Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > The Adirondack Forum > Hunting and Fishing in the Adirondacks
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-02-2006, 02:19 PM   #1
brookfinder

Question fall trout?

hello all...

a quick question... when do the trout start hitting again in the
ponds? i know spring is best , but, has anyone had good luck in
the fall? if so , when ? different approach and/or bait?

thanks to anyone who might respond. take care.

Ejl
brookfinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2006, 10:27 PM   #2
i81u812

I got a few this past weekend. One brookie near 20" and 3+ lbs. All wild fish in still, shallow water.

i81u812 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2006, 01:56 AM   #3
serotonin
ember

Very few words necessary...

Old 10-04-2006, 12:35 PM   #4
trouthunter

WOW! Awesome! WOW!
Do you need a fishin buddy?
Im on vacation next week and Im hoping to finish off the Trout season with a bang!
Do I see a Woolly in that pic?
Thanks for sharing, gorgeous and big Brookies!
trouthunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2006, 01:27 PM   #5
wildbrookies

i81u812,

Ditto on the WoW`s ..... ,

That big guy is a slammer....what slab of wild brookie it is!!!

Those are some very colorful brookies...they are turning to so much color, they look like their other family members ...the Arctic Char!!!

Gotta love the fall colors these guys/gals develop ....hope to get out for some before the season ends...

Like always, thanks for sharing those beauties with us!!!

Wb
"Get your mind off trout,if you can.I know they`ve got you.I can see it. Every fraternity of sufferers knows its brothers.Trout hook men;men don`t hook trout.Better try and throw the hook while you can.By the time you`re a grown man there probably won`t be a pure trout healthy enough to fiddle with"... Quote from Emerson in the book "The Earth Is Enough"by Harry Middleton
wildbrookies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2006, 02:39 PM   #6
sp_nyp
Mad Scientist

Beautiful Fish

That is why I love the Adirondacks...

I think I would wet my pants if I landed a brook trout of that size + color Beautiful fish, thanks for the pics!
sp_nyp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2006, 06:26 PM   #7
i81u812

I'm back down in NJ now. I think the next time back up will be around Thanksgiving. I was stunned by the size of the one brookie. It was just a brute. Took about 15 minutes for the fish to settle down and it dragged the darn kayak a good 100 feet or so. I was fishing 5x tippet and in moving water that fish would have broken off in the first minute. I'd caught salmon in the general area before but never any brookies. I was fishing near an outflow and I have caught dozens of little brookies further downstream (I was actually planning to wade down stream prospecting for little guys) but I had no expectations of catching anything meaningful in the still water. I just saw a little rise form and figured why not try a few casts? The spot where the majority of the hook ups came was over and between two 4'x4'x2' high man made rock piles that were built as part of a water pumping structure. Water was no more than 4-5' deep. Darn fish were using structure just like largemouth bass might do. Only regret I have (it was pouring rain but that didn't bother me) was that I had my camera in a baggie and when I took it out to snap picture of the 20" fish, the lens had condensation on it. That's why the image is blurred. I felt that gettijng the fish back in the water alive was more important than cleaning the camera lens to snap clear pics. Better than no pics at all though. #10 Olive Woolly buggers. Maybe look like damsel flies?
Old 10-05-2006, 10:20 PM   #8
Troutnut
Official Trout Nut

20-inch brookie? Congratulations!
Troutnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2006, 11:21 PM   #9
Trailpatrol

Quote:
Originally Posted by sp_nyp
That is why I love the Adirondacks...

I think I would wet my pants if I landed a brook trout of that size + color Beautiful fish, thanks for the pics!
My sentiments exactly...well, sort of. BEAUTIFUL fish! Did you eat or release?

Hans in MN
TU Member
Old 10-06-2006, 01:12 AM   #10
wildbrookies

Also, were you using a black woolly bugger,black leech,black stonefly nymph or black helgramite? Can`t quite make the bug out in your nice shots....

If I saw that 20"er surface next to my canoe, I would probably flip the boat trying to grab it,or pass out...thats as long as your arm .......the colors are unbelievable that red belly is the color of blood...and those dots can`t get any bluer...perfect pictures for Boreal Chickadee `s wooden brookie ....what a trophy!!!....at least have a picture blown up and framed of that big guy...they don`t grow that size too often...
"Get your mind off trout,if you can.I know they`ve got you.I can see it. Every fraternity of sufferers knows its brothers.Trout hook men;men don`t hook trout.Better try and throw the hook while you can.By the time you`re a grown man there probably won`t be a pure trout healthy enough to fiddle with"... Quote from Emerson in the book "The Earth Is Enough"by Harry Middleton
wildbrookies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2006, 10:58 AM   #11
trouthunter

Yeah Ive been drawn back to those pics several times since you posted them. That has got to be the most spectacular Brookie Ive ever seen!
Old 10-06-2006, 11:58 AM   #12
i81u812

I turned 50 this year and a few things changed regarding my fishing habits. In the past, I'd keep a few trout to eat. I now release everything I catch. I used to spin fish about half the time and fly fish the other half. Now I fish exclusively with a fly rod (unless I'm trolling for lake trout). I was using a #10 olive woolly bugger on the fish pictured.
Old 10-06-2006, 01:53 PM   #13
trouthunter

I think is cool that you practice catch and release.I also think its okay to keep a few every now and then for the fryin pan especially from a healthy fishery.