Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > The Adirondack Forum > Hunting and Fishing in the Adirondacks
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-01-2019, 05:05 PM   #1
vtflyfish
Brookie Addict

Fly Swap 2019???

Okay, Okay, I'll volunteer. How many of you are up for a swap?

We need a theme: How about New Twists and Old Favorites? You can interpret that as you like.

How it works for those who haven't participated:
-Each participant ties n-1 of his or her chosen pattern, where n is the number of participants.
-You mail the flies to me with an explanation of or story about your chosen pattern.
-I send you back one of everyone else's flies. They will go out in whatever container or box you shipped them in. I'll pick up the mailing envelopes and postage.

So who's in?
Old 02-01-2019, 05:18 PM   #2
wildbrookies

VT- Count me in! Thanks for grabbing the ball (again) and running with it!

WB
"Get your mind off trout,if you can.I know they`ve got you.I can see it. Every fraternity of sufferers knows its brothers.Trout hook men;men don`t hook trout.Better try and throw the hook while you can.By the time you`re a grown man there probably won`t be a pure trout healthy enough to fiddle with"... Quote from Emerson in the book "The Earth Is Enough"by Harry Middleton
wildbrookies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2019, 05:38 PM   #3
vtflyfish
Brookie Addict

WB, I forgot to add the final rule: You have to tie 2 dozen Breadcrusts - for each participant!
Old 02-01-2019, 07:11 PM   #4
wildbrookies

OMG! If I start now you guys might get them by April 1st! Maybe longer if I need to go hunt down my own ruffed grouse and only shoot them in their red phase! HaHa!!

On a side note, this fly still outfishes a lot of nymphs/wetflies.. I think somedays the trout like something crunchier to chomp on.All the prep work to tie this fly ,does have its rewards.

WB
"Get your mind off trout,if you can.I know they`ve got you.I can see it. Every fraternity of sufferers knows its brothers.Trout hook men;men don`t hook trout.Better try and throw the hook while you can.By the time you`re a grown man there probably won`t be a pure trout healthy enough to fiddle with"... Quote from Emerson in the book "The Earth Is Enough"by Harry Middleton

Last edited by wildbrookies; 02-01-2019 at 07:21 PM..
Old 02-01-2019, 09:02 PM   #5
serotonin
ember

wb stole my lightning

vt, too.

I swear
I was gonna volunteer to do Breadcrusts this year.
After listening to Rick Takahashi this morning.
No joke.

Now what...?
A razor-back boar in the back of a jacked-up Ford?
In the red or black phase?

[If you type "Takahashi this morning...",
it might come out like this: "Takaha****his morning].

Surprised me, too.
The podcast is free for another day or two:
https://www.askaboutflyfishing.com/?...eid=96b42fc24a

Last edited by serotonin; 02-01-2019 at 09:37 PM..
serotonin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2019, 09:12 PM   #6
wildbrookies

No, that would be fine Sero! You may take the loyal Breadcrust nymph off of my hands,if you would like! I have another interesting fly in my mind to share with you all!

WB
Old 02-01-2019, 09:30 PM   #7
serotonin
ember

I ain't into sadomasochism, but I'm stupid enough to volunteer for Breadcrusts.

Sign me up.
Old 02-01-2019, 10:21 PM   #8
vtflyfish
Brookie Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by serotonin View Post
I ain't into sadomasochism, but I'm stupid enough to volunteer for Breadcrusts.

Sign me up.

Sero, you're the real deal. When we finally do meet in person I'll buy the Single Malt!

AND... I have a fly in mind that was killer in Manitoba. I brought it home and guess what? The brookies like it too!
Old 02-01-2019, 11:54 PM   #9
serotonin
ember

Why you teasing a guy who just dug himself a deep hole?

I've only got one fan in salt and borax right now
Courtesy of a rock solid guy
We ate the breasts. Wings went to DEC.

The carcass is in a 24 hour Venison stock at the 25th hour.
The legs and head are ten paces from my bed.

I'm doomed,
and it could get worse.
Old 02-02-2019, 08:30 AM   #10
gmorin71

Im in!

Lee Wulff
gmorin71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2019, 05:03 PM   #11
wildbrookies

Awesome Gary!!

WB
Old 02-05-2019, 11:30 PM   #12
Stillhunter

I wish I could tie flies that look half way decent. Just haven't put the time in to become proficient. They all look like belly button lint balls! I have nothing to enter unless I buy them and that is like bringing store bought cookies to a bake sale.
Stillhunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2019, 07:21 AM   #13
Adironzach

I've got a small box filled with guinea hen feathers that i have no problem mailing to somebody if they'd like to use them for their flies. It'd be the least i can do for the plentiful entertainment and knowledge i've gained thru this forum over the years. I picked them up visiting a friends house a few times this fall. Not sure how many flies they would be able to make but they're beautiful nonetheless. Just shoot me a PM me if your interested!

Last edited by Adironzach; 02-06-2019 at 08:12 AM..
Adironzach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2019, 09:04 AM   #14
Blackflie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stillhunter View Post
I wish I could tie flies that look half way decent. Just haven't put the time in to become proficient. They all look like belly button lint balls! I have nothing to enter unless I buy them and that is like bringing store bought cookies to a bake sale.
I am in the same failed bodger category no dexterity, no talent. But I certainly appreciate the efforts of all who post their ties, well done chaps
Old 02-06-2019, 11:42 AM   #15
wildbrookies

SH,
I'm a 5 thumbs and blind as a bat flytyer, but ,they do fool a few fish, probably more so when they are extremely hungry! HaHa!! So,don`t give up. Practice and patience pays off.

Thanks for your offer AZ, I m not in the market for those as of now, maybe some other tiers will be interested.Very of nice of you to offer the feathers!
Old 02-06-2019, 08:12 PM   #16
vtflyfish
Brookie Addict

OK, so the official count is:
WB
Sero
Gmorin
VT

Any other takers? We should really close the entries by the end of the day on Sunday.

I start tying this weekend...
Old 02-06-2019, 09:47 PM   #17
wildbrookies

Ok,VT... I`ll get something going this Saturday too!! Anybody else want to jump in ,you still have time!!
Old 02-07-2019, 03:14 PM   #18
gmorin71

couple more would be nice. Couple guys posted about not being "good enough" to take part. Fly tying isnt about that, hop in if you'd like to participate! Its about having fun tying some flies and exchanging. You should see some of my ties that I posted when I first started hahaha.

Lee Wulff
gmorin71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2019, 05:30 PM   #19
vtflyfish
Brookie Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmorin71 View Post
couple more would be nice. Couple guys posted about not being "good enough" to take part.
I'll second gmorin's comment. Go ahead, give it your best shot! We'll take 'em and you'll get a few new and unique flies to try.
Old 02-07-2019, 05:50 PM   #20
serotonin
ember

Quote:
Originally Posted by vtflyfish View Post
We'll take 'em...
We'll take 'em... and use 'em, and catch fish with them.
Here's an idea; let's see who can catch a fish on every fly from the Swap.

PS> My friend Homer, who participated in a previous swap, is interested in joining this one. I can get more guys if we need them, but I'm afraid of having to tie too many Breadcrusts.