Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > The Adirondack Forum > Hunting and Fishing in the Adirondacks
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-15-2019, 01:28 PM   #41
serotonin
ember

Don't sweat it wb,

Synchronicity has a funny way of doing things.

Last edited by serotonin; 02-15-2019 at 01:49 PM..
serotonin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2019, 06:34 PM   #42
vtflyfish
Brookie Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by serotonin View Post
Could you shoot a grouse or two along your way...?
Nobody has the feathers I need.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 58rover View Post
It would have to be a 54 rover now, sold that one ha ha
Maybe you could run over a grouse for Sero on your way...
Old 02-15-2019, 08:57 PM   #43
Pauly D.

WB and GM FYI I went to the Fly Shack in Gloversville today and they are closed until Feb 18 in case one of you planned to venture there this weekend for tying material.

Too bad that Goldstocks closed as they had a great selection plus Mark was a wealth of fly fishing knowledge. Hopefully they'll reopen in the future.

I need to visit some of the fly shops in the Wilmington area one weekend. I don't know of any others besides Crossroads in Brant Lake and they have a pretty limited selection.
Old 02-15-2019, 09:50 PM   #44
wildbrookies

Hello,
Dicks /Field and Stream had some stuff, but ,I wasn't impressed . Had a bunch of things that were more like average stuff and not the right sizes. Actually had some decent hackles and feathers but the other intricate things, forget it...

Anyway, Sero, I found about 8 good Grouse tail feathers for you!!, but they are in the grey stage . (to me ,Im really not sure if it matters, the red or brown stage tends to make the stems change color too ,I guess..) If I you would like them ,I`ll send them out to you!!. Give me a yell on a pm..

WB
"Get your mind off trout,if you can.I know they`ve got you.I can see it. Every fraternity of sufferers knows its brothers.Trout hook men;men don`t hook trout.Better try and throw the hook while you can.By the time you`re a grown man there probably won`t be a pure trout healthy enough to fiddle with"... Quote from Emerson in the book "The Earth Is Enough"by Harry Middleton
wildbrookies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2019, 06:10 AM   #45
serotonin
ember

Wb,

Thank you so much.
Take a layer off and don't sweat it; it looks like we've got it covered!

As mentioned earlier, a good friend showed up one day with a grouse from his morning.
(Minus a few feathers for DEC).
This was immediately prior to you resurrecting the Fly Swap.
As luck would have it, he introduced me to the good bird within an arm's-length of a few boxes of salt and borax.
This, and Rick Takahashi, may have influenced my Breadcrust decision on that fateful day.

Not knowing how many flies to tie, and expecting to ruin a large percentage of them,
I figured I better get some back-up feathers.
The usual suspects like J Stockard and Hook/Hackle didn't have any.
Further internet inquiries resulted in “display” fans;” $40 w/shipping. No thank you, please.

Next stop was Homer, who amazingly didn't have any.
But he confirmed that a good price would be 50 cents/feather.
Up to a dollar/per if you've cornered yourself into a resurrected Swap.

Hunting was an option, when we weren't getting hammered by snow.
During a recent snowshoe excursion, for the elusive winter medicinal mushroom,
I did not hear a single drumbeat in seven hours.
However, our mission for the target species was a resounding success.
(It was a very good day, and I love to see the Carpathian so happy)!

The search for feathers continued through the local grapevine.
The first two guys understood my predicament.
They thought they had some, but they'd have to look.
The third guy, Mr I, simply said, “Try Malinda's”.
(Doh!)

The following morning I called Malinda.

M: Malinda's.....
S: Hi, do you have any Grouse tail?
M: I think I've got a couple full birds.
S: I just need the tail feathers.
M: Most people don't use the tail feathers.
S: I'm tying Breadcrusts...

M: I guess I could cut the tail off of one of them for you...
S: Yeah...? That would be great! ...How much?
M: I don't know... What do you think?
S: Whatever you think is fair.
M: Five bucks.
S: Sold! ...I'll take two if you can spare 'em.
M: I think I'll keep the other bird intact.
S: 's Cool.

