Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > The Adirondack Forum > General Adirondack Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-06-2017, 07:48 PM   #1
Festus

Boreas Ponds gate closed for season

Was up the Boreas Ponds road today and met the ranger closing the first gate (down near the highway) for the winter...
Festus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2017, 08:06 PM   #2
Justin
Moving along

Nice!
It has become a fun & popular cross country ski route during the winter months, hopefully it stays that way.
Justin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2017, 09:20 AM   #3
Muddy Creek

What is suggested for winter parking? I've read that roadside parking on Blue Ridge Rd. is permitted but not sure if that applies in the winter. Google maps show no parking areas near the road but Google aerial views are not always current.

I'm planning a Christmas weekend trip to the ponds. Might try to camp in the pickup at the Wolf Pond trail parking area when I get there late Friday night but would like to move the truck back up to Gulf Brook Rd for the hike-in on Saturday.

Suggestions?

Wayne
Muddy Creek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2017, 09:30 AM   #4
Justin
Moving along

A large parking area was created last year near the beginning of Gulf Brook Rd about 100 yards up from Blue Ridge Rd. However, it wasn’t plowed out last winter, so people just parked along the shoulder.
Old 12-12-2017, 09:41 AM   #5
tgoodwin

The lot was plowed in the early part of the winter. I guess either the snow became too deep or there weren't enough people using it, so they just stopped plowing. Seems that with this promised $13 million "gateway" promised to North Hudson they could do better at plowing one of the resources supposedly accessed from this gateway.
Old 12-12-2017, 10:04 AM   #6
Muddy Creek

Thanks Justin & tgoodwin. Good to know about the new lot. I keep a good shovel in the truck and have shoveled out a space when the snow wasn't crazy deep. Nothing like warming up for a trek by doing a days work first.
Muddy Creek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2017, 11:09 AM   #7
Justin
Moving along

Quote:
Originally Posted by tgoodwin View Post
Seems that with this promised $13 million "gateway" promised to North Hudson they could do better at plowing one of the resources supposedly accessed from this gateway.
Same goes for the trailheads to Bass Lake, one of which is only minutes from Exit 29, and has been blocked by a parked tractor trailer for quite a while... wtf
https://youtu.be/l1Fz6N4kZMk
Old 12-12-2017, 12:43 PM   #8
TCD

Justin,

You know I think the Bass Lake "Caza Family Trailhead" is a special situation. That trail has long been missing from maps, and is not generally publicized. I think the family that owns the land at the trailhead has a special arrangement of some sort with the state (maybe as part of some easement language?).

At Boreas, there's no excuse. Just the usual "we need more, more, more land, but we won't allocate the resources to maintain it." No surprise.
TCD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2017, 12:56 PM   #9
Justin
Moving along

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCD View Post
Justin,

You know I think the Bass Lake "Caza Family Trailhead" is a special situation. That trail has long been missing from maps, and is not generally publicized. I think the family that owns the land at the trailhead has a special arrangement of some sort with the state (maybe as part of some easement language?).
Ok thanks Tom, I thought it is/was a public right-of-way to state land access.
I also find it a little odd that the public access route to the Walker Brook trail is also still officially unmarked. It’s too bad, there’s so much to enjoy in this area but it seems the town doesn’t want to make it easy for the public to know about it, yet they want more tourism.
Old 12-12-2017, 01:19 PM   #10
montcalm
Mobster

Of course they want tourism, they just don't want that kind of tourism.
montcalm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2017, 01:28 PM   #11
Justin
Moving along

Quote:
Originally Posted by montcalm View Post
Of course they want tourism, they just don't want that kind of tourism.

Ha...I knew that was coming. I was almost going to edit my post saying the same, but I saw that you were logged in.
Old 12-12-2017, 01:29 PM   #12
TCD

I think that more often than we realize, there is specific easement language that controls trail signage and marking. I have seen a few other situations over the many years (can't remember specifically where now) where a trailhead or access was unmarked, and my understanding was that NOT putting up signs or markers was a specific condition in the easement language.

So I'm not sure it's the town, or any other local authority that controls that. But I think you'd have to really research it to understand it.

In the Bass Lake situation, from Caza Turn Road, the trail passes over private land for about 150 yards before entering state land. So somewhere, there is an easement on file that dictates the conditions of that access.
TCD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2017, 01:40 PM   #13
Justin
Moving along

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCD View Post
In the Bass Lake situation, from Caza Turn Road, the trail passes over private land for about 150 yards before entering state land. So somewhere, there is an easement on file that dictates the conditions of that access.
Would that dictation change over time?
I remember many years ago being able to park at the end of that short little access road, and never once had any issues. That tractor trailer has been parked there for at least the past 5 years every time I’ve been by, essentially blocking public access for anyone that doesn’t know that it is in fact a public trail into state land.

Last edited by Justin; 12-12-2017 at 01:50 PM..
Old 12-12-2017, 01:55 PM   #14
montcalm
Mobster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin View Post

Ha...I knew that was coming. I was almost going to edit my post saying the same, but I saw that you were logged in.
I'm predictable, if anything.

It's the sad reality though. Seems all these programs for "tourism" want luxury SUVs looking for theme parks or trailers of snow machines rather than Subarus full of dirty hikers.

I get it, there is a lot more money to be made off the former, but it doesn't exactly promote the "forever wild" character and the buzz word of "eco" tourism.

I think it's the typical we'll call it this, but do this, and see how much more we can commercialize the Adirondacks.
montcalm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2017, 05:27 PM   #15
Neil
Kayak-46

Is there a speed limit for snowmobiles on Gulf Brook Road?
Old 12-12-2017, 07:44 PM   #16
Justin
Moving along

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil View Post
Is there a speed limit for snowmobiles on Gulf Brook Road?
It may depend on whom you call & speak to from DEC to find out what is & isn't allowed on Gulf Brook Rd.
Old 12-18-2017, 03:19 PM   #17
Justin
Moving along

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin View Post
Same goes for the trailheads to Bass Lake, one of which is only minutes from Exit 29, and has been blocked by a parked tractor trailer for quite a while...
FWIW... I drove by this past weekend and noticed the trailer was gone.