Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > The Adirondack Forum > Hunting and Fishing in the Adirondacks
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-05-2006, 04:43 PM   #1
Oglethorpe

Decisions Decisions

Hello fellow Adk enthusiasts,

I am excited to say that this is my first post and hopefully not my last. Thus far I've been merely in the shadows reading through the forum while my registration went through. The reason for this post, probably synonymes with most newbies, is that i am looking for some advice in regards to an upcoming canoecamping/fishing trip next week. One of my good friends just got back from Iraq and I am trying to help him decompress a little while he's home so any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Although I live in the northeast, most of my canoe camping experience comes from trips into the BWCA and Quetico in northern MN. If any of you are familiar with these areas, this is the type of terrain/environment i am trying to explore and fish next week. From what I have read, my three top prospective areas are 1. Ausable river(trout) 2. Middle saranac/Weller pond(Pike, bass) 3. St. Regis Pond(brook,brown,lake trout?). I am trying to get exposure to all species. Does anyone have any suggestions about these areas or others? (good campsites, fishing). Also, how big do the lake trout get in the adirondacks and how deep would they be this time of year?

Like I said any advice would be deeply appreciated! Thanks

Oglethorpe
Oglethorpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2006, 07:42 PM   #2
i81u812

Over in the old forge area I fish for lake trout using "Pink Lady" trolling sinker fished at least 60 ft deep. My experience is that lakers really hold to structure of some type so it is helpful to get a lake map of the area you plan on fishing and study it to find sharp drop offs or lumps. I've read that lakers can be solitary, but I find if I can catch one I'll catch several in the same area. A GPS is handy to mark where you hook up with a fish. I also like to use a small portable fishfinder. Not so much to mark fish as to mark bottom contour. The small fish finder can also help you understand why you caught a fish where you did. It's ususally because of structure of one kind or another. I've found it helpful in early spring when lakers are more dispersed and in shallower water. Lakers will still look for a small break in the bottom structure and hold in that area. In one case, I caught several fish that were holding on a bathtub sized depression and I could catch them no where else that day.
: http://www.luhrjensen.com/prod_lure_...=5550-001-0091
People here have more experience than I but you might consider the fulton chain of lakes, saranac river, or the moose river wilderness area:
http://www.dec.state.ny.us/website/d...moosemapex.pdf
i81u812 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2006, 11:19 AM   #3
chaser
pond jockey

Oglethorpe,I returned yesterday from a 3 day trip to the St. Regis Canoe Area and if you head back there be sure to dress warm, the thermometer in the lean to read 26 degrees Friday morning. Brookies were biting but mostly small ones,I never have much luck in the fall for big brookies. Pharaoh Lake has some real nice size lakers in it but you mostly catch 17-19 inchers waiting for the big Macks to bite.
chaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2006, 02:52 AM   #4
Oglethorpe

Thanks for the input fellas, I'll let you know how we did when i get back
Oglethorpe is offline   Reply With Quote