Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > The Adirondack Forum > General Adirondack Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-09-2018, 10:21 AM   #1
Nairb

Cranberry 50 campsites

Hello everyone. I'm planning on hiking the cranberry lake 50 this year and was hoping to get some recommendations on where to see up camp each night. I'm hoping to get enough time off work to be able to take my time and enjoy it. Any tips would be appreciated.
Nairb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2018, 02:41 PM   #2
DuctTape
Out of Shape

daily mileages?

My trail journal: DuctTape's Journal
DuctTape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2018, 03:04 PM   #3
Golddragon214

Go to the Cranberry Lake 50 website and look around. There is a map of all the camp sites on the route. Just keep in mind that places like High Falls gets crowded during the weekends as do other sites.

http://cranberrylake50.org
Golddragon214 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2018, 03:59 PM   #4
dundee

Depending on what time of year you're going and where you stop, it can be crowded. The busy spots are High Falls, as Dragon says, and the sites along the lake itself. When you head into the interior of the trail, the population declines.

There are some nice sites like Clear (Hedgehog) Pond and Dog Pond.
dundee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2018, 05:48 AM   #5
Nairb

Thank you for the input. As far as daily mileages, that will depend on how much time off I can get but I'm hoping to have up to 4 days. From what I've read so far that seems to be plenty of time to complete the trail. I will definitely try to plan the trip so that I'm hitting the high falls area on a weekday as opposed to a weekend to try to avoid the crowds. Does anyone have an opinion on whether I should get the road walk portion out of the way in the beginning, or save it for the end?
Nairb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2018, 07:41 AM   #6
dundee

Get the road walk out of the way, IMO. I hate rode walking, so that's what I'd do. The High Falls truck trail is an old rail bed with a gravel bed. It's almost as bad as a blacktop road. Were I to do it again, I'd get that out of the way 2nd.
dundee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2018, 09:33 AM   #7
vtpaws

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nairb View Post
Hello everyone. I'm planning on hiking the cranberry lake 50 this year and was hoping to get some recommendations on where to see up camp each night. I'm hoping to get enough time off work to be able to take my time and enjoy it. Any tips would be appreciated.

The Cranberry Lake 50 is a gem. Itís a beautiful - less traveled part of the Adirondacks. If you like to fly fish, bring a pack rod. You will be passing some great trout ponds ( I wonít say which ones - discovery is most of the fun.)

I like camping at Olmstead Pond. The star gazing is amazing. If you take a spur towards Wolf Pond ( between High Rock and High Falls) - there is a nice campsite on hill just before the bridge over the Oswegatchie. Again - itís a great place for star gazing.

There is also a nice site along the trail on East Flow on Cranberry Lake ( the last one on the Lake before you climb up to Hedgehog Pond - if hiking in that direction). There is a gravely beach and itís great for swimming. There is good bass fishing along this shore if you like to fish ( ok I spilled it).

There are many beautiful sites - these just come to mind as I watch the snow fall.

Have fun! If you see someone hiking with a German Shepard and a pack rod - itís probably me.
vtpaws is online now   Reply With Quote