Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > The Adirondack Forum > General Adirondack Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-25-2018, 12:04 PM   #1
madison

Pharoah Lake Wilderness/Lake George camping questions

Hey All,

I'm beginning plans for my family's Adirondack summer vacation, this year occurring the week of July4th (1st-8th). I've made a reservation for one of the remote sites on the pond at Putnam Pond Campground for the 1st half of the week. For the 2nd part, I'm thinking of staying around Lake George, where I haven't been for almost 15 years.

I'm looking at 3 campgrounds near Lake George- Rodger's Rock, Hearthstone Point, and Lake George Battleground. I'm wondering if anyone has any opinions or information to offer regarding these. Normally I'm not much for campground loop camping, but since we'll be primitive camping for the 1st half of the week, my wife would like a more "civilized" setting for the last few days, with the option to check out the village of Lake George. I wouldn't mind also having the option to take my kayak out on the lake, and perhaps a 3-6 mile hike to a place of interest (backcountry pond, peak, overlook, etc.)

I also have a few questions regarding Putnam Pond/Pharoah Lake wilderness. We're planning to spend most of time paddling around the lake and fishing, and dayhiking to the nearby ponds and Treadway mountain. 1st, can anyone comment about the quality of fishing on Putnam? I know there are pike, bass, and perch, and that tiger muskies have been stocked in the past. Are they still in there? I know they don't breed and Idon't know when the last stocking was. I've never caught a muskie.

As for the nearby ponds- Rock, Clear, and Grizzle Ocean- my fishing guide lists these as trout ponds. I'm wondering if anyone has had any luck fishing from shore here in high summer, or will I need to carry in a boat to have any chance of catching trout?

Any recommendations or insights are appreciated.
madison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2018, 01:47 PM   #2
Justin
Moving along

I for one have never had much luck fishing Putnam Pond (though I might try icefishing there in a few weeks), and I also never had much luck fishing the trout Ponds in the Pharaoh region during July.
Justin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2018, 04:05 PM   #3
dundee

I would say Rogers Rock is the best on the lake. You couldn't get me to stay at Hearthstone or Battlegrounds; too many idiots staying there.
dundee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2018, 08:21 PM   #4
stripperguy
Hangin' by a thread

Out of the 3, Rogers Rock would be least objectionable. If you do stay there, take a trip to nearby Jabe Pond, you'll like it.
Old 01-25-2018, 10:10 PM   #5
peskypup

Roger's Rock is by far the best of the 3 Lake George campgrounds mentioned, however, it's a good 45 minutes drive or more down to the village, so not practical if your wife's goal is to check out the village. Fort Ticonderoga is a good stop if you do end up at that end of the lake.

The northern end of the lake will be better (less crowded) for kayaking. Roger's Slide is a nice paddle from the campground. That time of year, your chances of spotting someone climbing it are pretty good.

If you do choose Roger's Rock, your nearest hiking option is Cook Mt. Visit lglc.org for trail description and hiking maps. Down the lake a bit you have the Tongue Mt Range (5th Peak fits your bill at ~5miles) or Cat & Mountain Preserve (variable lengths depending on route). Just round the northern end of the lake in Putnam is the trail up Record Hill/Anthony's Nose. Maps and trail descriptions for all but Tongue are available at http://www.lglc.org.
peskypup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2018, 12:28 AM   #6
madison

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin View Post
I for one have never had much luck fishing Putnam Pond (though I might try icefishing there in a few weeks), and I also never had much luck fishing the trout Ponds in the Pharaoh region during July.
That's not great news, considering I have seen video evidence of your bass catching prowess. If the deadly bloody rapala didn't work, my lowly mepps spinners and plastic worms don't stand a chance!

Stripperguy- I don't know much about Jabe Pond. Is there a carry? Good fishing? Are motors allowed? Any campsites on the pond? From the Nat Geo map it looks intriguing.

Thanks, everyone, for the advice and info. I'm leaning toward booking a site at Roger's Rock, with day trips to 5 mile mountain and Jabe Pond.
Old 01-26-2018, 06:09 AM   #7
Pat T
aka "Mother Nature"

All good suggestions here.

Jabe Pond is definitely worth the trip but the road in can be rough if you have a low clearance vehicle.

Another great canoe/kayak trip would be Lake George/Northwest Bay Brook, launch at the fishing access on Route 9N.

Pat T
Pat T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2018, 08:38 AM   #8
stripperguy
Hangin' by a thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by madison View Post
That's not great news, considering I have seen video evidence of your bass catching prowess. If the deadly bloody rapala didn't work, my lowly mepps spinners and plastic worms don't stand a chance!

Stripperguy- I don't know much about Jabe Pond. Is there a carry? Good fishing? Are motors allowed? Any campsites on the pond? From the Nat Geo map it looks intriguing.

Thanks, everyone, for the advice and info. I'm leaning toward booking a site at Roger's Rock, with day trips to 5 mile mountain and Jabe Pond.
Madison,
Depending on your vehicle, you may be able to drive close to the put in.
Motors? I think not.
Fishing? Dunno, I don't partake.
Campsites? Yes.

And as Pat T says, it's a nice paddle on Northwest Bay too.
If you use the photo link in my sig, I have photos of both spots...in fact, one of the Jabe Pond photos was in the ADK forum calendar!
Old 01-30-2018, 09:22 AM   #9
madison

Thanks to everyone for the info and suggestions. I've booked a site at Roger's Rock for the latter part of the week and am tentatively planning day trips to the Tongue Mt Range and Jabe Pond. A couple of follow up questions:

5 Mile Mt vs 5th Peak? Looks like roughly the same distance on the map. We probably won't have time to do both. Also, has anyone taken the trail to Deer Leap? I'm wondering if there's a view or overlook there.

