Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > The Adirondack Forum > Hunting and Fishing in the Adirondacks
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-29-2006, 10:12 PM   #1
Sasquatch

NY Deer Management

Some of the threads got me thinking. I don't really like the way NY handles its deer population. Okay, when I buy my Super Sportsman license, I get an antlerless Muzz/Bow tag, an either sex Muzz/Bow tag, and my regular Antlered tag. Thus, I could, depending on location, take 2 bucks and one doe. Now, I just don't like the idea of anyone taking 2 bucks in one year. Just seems greedy. If the main purpose behind a hunting season is to help maintain a healthy population with an appropriate number of animals, harvesting does seems to be the way to go. Let's face it, if I have 10 does and 3 bucks in an area, those 10 does are all going to get bred is none are harvested. Even if I kill 2 of the 3 bucks and one of the does, that leaves 9 does that are all going to be bred by the one remaining buck. Assuming that the average doe has twins, that leaves an population next spring that goes from my original 13 to 28 (I know I know, not all does breed, not all survive, not all the fawns survive... but let's just say for sake of arguement). Now, If I take only one of the bucks, but 2 of the does, that 13 winds up only being 26 deer left. If that's going to be too many, increase the number of doe permits to decrease the number of does (which the state does). Also, with me having taken only one of the bucks, I'm left with 2 bucks that are somewhat more mature (let's say I started with a 1, 2, and 3 year old), and thus bigger with larger racks next year. I guess I'm a bit biased to the "one buck" system having grown up in SW Pennsylvania. The way it worked down there was that you bought a hunting license which got you an antlered deer tag. Then, if you bought your muzzleloader and bow permits, you did not get additional tags, you could just hunt your buck during those special seasons before and after the regular season. In order to harvest any does, you had to purchase a doe tag. Now, depending on the county in which you lived, you might have to enter the lottery for a doe tag, or as in my case, you could have all the doe tags you could afford at $6 a piece. That way, everyone gets a chance to harvest that one buck, and the population is controlled by those looking to put meat in the freezer by taking does. One year I took 11 deer. Only one buck (and a nice one, 12 points) and 10 does. I filled my freezer and those of several family members. I just think that kind of system controls the population while at the same time increases the percentage of bucks and the age and rack size of those bucks. So I guess my point is, NY should go to the "one buck" system. That or we could wind up like NJ where you have to "earn a buck" by taking a doe first before you can get a buck tag.

Sorry that was so long....