S: I have a few friends who are frequently in your neck of the water.
Maybe one of them can pick up that tail for me.
Do you know Mr I ?

M: Mr I ...?
He's sitting five feet away from me.
Would you like me to put him on the phone?

S: Yes, please!

Thank you Malinda!

Takahashi recently described a simplified version of the Breadcrust. Never having tied the original, I decided to jump into the deep end of the pool. I might Expose myself; my underbelly. The Fool.

The humbleness of a man like Takahashi (and others), seems to have no bounds.
Boy... I've got a lot to learn.

Elsewhere, it appears that 58 color variations of Ruffed Grouse have been described in the Upper Midwest alone.
58 Rover?
While suggesting numerous feather substitutions, Homer said, “Most trout won't say anything”.

Now that wb has gotten our engine going again, he's probably caused an unexpected windfall of Grouse.
He moved a pebble; Created a landslide.
Plenty of thanks to our perpetual Swap-Meister too.

As wb suggested,
I'm up for tying two flies for each victim involved.

What's everybody else tying?

Last edited by serotonin; 02-16-2019 at 07:01 AM..
serotonin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2019, 12:12 PM   #46
vtflyfish
Brookie Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by serotonin View Post

Now that wb has gotten our engine going again, he's probably caused an unexpected windfall of Grouse.
He moved a pebble; Created a landslide.

As wb suggested,
I'm up for tying two flies for each victim involved.

What's everybody else tying?
Funny, I looked up in the sky this morning and there was an endless flock in the air. At first I thought they were a resurrected flock of passenger pigeons, brought back to life by spontaneous generation. A closer look with field glasses revealed their true identity: ruffed grouse in all 52 mid-western color variations and 107 Canadian ones as well. Their course heading is straight for Sero-opolis and I'd estimate arrival within two hours. Sero will have plenty to grouse about.

I sat down at the vise this morning. The net result was quantity sufficient to supply each on the swap list with a size 10 zonker muddler. They are a beast to tie and my fly box edged ever closer, hoping to swallow them up. I was able to beat said box back and tie it shut with a bit of zonker strip. This time. For now...

My second fly for youse-all will be a flashback pheasant tail tied on a jig hook. This is a many generation mutation from the original that Frank Sawyer's son gave me many years ago.

So both of these qualify as new twists on an old theme and are personally guaranteed to catch you fish.
Old 02-16-2019, 02:00 PM   #47
58rover

hope to get into partridge next year and all the feathers we will need. Working on getting this boy to help!
Whats the question "58rover?"
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Banta1yosmall.jpg (82.4 KB, 77 views)
58rover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2019, 05:26 PM   #48
vtflyfish
Brookie Addict

My flies are done. No pressure, just pass the halo polish, please!
Old 02-18-2019, 07:49 AM   #49
58rover

when do we need these tied by and where do I send them? Can't deliver them in an old rover until the sand/salt is gone off roads.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg PC222413.JPG (78.1 KB, 61 views)
Old 02-18-2019, 10:09 AM   #50
wildbrookies

Didn't get to the tying desk this weekend, but they'll get done once I decide which fly to tie. Thinking of a smaller version of the Hornberg. So, it can be fished like a wetfly or dryfly. And maybe a slightly different color scheme from the original.

WB
"Get your mind off trout,if you can.I know they`ve got you.I can see it. Every fraternity of sufferers knows its brothers.Trout hook men;men don`t hook trout.Better try and throw the hook while you can.By the time you`re a grown man there probably won`t be a pure trout healthy enough to fiddle with"... Quote from Emerson in the book "The Earth Is Enough"by Harry Middleton
Old 02-18-2019, 10:22 AM   #51
gmorin71

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildbrookies View Post
Didn't get to the tying desk this weekend, but they'll get done once I decide which fly to tie. Thinking of a smaller version of the Hornberg. So, it can be fished like a wetfly or dryfly. And maybe a slightly different color scheme from the original.

