Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > The Adirondack Forum > General Adirondack Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-15-2019, 10:18 AM   #21
gebbyfish

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCD View Post
The 46ers have done a great job of covering this on a part time basis at Cascade, too; but it's a drop in the bucket.

We can dream up all kinds of schemes to somehow cover this with volunteers. But the reality is all these schemes are inadequate, and fraught with problems, as described above. I'm not opposed to any of the volunteer efforts except for one thing: All these efforts really do is provide yet another excuse for the State to continue to REFUSE to do the right thing.

As a taxpayer (in the highest taxed state in the country) and a frequent traveler in the resource, this is really quite disappointing. I have made my feelings known strongly to my State representatives. Others should as well.
Totally agree! There are just not enough volunteers to fill the need and as is true of any organization that depends on volunteers, it's the same people over and over again who step up and if you keep putting more on their plate, burnout is the inevitable outcome and then you're out volunteers and then it's back to square one. The state needs to hire more rangers, who have authority, as opposed to volunteers, to interact with hikers in the front country and be a more visible presence.
gebbyfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2019, 12:32 PM   #22
Terasec

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hear the Footsteps View Post
I got interested in the actual bill rather than the GO East simplified version

Here is a link. It's asking for DEC to do 3 year pilot program. It is being introduced for the 4th time since 2011. Same document exactly. The sponsor represents in Greene and Schoharie Counties. The sponsor and co-sponsors are all from the Republican Caucus. Nothing bipartisan. In a Democrat controlled Assembly will this bill go anywhere?

A pilot could be directed at places such as Kaaterskill Falls (in the sponsors's district) where there are frequent injuries and rescues and where there have been fatalities. The state has already invested improving this area. Better signage, large fonts, pictograms, situated at the trailheads identifying hazards prominently might help some. There is already a sign at the path to the middle pool at Kaaterskill Falls with "Deaths Have Occurred in this Area" Perhaps it's better to place these signs at the trail head too - won't help people determined to put themselves at risk but a warning to parents with children well ahead of a hazard couldn't hurt.

https://trackbill.com/bill/new-york-...ogram/1673548/
I wouldn't support such a bill as written
too vague on what constitutes overlooks and hazards
I would hate to go hiking and be bombarded with signs along the trail,
such warnings are already present at many parking areas/trailheads, that can be improved, but keep the signs out of the woods
as for apparel, a lot of that is subjective,
I can be at the same trailhead with another group, they could be headed out on a multiday excursion, dressed way differently than myself I could be just looking for a place to eat my lunch, wearing street shoes and lunch bag,

as for trail markers similar to ski resorts, different landscape,
ski trails are very limited in scope, distance, features, they are also maintained.
a trail can have many elements to it, longer the trail, more likely there will be more dangerous element to the trail,
best to treat every trail as it may have potential hazards,
a rainfall can turn easiest of trails into a black diamond trail.

there should be ways/methods to better educate the public but this bill isn't it.
Terasec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2019, 02:49 PM   #23
Hear the Footsteps

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terasec View Post
I wouldn't support such a bill as written
too vague on what constitutes overlooks and hazards...
Agreed.

The fact that it's a bill that's been introduced three times before and hasn't been acted on speaks for itself. It's not gone nowhere and will go nowhere.

And where is GOEast in all this? Seems like they don't have any good material to publish. Instead have gone fishing and found this.

Don
Hear the Footsteps is offline   Reply With Quote