Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > The Adirondack Forum > Paddling in the Adirondacks
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-16-2018, 02:02 PM   #1
Viking

Question on Solo Plus

Good afternoon,

Backstory - this saga all started some years ago but then life got in the way. Getting it going again.

Quest to build small quiver of solo canoes - wanted one for rivers and one for lakes. I bring comfort gear and lots of it when the portaging isn't too bad. I am 270 lbs. and 6' 2" with extremely short legs. Large wingspan. Sit and switch. Week long+ trips. Coolers, fish finders, wet bar, the whole thing.

Great help from the boards. Narrowed it down to a Rockstar for the twisty bits and a Wilderness for the flats.

Two years ago while washing my canoe in the front yard my 65lb dog jumped in. Now he is a fixture on just the flatwater trips. Even has his own Thermarest and my 70's era North Face Puma jacket for a sleeping bag.

Question - while I believe the Wilderness would be fine for me and my comfort gear on the flats I am wondering if I need to go larger due to the added weight and his comfort gear. I do love my dog.

I really don't want to mod a tandem. Would a Solo Plus rigged dedicated solo do the trick? I have been searching forums and can't quite square this away in my mind. Some feel it is a good solo but with no rocker it doesn't turn well, which for this application I feel would be ok.

I appreciate any help.

Thank you.

Viking
Viking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2018, 07:09 AM   #2
madmike

I think I would pick up a Royalex tandem, and add it to the fleet. Not TOO heavy, and super versatile.
madmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2018, 12:34 PM   #3
charlie wilson

There are newer hulls available. The rockstar will be very difficult to find, bur Swift has a new 14X32 Prospector solo and Savage River a new 15X32 solo. The Swift will be available at several Adk area dealers, the Savage?, and try Hemlock Canoes Eaglet Solo, also 15X32. It has the least rocker of the three but does not carry those rediculous Canadian curved stems.

The Solo Plus is a marginal redesign of Bell's Bob Brown designed Fusion. It was a good day when we discontinued that boat. It was too narrow at the tandem stations for stable tandem travel, and the extreme length with zero rocker rendered it a handful to maneuver solo.
charlie wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2018, 02:40 PM   #4
Viking

Thank you, Charlie for the response.

I re-read my post and found I did not articulate my message very clearly.

I did purchase the Rockstar some time back. This was based generally on input from the boards and specifically due to a short list that you provided at the time, i.e my Clydesdale class proportions resulted in three options; a Swift, the Rockstar and the Wilderness.

I am still all in on a lightweight Wilderness to haul my comfort gear if that makes sense. Just unsure if the added 65lb pooch would push me more towards a higher capacity hull than the Wilderness.

Sorry for the confusion, and thank you.

Viking
Viking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2018, 12:38 AM   #5
Canoe Repair Shop

The wilderness has a waterline width of 29.75". I'm winging it here but the longer solo plus is 31.75. Compare Wenonah's Adirondack 16' tandem at 34.75 at the WL. I've never hauled dogs in my solo but I'd feel more comfortable in a nimble tandem. Hey, it's still winter, you have time to decide!

Last edited by Canoe Repair Shop; 02-23-2018 at 01:08 AM..
Canoe Repair Shop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2018, 01:30 AM   #6
Canoe Repair Shop

Or the Wenonah 15' Heron tandem with 1.25" rocker would be more manageable than a 16'er, and paddling in the bow seat in reverse nearly puts you over center. Heron is 35" at the waterline, so starting to get recreational not so much touring or performance.
Canoe Repair Shop is offline   Reply With Quote