Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > The Adirondack Forum > General Adirondack Discussion
FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-10-2019, 04:16 PM   #1
Old_Matt

Question Northrup Lake

Hey everyone I'm new to the forum.

I was just wondering if anyone had any information on Northrop Lake, South East of Brooktrout Lake back in the West Canada area. I'm thinking about going back and trout fishing sometime next year but there's no trail getting back to it. I was just wondering if anybody's ever been back there, fished it, or knows of an unmarked trail that I could grab by Brooktrout to get back to it. Thanks so much for letting me know either way.
Old_Matt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2019, 05:01 PM   #2
Justin
Moving along

I asked about this several years ago and still have yet to attempt it but, years ago the consensus was to paddle up the Indian River as far as you can with a pack canoe, but that was before they closed Indian Lake Road near Squaw Lake. Conk posted a trip report a while back which may be of some help: http://www.adkforum.com/showthread.p...light=Northrup

I think anyway you approach it you’re looking at a long & difficult day. Unless of course if you break it up over a few days. I was trying to plan a 4 day trip...one to hike into the Brooktrout Lake/West Lake area or beyond, reach Northrup Lake on day 2, hike back to Brooktrout/West Lake area on day 3, back to parking area on day 4. Hard part for me is taking a couple extra days off work during the warmer months when all the roads are open. Maybe someday.

Last edited by Justin; 12-10-2019 at 05:12 PM..
Justin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2019, 07:36 PM   #3
Old_Matt

Thanks so much for letting me know. I was thinking about doing just that... paddling as far as I could down the Indian, then shoe lace express from there. I think im just gonna continue to follow the river on the map cuz I can take it right to Northrup. It's definitely gonna be tough for sure. Pack light. ��
Old 12-10-2019, 08:10 PM   #4
DSettahr
ɹǝqɯǝɯ

I made it there once, about 10 years ago. According to my photo records, it was early September 2009. My memory is somewhat hazy, but I want to say that I was camped at the West Canada Creek Lean-to, and I visited Northrup via a day hike from that location. To get there, I bushwhacked from between West and South Lakes towards Northrup Lake- by way of going over "South Lake Mountain" (an informal name for the series of hills directly between South and Northrup Lakes). Things got a little thick at higher elevations on South Lake Mountain but for the most part the bushwhack wasn't too bad.

The lake felt pristine and full of solitude, even if it was also relatively small and unassuming compared to many of the other bodies of water in the West Canada Lakes. There was a moderately-well established campsite near (if my memory is correct) the outlet, but from what I recall it was also not even close to compliant with the 150 foot rule. The fire pit was also pretty questionable with regards to whether it was properly constructed for safe use. In any case, as evidenced by Conk's photos in the link Justin shared above, it wouldn't be too hard to find an alternative campsite that does comply with the 150 foot rule.

I picked a different route for my hike back to camp. From the outlet of Northrup I followed a bearing roughly ENE, essentially paralleling the main branch of the Indian River that drains Northrup while also sticking to higher (and drier) ground. Once I was far enough east to not have to worry about the marshy terrain along the Indian River, I turned due north and popped out on the Brooktrout Lake trail between Brooktrout and West Lakes. IMO, if you're looking to go in on foot, this is probably the easiest way to do it, especially if you were to start your hike from the Moose River Plains side of the West Canada Lakes. I remember the forest being typical Adirondack mixed forests, nothing like the thicker evergreen stands I'd encountered higher up on South Lake Mountain.

Another thing to be aware of- don't count on being able to drive to any trailhead for the West Canada Lakes in early spring during the first parts of trout fishing season. The seasonal roads to the closest trailheads to this area (Perkins Clearing, Moose River Plains) don't typically open until mid to late May.
DSettahr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2019, 08:11 PM   #5
DSettahr
ɹǝqɯǝɯ

A few photos that I took during my visit:

Old 12-10-2019, 09:04 PM   #6
Justin
Moving along

DSettahr,
Nice photos & thanks for sharing.
Just curious if your route was part of a weekend type trip, or part of a longer stay within the region? I’m pretty sure you & I have chatted about this years ago, but I must’ve forgotten this info.
Old 12-10-2019, 10:31 PM   #7
Old_Matt

Thanks DSettahr for all the information, that's fantastic! Yeah, I forgot about the road being closed in the spring two years ago when I came up to hit moose river plains for spring trout. Definitely thank you for the help. I'll start plotting some courses the way you went.
Old 12-10-2019, 10:31 PM   #8
DSettahr
ɹǝqɯǝɯ

That was either a 4 or 5 day trip- I can't remember exactly. In addition to the day I spent checking out South Lake Mountain and Northrup Lake, I also spent a day on "West Lake Mountain" (informal name for the ridge due north of West Lake). I tried to get to Twin Lakes on that same day, but as I recall, extremely dense vegetation in the vicinity of the lakes convinced me to abandon that plan.

I looked some more through my old photos and found that I'd apparently stumbled across views from both West Lake and South Lake Mountains. My memory of both summits is that they had patches of dense spruce/fir but it looks like there's some openings in the forest as well.

View from South Lake Mountain:

Open rock slab on South Lake Mountain:

View of West Lake from West Lake Mountain:

From the Falls Pond trailhead in the Moose River Plains, I don't think it'd be horrendously difficult to visit Northrup Lake via a 3 day trip on foot for any hiker that is comfortable bushwhacking. Hike in Friday afternoon to Brooktrout Lake and camp there for the night. On Saturday, day hike to Northrup Lake and back again to Brooktrout Lake for the night via the route I described above. Then hike back out on Sunday.

