Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > The Adirondack Forum > Hunting and Fishing in the Adirondacks
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-04-2006, 06:51 PM   #21
RC
Woods Runner

Quote:
Originally Posted by redhawk View Post
Dog stew is the traditional Lakota Sundance meal.

The Indonesian national delicacy is monkey brain. If you order it in a restaurant, you get a live restrained monkey, a hammer and a fork.

They eat the monkeys and over here we elected them to office....Don't forget to vote tuesday

RC
RC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2006, 09:44 PM   #22
marzrw

RC.. Good point!
Old 11-07-2006, 10:19 AM   #23
sp_nyp
Mad Scientist

Didn't I read that French Louie liked to eat bear?

He kept a vat of bear lard on his stove for frying in as well.

Also, I never knew that the bear was part of the pig family. That is interesting... learn something new every day!

I enjoy all foods (generally), but there couple animals you would never see me knowingly eat...unless I needed to in order to survive....

Carp, Rodents-in general (except for gray squirrel), Dogs and Insects
sp_nyp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2006, 01:47 PM   #24
Little Rickie

[QUOTE=redhawk;55744]Nope. I've had everything on that list

OK I'll bite.

How was it prepare? What did they taste like and would you eat them again if you didn't have to?

Racoon

Beaver

Woodchuck

Dog?

Monkey brains?

"One touch of nature makes the whole world kin."

William Shakespeare
Little Rickie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2006, 02:19 PM   #25
redhawk
Senior Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Little Rickie View Post

OK I'll bite.

How was it prepare? What did they taste like and would you eat them again if you didn't have to?

Racoon

Beaver

Woodchuck

Dog?

Monkey brains?
The raccoon, beaver, woodchuck and dog were all in stews. I would eat everything again except the dog (tasted fine, it's just the thought of it. Unfortunately if I do traditional Lakota Sundance, it's part of the ceremony).

I've never had the monkey brain, but I have had calf's brain soup, kangaroo, various snake, eel as well as grasshoppers. locusts, and several varieties of grub, seal, walrus and yes, even bear steak. Caribou, bison, reindeer, elk, yak, muskox, and water buffalo. I've also had tripe, tongue, brains, kidneys and chitlins.

In fact, I haven't met many meals that I didn't like. Oddly enough, I can't get near calf's liver without gagging I don't like broccoli, cauliflower, lima beans but will eat pretty much any other vegetable including collards, beet greens, dandilion, mustard greens and okra which a lot of people don't like.

I've had saute'd cattail stems and reeds, eaten things baked with flour made from the cattail flower, fern fiddleheads and lemonade made from the sumac flower.

The two no nos for me now would be bear. having been as close to them as I have in the past, it would be a sacrilege. bears are very spiritual creatures. I also wouldn't eat raw buffalo liver again. I had all i could do to keep it down the one time it was necessary for me to consume it.

As far as how they tasted, it's impossible to describe f someone hasn't had them. The old "taste's like chicken", etc just doesn't cut it. Each is ubnique and is also affected by how it is cooked, as well as what kind of wood is used if it is grilled over a wood fire. Reindeer , elk and carabou are excellent grilled over apple wood. Bison over mesquite or cottonwood, and deer over hickory or maple.

And then of course, there are the spices that are used, and even those can be different depending on where they come from. There are many different species of the same spice, all with different flavors depending on where they come from.
"If future generations are to remember us with gratitude rather than contempt, we must leave them more than the miracles of technology. We must leave them a glimpse of the world as it was in the beginning, not just after we got through with it." Lyndon B. Johnson
redhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2006, 06:41 PM   #26
marzrw

Quote:
Carp, Rodents-in general (except for gray squirrel), Dogs and Insects
[/QUOTE]

Guess you wouldn't make it on the tv show "Survival"...Neither would I...

Now if I were lost for days, I might eat some bugs, especially black ants, my nephew says they're good... You have to flick the heads off though...