Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > The Adirondack Forum > General Adirondack Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-22-2017, 07:51 AM   #61
Terasec

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatorman View Post
I am hardly an expert in this area, but based on what I have observed at a rail car storage area in Arkansas some years ago, the cars need to be moved periodically in order to warm the wheel bearings to prevent them from seizing up. I suspect that this need is even greater in NY than in Arkansas due to the harsh weather.

So if we are not observing a small yard locomotive moving groups of cars once in a while it suggests to me that they are being abandoned rather than stored. This would support Stripperguy's earlier comment regarding an IP ransom scheme.
I dont know about the mechanics of rail cars
With the rigors they go through highly doubt bearings are so vulnerable
From pics /videos i have seen these rail cars do not look that old
Rail cars beyond use are usually alot older, and quite obvious on their age
Rail cars stored by my land were alot older than these cars and they were still being used
Terasec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2017, 04:14 PM   #62
BillyGr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terasec View Post
From pics /videos i have seen these rail cars do not look that old
Rail cars beyond use are usually alot older, and quite obvious on their age
Rail cars stored by my land were alot older than these cars and they were still being used
I believe in this case (since they are the tanker type cars) it had to do with rules prohibiting the use of certain types of cars (only having one shell rather than a double one) after the couple issues with explosions and accidents.

Thus they are probably not as old as others that would be put out of service, but were due to the rules changing (and, probably figuring to keep them in case those rules changed again in the future, rather than fully disposing of them as might more likely be done with those no longer functional at all).
BillyGr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2017, 09:15 PM   #63
cuterocky
Kalie

The rail cars are being removed!

https://dailygazette.com/article/201...om-adirondacks
CL50 #506
ADK 11/46

I Should Go Hiking...
cuterocky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2017, 09:15 PM   #64
Gatorman

Some good news regarding the tank cars. Union Tank Car has agreed to removes 65 cars stored by Iowa Pacific. The company also stated that it will no longer store any rail cars in the Adirondacks.

http://www.mcclatchydc.com/news/poli...191696124.html

Bertrand Russell
Gatorman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2018, 10:54 AM   #65
Justin
Moving along

Saw this today & wanted to pass it along...
https://www.adirondackalmanack.com/2...on-payday.html
Justin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2018, 03:26 PM   #66
Buckladd

Yeah, this guy is trying strong arm Warren County Supervisors. I don't see them paying him $5M.
Old 04-06-2018, 07:47 PM   #67
Justin
Moving along

Im wondering if there are any legal grounds for being recorded & saying I give my word on camera at an official government meeting, even though it was never put into writing...?
Isnt that kind of like the same thing as lying under oath in a court of law... no?
Old 04-06-2018, 08:45 PM   #68
stripperguy
Hangin' by a thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin View Post
Im wondering if there are any legal grounds for being recorded & saying I give my word on camera at an official government meeting, even though it was never put into writing...?
Isnt that kind of like the same thing as lying under oath in a court of law... no?
Per the article the other day in the TU, yes, that oral statement would be legally binding.
Old 04-06-2018, 08:57 PM   #69
Buckladd

Are the tankers supposed to be empty? If so, perhaps an OSHA or HAZMAT audit should be in order?
Old 04-06-2018, 09:51 PM   #70
vtflyfish
Brookie Addict

From the mouth of Woodie Guthrie:
As through this world you wander
You'll meet lots of funny men.
Some will rob you with a six gun
And some with a fountain pen.

Anybody on the forum have their own locomotive? Might be time to park these oil tank cars in front of this guy's house...
Old 04-06-2018, 10:21 PM   #71
timberghost
I bear therefore I am

Quote:
Considering Ellis is not a public official and probably has not taken any oath or swearing in, his word is what it is...

In any legal matter, the person testifying / being deposed swears before the court to tell the truth, the whole truth, and nothing but the truth. Thus by breaking that promise, the person is in contempt of court.

It's a shame that pile of waste slag will probably remain an eye sore at Tahawus.

Corporate "contributions" are nothing new, take the broadband for all initiative, the places that are not getting a cable connection are being 'covered' by paying hughes net tens if not hundreds of thousands of taxpayer dollars...
Not a single reporter has asked what that money 'buys' the state / residents - it's not building infrastructure in NY, it's not removing data caps for NY residents - what benefit does this subsidy bring to NY residents?
Old 04-07-2018, 08:44 AM   #72
aft paddle

Quote:
Originally Posted by stripperguy View Post
Per the article the other day in the TU, yes, that oral statement would be legally binding.
Quote:
2:40 states my understanding on oral amendment to written contract.
aft paddle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2018, 05:52 PM   #73
tgoodwin

According to a post on another site (Adirondack Almanack) the tailings pile is being used by local road crews and will actually slowly disappear. If the railroad were to start shipping a train a week, the pile would only last a few years. Then, the railroad would have start digging into some older piles that already have vegetation growing on them. According to that post, it would not exactly "improve" the view from Mt. Adams. The reality is that there is no market for the quality of material available straight off that pile when that material has to be shipped many miles and go through several transfers.
Old 04-08-2018, 04:35 PM   #74
Justin
Moving along

Quote:
Originally Posted by stripperguy View Post
I've been following Iowa Pacific's maneuverings for some time now.
They have strategically placed old train cars in other areas throughout the US, usually in sensitive and/or disruptive locations, then negotiated for a settlement to remove said cars.
Kind of like a ransom in reverse. I see they have already made their initial ransom demands here...
Did anyone really believe that tailings transport plan?

I have faith that NYS and the APA (and maybe DEC) will devise a way to oust these leeches without excessive taxpayer burden.
Spot on!
Old 04-09-2018, 08:13 PM   #75
dpc34

When the tailings are gone then the real war will begin....A lot of land to be developed there....start looking at the big picture...rail car storage is the minor issue here....just saying
dpc34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2018, 02:25 PM   #76
equyst

sub'd to this thread
equyst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2018, 02:54 PM   #77
cuterocky
Kalie

Quote:
Originally Posted by equyst View Post
sub'd to this thread
FYI, there's a nifty "Subscribe to this thread" option under Thread Tools at the top of each thread to prevent multiple posts that add no content to the conversations
CL50 #506
ADK 11/46

I Should Go Hiking...
cuterocky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2018, 03:16 PM   #78
WBB

http://www.adirondackdailyenterprise...tourist-train/

Seems as the town of Horicon is done with them. Now that Paul Mitchell has purchased the mine at Tahawus,there's not much left for SNCRs or Iowa Pacific to do but try to cut the best deal they can.
WBB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2018, 04:54 PM   #79
Wldrns

They're back!

Before the oil tankers occupied the Adirondack region proper, many hundreds of them spent the summer along several miles of track along Route 12 between Boonville and Lyons Falls, just outside the western edge of the Adirondacks.
Now that they have been successfully evacuated from inside the blue Line they are back, as the eyesore that they are along the edge of Tug Hill, very close to the Black River.

Old 04-17-2018, 05:06 PM   #80
Justin
Moving along

No graffiti (I mean artwork) on those tankers?