Alternatively, if one wanted to relocate camp to near Brooktrout Lake on Saturday, that would be doable too- it'd make for a longer hike out on Sunday but with an early start and a willingess to get out of the woods late Sunday I think it's doable.
Old 12-10-2019, 10:54 PM   #9
Justin
Moving along

Thanks for the reply DSett.
I remember chatting with a couple guys that I ran into near West Lake #2 around the same time you & I first met in Ď08. I remember they mentioned one time being within a hundred yards of Northrup Lake and couldnít even see it. Needless to say my interest in Northrup Lake has dropped over the years since then, but this thread has certainly given it a reboot. Maybe Iíll run into Old Mat there next year also, who knows. Definitely not much talk about this area on the internet over the years.
Old 12-11-2019, 10:22 AM   #10
TRAILOGRE53

The 1904 topo shows a trail from West lake

Attached Images
File Type: jpg northup lake.jpg (95.1 KB, 126 views)
TRAILOGRE53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2019, 10:23 AM   #11
TRAILOGRE53

That may still be followable......
Old 12-11-2019, 11:03 AM   #12
DSettahr
ɹǝqɯǝɯ

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRAILOGRE53 View Post
I've poked around that area quite a bit. While it might be possible to find remnants of that trail here and there, I can guarantee that it's not followable for any significant distance.

I've stumbled across segments of few old roads in the remote sections of the West Canada lakes, and pretty much all of them disappear beyond recognition after a few hundred feet at best.

Similarly, I've looked for any hint of the old road that branches off the headwaters of the West Canada Creek and heads SW past Mica Lakes, without any luck. I don't doubt that it's probably possible to find maybe a segment of it here or there if one was willing to look extensively- but it's anything but a navigable route. In any case, I saw no sign of it when I visited Mica Lakes, either. (Mica Lakes does have a nice rocky prominence on the north shore that is a nice spot to hang out, eat lunch, etc.)

Last edited by DSettahr; 12-11-2019 at 11:32 AM..
Old 12-11-2019, 02:35 PM   #13
TRAILOGRE53

Trying to find some history on the lake
as it is my family name

If anyone has any info ....

Thanks
Old 12-11-2019, 04:46 PM   #14
TRAILOGRE53

Sexton Northrup

He was a trustee of the Glove Manufacturers Association, the Johnstown School Board, the Johnstown Library, the Humane Society and the Caroga Lake Protective Association. He even had a lake named after him Ė Northrup Lake. While hiking with a group of younger men in the late 1880ís, they stumbled across an unnamed body of water about 3 miles west of Canada Lake. Since it had no name, the group decided that they should name it. And with that, they decided to name it after Northrup, as he was the eldest member of the group. To this day, the lake still carries his name (look at any government issued map, and you will find the lake just to the West of Canada Lake).
Old 12-11-2019, 08:18 PM   #15
Pauly D.

There are some pretty cool descriptions of it in William O'Hern's book Adirondack Adventures: Bob Gillespie and Harvey Dunham on French Louie's Trail. Even back in the day it was a hell of a place to get to.
Old 12-11-2019, 09:26 PM   #16
Old_Matt

That's an awesome map TRAILOGRE53! I'll wander around a bit and see if I can find something from the old days while I'm back there. If I do figure out anything new I'll make sure to post it... It's too bad I can't get back there to snow shoe it, I'll bet the trek would be ten times easier in the winter.
Old 12-11-2019, 09:37 PM   #17
DSettahr
ɹǝqɯǝɯ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old_Matt View Post
That's an awesome map TRAILOGRE53! I'll wander around a bit and see if I can find something from the old days while I'm back there.
If you're interested in old topo maps, then here's an early Christmas present for you: https://livingatlas.arcgis.com/topoexplorer/index.html

Through the interface on that website, you can navigate to any spot in the US, click on it, and bring up a menu at the bottom of the screen that will let you select for viewing just about any topographic map the USGS has ever produced for that location. You can even adjust transparancies so that you can overlay one generation of topo map on top of another.

Quote:
It's too bad I can't get back there to snow shoe it, I'll bet the trek would be ten times easier in the winter.
Having been back there on snowshoes, I can promise that it definitely is not ten times easier. More like ten times harder.
Old 12-11-2019, 10:11 PM   #18
Woodly

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSettahr View Post

Having been back there on snowshoes, I can promise that it definitely is not ten times easier. More like ten times harder.
Such as, bring a snorkel??
Woodly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2019, 10:24 PM   #19
Justin
Moving along

Quote:
...I’m thinking about going back and trout fishing next year...

.. It's too bad I can't get back there to snow shoe it, I'll bet the trek would be ten times easier in the winter.
Agreed. Sometimes winter conditions can be absolutely perfect & much easier for off-trail travel than during the warmer months with a good, deep, frozen snow base to walk on & much less thick hobblebush, blowdown, & unfrozen wetlands to deal with. At the same time sometimes it’s a huge bummer that the brooktrout season ends in October.

Last edited by Justin; 12-11-2019 at 10:35 PM..
Old 12-12-2019, 08:28 AM   #20
JohnnyVirgil

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSettahr View Post
If you're interested in old topo maps, then here's an early Christmas present for you: https://livingatlas.arcgis.com/topoexplorer/index.html
This is very cool! Thanks for the link, I had no idea something like this existed.
JohnnyVirgil is offline   Reply With Quote