Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > The Adirondack Forum > Hunting and Fishing in the Adirondacks
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-02-2019, 08:33 AM   #81
vtflyfish
Brookie Addict

Always room for one more... Especially a talented tyer like CT Y!!!

Let us know.
Old 03-02-2019, 09:17 PM   #82
wildbrookies

I agree with VT! We are not in that much of a hurry, given the way this winter is going...
"Get your mind off trout,if you can.I know they`ve got you.I can see it. Every fraternity of sufferers knows its brothers.Trout hook men;men don`t hook trout.Better try and throw the hook while you can.By the time you`re a grown man there probably won`t be a pure trout healthy enough to fiddle with"... Quote from Emerson in the book "The Earth Is Enough"by Harry Middleton
wildbrookies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2019, 09:24 AM   #83
gmorin71

All finished up...just to be on the safe side I'd like to confirm with CY in we are tying 6 flies correct?

Lee Wulff
gmorin71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2019, 01:30 PM   #84
wildbrookies

gmorin,
I have no clue....but, I did tie extras just encase.
"Get your mind off trout,if you can.I know they`ve got you.I can see it. Every fraternity of sufferers knows its brothers.Trout hook men;men don`t hook trout.Better try and throw the hook while you can.By the time you`re a grown man there probably won`t be a pure trout healthy enough to fiddle with"... Quote from Emerson in the book "The Earth Is Enough"by Harry Middleton
Old 03-07-2019, 01:58 PM   #85
58rover

mine are done today (6 also) will be shipping tomorrow
58rover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2019, 05:06 PM   #86
gmorin71

Doin 6, if that's 1 too many vt can keep for his troubles

Lee Wulff
Old 03-07-2019, 07:40 PM   #87
vtflyfish
Brookie Addict

Haven't heard from CT Yankee. If he ends up not participating, any extras will go to our local club's youth program. That's the New Haven River Anglers Association.
Old 03-07-2019, 07:48 PM   #88
wildbrookies

Sounds very nice VT! I will give a few more extras of each fly pattern for a great cause!
Old 03-08-2019, 01:05 AM   #89
serotonin
ember

I haven't started tying yet, because I'm terrified.
Old 03-08-2019, 09:52 AM   #90
wildbrookies

Sero-

I've never known you to be terrified. So don't fret buddy.This can be easier than you may think. Just leave a chunk of once, good ole bread of any choice on the counter for a few days and once it adequately firms up ,break it into just the right proportional size for the hooks you will be using and Wa La! There you have "The Breadcrust"… Actually ,this would be a great way to surprise us tiers receiving a Sero ,authentic Breadcrust fly. Sorry, couldn't resist. I actually did this for a joke and took photos of the original Breadcrust fly next to the authentic one. My brother got a laugh out of it.

Btw,my flies are done ,but won't get out to the post office until monday. Great tying everybody!

WB
Old 03-08-2019, 10:12 AM   #91
serotonin
ember

My mother saved all our umbilical cords in nice neat envelopes.
I'm just trying to figure out the best way to lash them to a hook.
Old 03-08-2019, 10:37 AM   #92
serotonin
ember

Building a trebuchet on a size 18 was more difficult than I imagined.
Old 03-08-2019, 06:34 PM   #93
vtflyfish
Brookie Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by serotonin View Post
Building a trebuchet on a size 18 was more difficult than I imagined.
Ah, the old size 18 umbilical trebuchet! Ingenious!
Old 03-08-2019, 07:30 PM   #94
serotonin
ember

Trust me.
These cords are crusty.
Old 03-08-2019, 09:06 PM   #95
wildbrookies

Oh ,jeez, is that the material he's thinking of using for his Breadcrusts…hmmm.
Old 03-08-2019, 09:38 PM   #96
vtflyfish
Brookie Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildbrookies View Post
Oh ,jeez, is that the material he's thinking of using for his Breadcrusts…hmmm.
WB, you wound him up. Now watch him go!
Old 03-11-2019, 12:52 PM   #97
wildbrookies

Hello fellow fly swappers! This is a video on youtube of one of the flies I'm submitting to this years swap.I think the only difference between my version and Terrys is I used orange calf tail for my underwing opposed to his red schlappen feathers.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XIu6Nh-hIJY

I tied my hornbergs little on the smaller side. I think its tied on a Mustard 3906B # 8 hook. This fly was created by Frank Hornberg ,who became the very first Game Warden in Portage County,Wisconsin. In 1920 ,he created this fly.It can be greased up to ride on the surface or used subsurface.I like to use it subsurface in riffly,faster running water.It really catches a trouts eye as it flows with the current and is allowed to swing.Most takes occur on the swing.But ,be ready at anytime when they're not eating anything else.

As for my other fly Ive included and most of you maybe remember it from past fly swaps, the Black Peacock Wonder. A variation of a black marabou woolly Bugger but instead of using black chenille for the body,I use 5 or 6 strands of good peacock herl.Then reinforced with a strand of either silver or gold fine wire or flashabou wound over the herl.I do add alittle more glitter in the marabou tail with 4-6 strands of flashabou the length of the tail.The hackle is just burnt orange or brown Whiting hackle.I think the key here is the natural glimmer and iridescence of the peacock herl. A tried and true material that trout and other fish can not resist. I do like to add more weight to it by adding a tungsten beadhead instead of a regular beadhead. I like to use a 2 fly tandem setup where this fly is my point fly in which will drop in the water quite fast and get down to the feeding fish in faster water or deep runs or riffles,with a trailer fly running off of that from bend in the buggers hook 18-20"`s with either a nymph or wetfly or maybe even a small hornberg.Again, most of the hard slams this fly creates is on the 3/4 swing or after the drift is over and you strip it back upstream along the shoreline where a hungry fish is waiting. Hope you catch something on these flies and please post if you do.Good luck, sending them out tomorrow.

WB

Last edited by wildbrookies; 03-12-2019 at 01:07 PM..
Old 03-11-2019, 05:50 PM   #98
vtflyfish
Brookie Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildbrookies View Post
Hello fellow fly swappers! This is a video on youtube of one of the flies I'm submitting to this years swap.I think the only difference between my version and Terrys is I used orange calf tail for my underwing opposed to his red schlappen feathers.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XIu6Nh-hIJY
Very nice!!! Can't wait!
Old 03-12-2019, 10:49 AM   #99
gmorin71

Just put mine in the mail.

I wasn't 100% sure on what "2 flies" meant, meaning tying 2 of your fly instead of 1, or tying 2 different flies. Im pretty sure it meant tie 2 of your fly, but I threw in a stimulator for everyone. So you'll get one pale copper john and a stimulator.

Lee Wulff
Old 03-12-2019, 12:46 PM   #100
wildbrookies

Very nice Gmorin! Thank you!

WB