Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > The Adirondack Forum > General Adirondack Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-02-2018, 06:52 PM   #21
Justin
Moving along

Quote:
Originally Posted by madison View Post
The information that Putnam is not fertile fishing water is a bit of a bummer, and contrary to the info I got from the DEC website and my Sportsmen's Connection fishing guide.
I only said that I didn’t have much luck. I always wanted to spend a little more time there, usually just passing through, and I may try icefishing there soon. I’ll shoot you a pm & let you know how it went.

Last edited by Justin; 02-02-2018 at 07:13 PM..
Justin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2018, 10:52 AM   #22
madison

Thanks, Justin. I'll be sure to let you guys know how the fishing goes there this summer also.
madison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2018, 10:54 AM   #23
DSettahr
ɹǝqɯǝɯ

A bit late on this but I'll chime in-

I'm not a fisherman myself, but my observations in interacting with many of them have lead me to conclude that the Pharaoh Lake WA is not great fishing in general. I don't think it has to do with the ponds themselves not being productive as much as it is related to higher levels of fishing pressure (the area gets more use than many other backcountry areas except for the High Peaks), as well as lower elevations that result in warmer surface water temperatures in the summer.

Every once in a while, folks do get lucky though- I have seen some nice lake trout come out of some of those lakes on an occasional basis. So they definitely are there- again, it's not so much a factor of the lakes being infertile.

If you climb Treadway, I'd suggest paddling across Putnam Pond to shorten the route (if you weren't already planning to do so). Also, from the summit of Treadway, bushwhack a few hundred feet south for an even better view out and over Pharaoh Lake.

Jabe Pond is nice, but I'll agree with the others that the road in can be rough, and it can be a bit of a rowdy spot on a nice weekend. There's also not a lot to do there unless you bring a boat (no trails or anything like that).

Lily Pond is further west and is also nice. I don't know about the fishing but there's easy canoe access. The road in is long but is usually in good shape (although locating the start of the road on Route 8 can be a bit of a challenge). There's a marked trail that leads south along the east shore that can make for a nice, short walk. The trails that head east of there are a bit torn up from illegal motor vehicle use for a bit, but Buttermilk Pond is quiet and remote if you make it out that far.
DSettahr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2018, 10:45 PM   #24
wiiawiwb

I almost stepped on a timber rattler last year on Tongue Mtn. Came within one step (2') before it rattled. I wasn't happy because I got much closer than I expected. Had I been distracted by a jet, birds, or other noise in the woods, I might have stepped on it. That would have been a big problem for me.
wiiawiwb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2018, 11:57 AM   #25
fintastic

....and on a somewhat related note

Does anyone know offhand if the Putnam Pond remote/primitive camp sites have campfire grates? Going there in a few weeks. Ranger told me they have picnic tables and outhouses, but I forgot to ask about grates. Hoping to not have to lug one in with me if I can help it.
Thanks y'all
fintastic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2018, 03:02 PM   #26
Bob K

All of the reservable/fee sites on Putnam pond have round metal fire rings with flip over grates. Height adjustment can be tricky. The bars are wide and not tightly spaced. I would not cook a steak or veggies on one without a better cooking grate.
Bob K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2018, 06:35 PM   #27
fintastic

Thank you Bob K! Good to know. Mainly thinking of just being able to boil my water in a pot over the fire, instead of packing in a stove. Trying to go (perhaps too) minimalist for the too few days that I will be there. Appreciate the reply!
Old 07-06-2018, 07:29 PM   #28
dundee

Quote:
Originally Posted by fintastic View Post
Thank you Bob K! Good to know. Mainly thinking of just being able to boil my water in a pot over the fire, instead of packing in a stove. Trying to go (perhaps too) minimalist for the too few days that I will be there. Appreciate the reply!
Firewood out the woods is very scarce. You can sometimes buy from a local vendor, but it's usually pine, which burns up quickly. You can bring from *IF* you can show it was bought within 50 miles of the campsite. OR bring charcoal briquets. Not as sexy as a campfire, but easy to get going, no insects involved and can b stored in the car in case of rain.
dundee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2018, 09:02 PM   #29
Pauly D.

You can bring kiln dried wood purchased from Stewarts or Price Chopper too. It's hardwood and burns well. The bags have a stamp on them stating they are NYSDEC compliant. I've run into the Ranger at both the Siamese Ponds and Pharaoh Lake Wilderness areas and was told it was ok to burn. As Dundee said scavenging downed firewood during the summer is difficult especially in high-use areas. A lot of the downed stuff is wet too.
Old 07-07-2018, 03:05 PM   #30
fintastic

Thanks guys....I presumed I'd be successful scavanging wood, but now you have me thinking twice. Regardless, I have been thinking of planning to pack in a small stove anyhow now, as I definitely don't want to be caught.being unprepared.
I appreciate the heads up on the likely scarcity of dry blowdown.
Old 07-09-2018, 06:33 PM   #31
madison

Fintastic-

I had no trouble finding dead and down wood at remote site 7 as long as I was willing to walk a little ways. Also, you can buy bags of wood right at the campground, which I did when I paddled back to get more ice and fill water jugs. Then you just need to gather a little kindling.
madison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2018, 04:15 PM   #32
fintastic

That is good to know - Thank you Madison.