WB
Few years ago I screenshotted a pic that I believe your brother posted called “wb’s hornberg” if that is what you are contributing that would be a welcome addition to my box, was a beautiful fly. Maybe you’ll throw an extra peacock bugger in for me, who knows????? Haha

Lee Wulff
gmorin71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2019, 11:39 AM   #52
58rover

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stillhunter View Post
I wish I could tie flies that look half way decent. Just haven't put the time in to become proficient. They all look like belly button lint balls! I have nothing to enter unless I buy them and that is like bringing store bought cookies to a bake sale.
Fish don't care!! One of the best day I ever had fishing was with a fly that was almost shredded bt the only one I had in that pattern. Again fish didn't care.
Old 02-18-2019, 12:04 PM   #53
wildbrookies

Well, thanks for the help in my decision making Gary! Those Hornbergs have brought my brother and I great success on our local streams from time to time. As well, as my "Go To" favorite "The Black peacock Wonder". I`ll tie a couple of each for everyone. Thanks again for your recall and nice comment!

WB
Old 02-18-2019, 03:55 PM   #54
gmorin71

I think im going to tie my pale spring copper john nymph for my 1st fly. i use it in the spring time mostly. It'll plummet through high spring water

https://photos.app.goo.gl/jJZE3K3Dsu1AmQ8D6

https://photos.app.goo.gl/zcmjQLFEkhRThPqM9

Lee Wulff
gmorin71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2019, 05:39 PM   #55
vtflyfish
Brookie Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by 58rover View Post
when do we need these tied by and where do I send them? Can't deliver them in an old rover until the sand/salt is gone off roads.
58, that is one outstanding LR!!! Let's plan to have everything in my hands in 3 weeks. No huge rush!

gmorin, wb, I highly endorse your fly choices!!!
Old 02-18-2019, 05:45 PM   #56
wildbrookies

gmorin,
Can`t see your photos on my work computer ,but I bet its a winner! I like flies that will get down to where those big trout are. I always add weight to regular flies and a tungsten beadhead to get them down in the feeding zone,especially in fast water.If nothing else, if I hit them in the head maybe itll stun them alittle and make them act dumb enough for me to fool.

Also, 58rover,
I think your dogs under coat would make great dubbing for your flies. My old girl Buffy`s undercoat added not only a great dubbing, but maybe some added magical powers to my flies. At least ,I think of them that way.My brother and I have fooled quite a few big bruins on my Buffy Special wetflies.Just a thought, cause he looks like his undercoat is soft looking.Also, bet he will make a great bird dog! Nice looking dog! Whats his name?

WB
Old 02-18-2019, 06:41 PM   #57
vtflyfish
Brookie Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildbrookies View Post
gmorin,
Can`t see your photos on myMy old girl Buffy`s undercoat added not only a great dubbing, but maybe some added magical powers to my flies.
WB
The Buffy Special was truly that. Long live the memory of Buffy!!!

FYI, I tried tying a couple of flies with under-fur supplied by Hamish the Border Collie. Meh...
Old 02-19-2019, 01:49 PM   #58
wildbrookies

Thank you VT! Still missing my ole buddy.... So, how did the Hamish flies turnout? Don't collies have a nice soft coat?

To go along with the Buffys Specials that I am still cranking out,we had to put down the sister of the two 20 year old kitties we have. Her name was Figaro, so,look for me to be tying Figaro Specials coming this new year also. And Im currently gathering fur from her still living brother ,Tigger. So, look for Tigger flies hitting the forum soon too. Actually our cats have fur very similar to rabbit,so it makes outstanding dubbing! VT, you need to get a cat or two! HaHa!!!

WB
Old 02-19-2019, 01:53 PM   #59
wildbrookies

Btw, Gary, those Copper Johns look very nice!! Like you mentioned ,they should drop down into the feeding zone rather quickly. Would you use it alone or use it in a 2 fly combo.If so, would it be the dropper fly or the point fly?

WB
Old 02-19-2019, 05:31 PM   #60
vtflyfish
Brookie Addict

I wonder what sort of flies we'll see when WB gets his hands on Sero's Carpathian War Dog.