Rattlesnakes?! I did a little research about the Tongue Range and discovered that it sports a population of rattlesnakes. I haven't told the wife yet- this could be a dealbreaker for her. Has anyone actually encountered one of these delightful critters here?

And one last question about Jabe Pond- I saw somewhere someone made a comparison between Jabe and Good Luck Lake. Am I likely to encounter the party crowd here? I don't expect to be paddling alone on a summer weekend, but I'd prefer to avoid keggers and blasting pop music if possible.
Old 01-30-2018, 07:43 PM   #10
Bob K

My info some years ago but, in my opinion, 5th mtn has a better view but is a tougher (steep) climb. The 5 mile mtn trail offers a good view (east to the lake) after only a mile or 2 - you have to veer E just off the trail. This occurs not long before the leanto is reached (at which point modest view W). I hiked past there a few times but never got a much better view (I may not have gone far enough).

I think that the trailhead for 5 Mile is the same as Deer Leap. Yes there is a nice view across the lake to Huletts Landing. Not as much workout to get to DL.

Have been to Jabe a few times (not recently). It gets some abuse, likely mostly on weekends. Nice paddle, and I had a nice campsite away from the launch with minimal people seen (non weekend). I removed lots of cans & other debris from a campsite closer to the road. Not much hiking from there on trails.
Bob K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2018, 09:05 PM   #11
dundee

Yes, Deer Leap and 5 Mile are at the same trailhead. 5 Mile is a longer, but more gradual climb and sees fewer hikes than 5th peak. I guess you could say it's more of a "wilderness experience". Views from all locations.

Yes, there are snakes. Although they are an endangered species, Tongue Mt. is where most of them are. On some trips you may encounter them, on others you won't. They are HARMLESS! They want nothing to do with people and if you leave them alone, they will leave you alone. Good idea to leash your dog, tho. I have seen several and the rare is just letting you know that they are there, it is not a sign that they will attack. They don't attack people, but will defend themselves if you try to pick them up or disturb them. Just walk around and go on your way.

Jabe Pond is a drive-up site and could attract the wrong crowd. I would make it a day paddle and not spend the night there. You never know.
Old 01-30-2018, 10:56 PM   #12
peskypup

If you could plan your trip to hit Jabe on a week day vs weekend, it might be a more pleasant experience.

There's an overlook on Deer Leap, but I found it somewhat disappointing. For better views (and potentially fewer rattlesnakes) for a similar effort, I'd head for Cat Mt in Bolton Landing. For a more secluded experience check out Pole Hill Pond Preserve and the views from Walnut Ridge.
peskypup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2018, 11:57 AM   #13
Buckladd

Campgrounds: Any of the three on Lake George will be busy the first week in July and Rogers is definitely the best. Book now!

Fishing: If trout is what your after, they could be sluggish in July, but try Gull Pond on the western edge of the Pharaoh Lake Wilderness or even Crane if you don't mind the road. There are lakers in there. Other ponds to consider depending on where you wind up camping are Trout and Edgecomb in Bolton. I've had little luck with Putnam. Otherwise, there's some good bass in Lake George right around Rogers Rock, and lakers and salmon if you have the gear.

Snakes: Yes, rattlesnakes are around Tongue Mt.
Old 02-01-2018, 06:34 PM   #14
Justin
Moving along

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckladd View Post
Fishing: If trout is what your after, try Crane if you don't mind the road. There are lakers in there.
I’m there several times a year (often during summer) & haven’t had any luck with these since I was a child.
Old 02-01-2018, 07:08 PM   #15
Buckladd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin View Post
Iím there several times a year (often during summer) & havenít had any luck with these since I was a child.
I have never fished there, but I know people who do and have caught trout. They just changed a regulation there if I recall.
Old 02-01-2018, 07:16 PM   #16
Justin
Moving along

Quote:
They just changed a regulation there if I recall.
Hmmmm...
Old 02-01-2018, 08:10 PM   #17
Pauly D.

Quote:

Snakes: Yes, rattlesnakes are around Tongue Mt.
The snakes are the best thing about the Tongue Range. If your lucky you'll see one!
Old 02-02-2018, 10:11 AM   #18
Buckladd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pauly D. View Post
The snakes are the best thing about the Tongue Range. If your lucky you'll see one!
Same with Hogtown in recent years, and South Bay for that matter. I was very careful up there during the later part of the turkey season.
Old 02-02-2018, 01:12 PM   #19
madison

The information that Putnam is not fertile fishing water is a bit of a bummer, and contrary to the info I got from the DEC website and my Sportsmen's Connection fishing guide. They both claim that largemouth bass, smallmouth bass and pike are plentiful and big. The guide was published in the 90's though. Sounds like things have changed since then. Oh well. Guess I'll just spend my time paddling lazily around hiking to the nearby ponds.

As for the snakes, I think I'll wait till we're at the trailhead to tell my wife about them.
Old 02-02-2018, 03:04 PM   #20
dundee

Quote:
Originally Posted by madison View Post

As for the snakes, I think I'll wait till we're at the trailhead to tell my wife about them.
No, tell her when your reach your destination, or even after you get home!