Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > The Adirondack Forum > General Adirondack Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-20-2017, 06:45 PM   #1
Bounder45

Status of snowmobile connector trails

I didn't catch the recent development on this issue until just now. Apparently a state judge dismissed the lawsuit initiated by Protect ADK's and the DEC has the go-ahead to continue with the snowmobile community connector trails.

https://www.adirondackexplorer.org/o...ed-adirondacks

I had never really looked into where the DEC was proposing to put these trails, but based on the map I found over at ADK Almanack, the trails seem to closely parallel existing roads in the Newcomb, Minerva, North Hudson areas: https://www.adirondackalmanack.com/2...-approved.html
Bounder45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2017, 07:01 PM   #2
Buckladd

Here's DEC's plan...
http://www.dec.ny.gov/docs/lands_forests_pdf/cctp.pdf
Old 12-20-2017, 07:05 PM   #3
Bounder45

Thanks.
Old 12-20-2017, 07:12 PM   #4
DuctTape
Out of Shape

Will the creation of these trails result in closing of others? I thought there was a cap or something on the mileage?

My trail journal: DuctTape's Journal
DuctTape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2017, 08:30 PM   #5
Justin
Moving along

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bounder45 View Post
I had never really looked into where the DEC was proposing to put these trails, but based on the map I found over at ADK Almanack, the trails seem to closely parallel existing roads in the Newcomb, Minerva, North Hudson areas: https://www.adirondackalmanack.com/2...-approved.html
Looks like there’s no need for a “connector trail” to & from LeBiere Flow.
Justin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2017, 10:27 AM   #6
Muddy Creek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin View Post
Looks like there’s no need for a “connector trail” to & from LeBiere Flow.
No need but I'm sure there will be a lot of whining if it's not provided.

"Forever motorized?"

Wayne
Muddy Creek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2017, 03:47 PM   #7
Bounder45

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muddy Creek View Post
No need but I'm sure there will be a lot of whining if it's not provided.
There has been a lot of whining on both sides.

A lot of full-time residents up there are inclined to see these connector trails get built for the added snowmobile traffic (and associated tourist spending) they will bring. How much more spending is up for debate, but every little bit counts for some of these towns that pretty much shut down in the dead of winter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muddy Creek View Post
"Forever motorized?"
'Forever wild' does not preclude motorized traffic in certain areas of the park (Wild Forest for example). The snowmobile traffic will be mostly limited to the main traffic corridors; there is no lack of motor-free areas in the adjacent Wild Forest for the snowshoers and skiers to enjoy. I really don't think anyone's recreational habits are going to be adversely affected by this plan, despite all the commotion it has caused.
Old 12-21-2017, 04:03 PM   #8
Buckladd

DEC's plan outlines two alternatives for a N. Hudson to Newcomb trail. One would involve tree cutting, but parallel Blue Ridge Road. The other would use the existing Gulf Brook and Trout Pond Roads, and turns southwest towards the Tahawus Club just past LaBier Flow. One of the classification plans for Boreas Ponds called for allowing a snowmobile trail around the ponds. We'll see what happens whenever the APA makes a decision.