38 AM   #5
Kevin
**BANNED**

Having been through there a few times now, Elk Pass might be a little far and too much additional climb with full packs. The spot Zac detailed is a nice compromise.
Kevin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2004, 05:50 PM   #6
Gothics

I am going to hike the loop with full packs doing Dial and Nippletop and then looping back, so is the state land on the trail on the way towards Dial? Any other recommendations for hiking, any cool things to check out.
Old 09-28-2004, 06:56 PM   #7
Kevin
**BANNED**

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gothics
I am going to hike the loop with full packs doing Dial and Nippletop and then looping back, so is the state land on the trail on the way towards Dial? Any other recommendations for hiking, any cool things to check out.
After quite a bit of climbing up the shoulder of Noonmark (on your way to Dial) you'll come across state lands. Much of that section on Noonmark is steep, and it isn't until you go quite a ways up that you find much flat area to camp on (there are occassional breaks before state lands, but I remember state lands starting quite a ways into the trip up Dial). You may want to car camp and get an early start instead of hiking that section with full packs and trying to find a camping area. Once to Nippletop, head down to Elk Pass to camp for the night (there's a number of spots). Next day, you could drop packs near the Colvin-Blake trailhead about a mile down from Elk Pass (on the left), climb them (colvin to blake and back), and then carry your packs down to the spots they were describing along Gill Brook for the final night.

Very peaceful and pretty area. Enjoy!
Kevin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2004, 12:24 PM   #8
alistair

When do plan to take this trip?
alistair is offline   Reply With Quote