Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > The Adirondack Forum > Hiking in the Adirondacks
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-25-2015, 05:51 PM   #1
Ianxvx

Unhappy The war against sleeping in your truck.

I apologize if this has already been discussed, I have spent the last hour digging through the threads and have not found a resolution to my question just yet.

I am starting my first trek toward become a 46er and found info on a dashiki that seems fitting which is a 19 mile loop dayhike encompassing dial, nipple top, colvin, and bake. Starting and ending at the St. Huberts parking area.

To get to the parking area I will have to drive 4 some hours and want to do so the night before, sleep in my truck and start at 5 am or so the next morning so that I am fresh... however I understand that it is private property and truck camping is forbidden most likely. As it is in many places. I then looked for walmarts or targets or something of the sort but came up empty handed. Are there spots to crash in my truck within 30 minutes of the trailhead??

Thanks, eager to start my first step toward being a 46er!
Ianxvx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2015, 06:29 PM   #2
MrKawfey

Check my post on Car Camping sites. I have to say, I have slept in my car/truck many times in the Adirondacks and never once been bothered. I have slept in the scenic turnouts, trailheads, parking lots. dirt road pull offs etc.

It's never occurred to me that it may be forbidden or illegal.
MrKawfey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2015, 07:27 PM   #3
HPHikingmoo

The Adirondack Loj has a wilderness campground and there are sites along South Meadows Road, which is just off the Loj Road. I have heard there is a camping spot near Round Pond, which is just off 73.
HPHikingmoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2015, 08:15 AM   #4
TCD

I think it's correct that the AMR / Ausable Club would rather not have people sleeping in vehicles in their parking lots.

However, a little homework helps. The state Roaring Brook Falls trailhead parking lot is right across the street; it may be generally OK to sleep in a vehicle there. Also, there is a campground at Chapel Pond, and several designated roadside campsites near the Pond. Also, there are several large pullouts in that area where people pretty routinely sleep in vehicles. Also there are several sites back near the intersection of 9 and 73.

As is often the case, you'll know a lot more after your first visit. Also, I don't know your hiking ability. If this is your first visit to the area, you may find DNCB a little ambitious. Lots of vertical and some rough trail sections. Go and enjoy, but be prepared to finish the hike after DN, and maybe save CB for another day.

Have fun!
TCD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2015, 09:47 AM   #5
DSettahr
ɹǝqɯǝɯ

A strict interpretation of the regulations makes it pretty clear that sleeping in a vehicle at a trailhead on state land is illegal, and you can be cited/fined for it. There have been posts here and/or on ADK High Peaks in the past by people who tried to do it discretely, yet still were awoken by a ranger or LEO in the morning and directed to leave.

The intent behind the regulation is sound- it prevents someone from fully camping in a manner that is inconsistent with appropriate use of trailhead areas/facilities- tent, fire, cooking, etc. There are significant issues with the environmental and social impacts that would occur at trailheads should this type of use be allowed.

We can argue (perhaps justifiably) as much as we want that discretely sleeping in your car in preparation for a long hike is a low impact activity that does not fit the same definition of "camping," but this does not change the fact that there is no easy way to draft a regulation that makes some kinds of camping ok while other kinds of camping are verboten. You're always going to have some people seeking to circumvent the regulations, pushing the limits of what they can get away with in a manner that is inconsistent with either the intent behind the regulations, or with LNT principles.

And, as others have stated, it isn't like you don't have some decent options. In addition to the campgrounds that have been suggested, there are a number of first-come, first-serve, car accessible campsites in the Keene Valley area at both Chapel Pond and on the Boquet River. There is also at least one designated tent site on the Roaring Brook Falls trail that is a very short walk from the trailhead. And you can camp anywhere you want on state land, provided that you are at least 150 feet from any roads, trails, or water, which is generally far enough to put you out of sight from the trail/trailhead.
DSettahr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2015, 11:51 AM   #6
Ianxvx

Thank you all so much! This is immensely helpful. I will look further into all of the options. What a great community!

As for the word of warning, it is an ambitious route and am prepared to turn back depending on how I feel. Thanks all!!
Ianxvx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2015, 04:41 PM   #7
JoeCedar

The war against sleeping in your truck.

Why not just keep it simple? Park in the I-87 rest area between exits 29 and 30. It is free, open 24/7 with bathrooms, vending, machines and water. No problem sleeping in you car at all. It is within 30 min of your destination.
JoeCedar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2015, 04:44 PM   #8
Hard Scrabble

A while back, i planned a two day walk over Noon Mark and places beyond. Dix, around Elk Lake and back along the Colvin Ridge.
I was riding my old Honda motorcycle and stopped in St. Huberts at a private dwelling.
I asked if i could leave the bike on their property, they agreed.
My point is that if you ask locals for help, they usually give it.
Jim
Hard Scrabble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2015, 11:32 AM   #9
bridgeman

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeCedar View Post
Why not just keep it simple? Park in the I-87 rest area between exits 29 and 30. It is free, open 24/7 with bathrooms, vending, machines and water. No problem sleeping in you car at all. It is within 30 min of your destination.
I second the High Peaks Information Center rest area
bridgeman is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ausable, camping, st huberts, truck camping