Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > The Adirondack Forum > General Adirondack Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-11-2017, 09:31 AM   #1
Neil
Kayak-46

Moose River Plains Road closure?

I was wondering if the MRP road (and the CRR beyond the snowplow turnaround) closes on a set date or if it remains open until it snows. I see that the Gulf Brook Rd. is closed but Coreys rd. will remain open all winter.
Old 12-11-2017, 09:39 AM   #2
Wldrns

Neil,

Ranger Jenifer Temple 315-261-2908 or 315-354-4409 is the ranger responsible for that area and is the best source for your desired information. She lives with her husband, Ranger Gary Miller, at the rte 28 turn off for the village of Raquette Lake.
Old 12-11-2017, 09:42 AM   #3
Muddy Creek

Closed. I had checked the DEC site since I was planning on a pre-Christmas trip north.

"The Cedar River and Limekiln gates are closed and the Moose River Plains Road System is closed to public motor vehicle traffic until the end of the spring mud season. The gates will be reopened for snowmobilers to use the main road and other designated snowmobile trails once enough snow has accumulated. (12/7)"
Muddy Creek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2017, 10:40 AM   #4
Bounder45

Technically the road itself doesn't really get gated off (at least it hasn't been in years past). There are signs put out saying that motorized traffic, other than snowmobile taffic, is prohibited. There have been some years where it made more sense to drive down the road rather than to ride a snowmobile due to the lack of snow.
Bounder45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2017, 12:03 PM   #5
Muddy Creek

I just took the DEC website notice saying that the gates are closed to mean that the gates are closed.

I haven't been up there recently to actually confirm they are physically closed and not "technically" closed.

Wayne
Muddy Creek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2017, 01:22 PM   #6
Bark Eater Too

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bounder45 View Post
Technically the road itself doesn't really get gated off (at least it hasn't been in years past). There are signs put out saying that motorized traffic, other than snowmobile taffic, is prohibited. There have been some years where it made more sense to drive down the road rather than to ride a snowmobile due to the lack of snow.
And if Mr. or Ms. Ranger finds you driving down the road when it is closed you likely will get ticketed.
Bark Eater Too is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2017, 03:33 PM   #7
SpencerVT

I'd be more worried about getting stuck. If there even was cell service, just imagine that AAA call:
"Where are you stuck sir?"
"17 miles down the Moose River Plains Road"
"Screw that!"

Hahahaha
Old 12-16-2017, 04:02 PM   #8
peskypup

Moose River Plains: The gates on the Moose River Plains Road (the Limekiln Lake / Cedar River Road) and the Seventh Lake Mountain snowmobile trail are open for snowmobiling. There are fair to good snowmobile trail conditions at Indian Lake, Raquette Lake, Inlet, Old Forge, and Big Moose. (12/14)

https://www.adirondackalmanack.com/2...ns-dec-14.html
peskypup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2017, 04:54 PM   #9
Bounder45

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muddy Creek View Post
I just took the DEC website notice saying that the gates are closed to mean that the gates are closed.

I haven't been up there recently to actually confirm they are physically closed and not "technically" closed.

Wayne
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bark Eater Too View Post
And if Mr. or Ms. Ranger finds you driving down the road when it is closed you likely will get ticketed.
I realize people on here get quite worked up at the even the slightest suggestion of breaking a rule, but I wasn't making that suggestion.

I was saying that the gates are not normally closed (technically was the term I used to convey that).

I also noted that during some years of poor snowfall the roads are not well-suited to snowmobile traffic.

I'm simply providing feedback to the original post.
Bounder45 is offline   Reply With Quote