Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > The Adirondack Forum > Hunting and Fishing in the Adirondacks
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-27-2006, 01:50 PM   #1
Little Rickie

bears hibernating

Does anyone know when the bears go to sleep in the Tupper Lake area. I got a hike coming up 11/10 and am wondering if I should bother with a bear canister. I know they are not require in that area but they work well. If I knew the bears were going inactive I wouldn't bother with the can.

Thanks

"One touch of nature makes the whole world kin."

William Shakespeare
Little Rickie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2006, 01:52 PM   #2
adkdremn
Dreamin I'm there....the ADKS!

A lot depends on the weather I'd imagine. If they're not denned up yet they're definitely scavenging for as much last minute food as possible, in which case a bear can might not be a bad idea!
Old 10-27-2006, 01:54 PM   #3
fisher39

You should bring your canister - for the past three years I have seen fresh bear tracks during the third week of November in that general area, and I have heard that in heavy beech mast years like this the bears really procrastinate when it comes to going to bed. But maybe with the heavy mast, they'll be so full they won't bother your food.
fisher39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2006, 02:27 PM   #4
redhawk
Senior Resident Curmudgeon

Bear hibernation depends on food availability, not on weather.
So it is more prabable then not that the high peaks bears do not hibernate.

Take your canister
"If future generations are to remember us with gratitude rather than contempt, we must leave them more than the miracles of technology. We must leave them a glimpse of the world as it was in the beginning, not just after we got through with it." Lyndon B. Johnson
redhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2006, 02:45 PM   #5
adkdremn

Quote:
Originally Posted by redhawk
Bear hibernation depends on food availability, not on weather.So it is more prabable then not that the high peaks bears do not hibernate.
True, but the weather affects a bears food, i.e., nuts, berries, etc. Therefore, the weather and food go hand in hand.
Old 10-27-2006, 03:25 PM   #6
redhawk
Senior Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by adkdremn View Post
True, but the weather affects a bears food, i.e., nuts, berries, etc. Therefore, the weather and food go hand in hand.
Not Always. Bears have not hibernated during harsh winters when there have been dumpsters or other easy source of food around, so to be safe you need to act on food availability and not the weather.

My point is that it HP area as well as other areas where there is an availability of easy food from humans, the bears don't hibernate, so the weather doesn't enter into it.

You can have no snow, but a bad year for beries and other food and bears will hibernate earlier. You can have 6 feet of snow and a dumpster and the bears won't hibernate.

So the decision of whether one has to take steps to keep their food source from bears, becomes contingent on food availability and not weather.

The question whether to take a bear canister or not. My answer was meant to err on the side of safety.

Personally, I don't use a bear canister in the western high peaks, or anywhere in the Adirondacks other then the eastern high peaks. However, regardless of the weather or the area, I always hang a bear bag as a safety precaution unless I'm with my usual hiking companion who always carries a bear canister.
"If future generations are to remember us with gratitude rather than contempt, we must leave them more than the miracles of technology. We must leave them a glimpse of the world as it was in the beginning, not just after we got through with it." Lyndon B. Johnson
redhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2006, 06:19 PM   #7
adkdremn

Good points, Hawk. We all know that food is sometime TOO readily available in the High Peaks!
Quote:
Originally Posted by redhawk
The question whether to take a bear canister or not. My answer was meant to err on the side of safety.
If it were me, I'd be taking my bear can regardless of the season, for the bears sake and for ease of use.
Old 10-29-2006, 09:58 PM   #8
Sasquatch

I saw a bear cross the road this weekend just outside Tupper. It never hurts to take the precaution. Besides, the red squirrels are still active.
Old 10-30-2006, 10:49 AM   #9
sp_nyp
Mad Scientist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sasquatch View Post
... Besides, the red squirrels are still active.
Has anyone else noticed an increase in the number of red squirrels and chipmunks over the past few years? It seems like they are everywhere (more so than usual) ... I don't know if the good mast crop has anything to do with it or if there is a smaller population of natural predators for them recently.
sp_nyp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2006, 11:04 AM   #10
Adkleaddog

Quote:
Originally Posted by sp_nyp View Post
Has anyone else noticed an increase in the number of red squirrels and chipmunks over the past few years? It seems like they are everywhere (more so than usual) ... I don't know if the good mast crop has anything to do with it or if there is a smaller population of natural predators for them recently.
I noticed this year more chipmunks and reds than in the last few years as well. I think it's related to foraging and the big increase in nuts....

On another related note, the deer taken so far in our area, have had a lot of fat, especially on the rump. The more fat, the harder the winter will be is what I'm told.

(Age Old Yukon Saying)
Adkleaddog is offline   Reply With Quote