Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > The Adirondack Forum > Trip Reports
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-15-2019, 09:16 AM   #1
Neil
Admin

Skylight (plus Marcy and Gray) on Friday the 13th.

Pictures
Old 12-15-2019, 09:59 AM   #2
Woodly

Nice pics. Neil I haven't been up there in a long time, is there an established herd path from Marcy to Gray? There wasn't the few times I did it so I wonder.
Woodly is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2019, 10:31 AM   #3
Neil
Admin

There is a faint, gnarly and illegal path that leads from the top of Gray towards Marcy but I've never followed it for more than 5 minutes before bushwhacking north off of Gray. I have no idea how far the path goes.

Travel between Gray and Marcy is highly discouraged except on deep snow-pack. One: the herd path is easily lost and the woods are very thick. Two and more important: the portion above tree-line on Marcy is home to some very rare alpine plants and they have been subject to trampling.
Old 12-15-2019, 11:32 AM   #4
DSettahr
ɹǝqɯǝɯ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodly View Post
Nice pics. Neil I haven't been up there in a long time, is there an established herd path from Marcy to Gray? There wasn't the few times I did it so I wonder.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil View Post
Travel between Gray and Marcy is highly discouraged except on deep snow-pack.

Two and more important: the portion above tree-line on Marcy is home to some very rare alpine plants and they have been subject to trampling.
Case in point: The entirety of New York's dwarf willow population is represented by only a couple of plants on Mt. Marcy. They're very small and unassuming in appearance- it literally would only take 2 or 3 misplaced foot steps to completely wipe this species out in New York State.

Last edited by DSettahr; 12-15-2019 at 12:44 PM..
DSettahr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2019, 11:52 AM   #5
Neil
Admin

There was once a big sign (in English and in French) on Gray that stated that the trail was closed. One week after I pointed it out to someone in the ADK Club that the sign was an excellent advertisement for the otherwise barely noticeable path it was gone.
Old 12-15-2019, 12:55 PM   #6
Woodly

Thanks for the info. I'll likely never see it again but was curious as I remember what it was like. I've been in worse but yea, its kind of gnarly up there
Woodly is online now   Reply With Quote