Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > The Adirondack Forum > Food, Lodging, Parking, and Transportation
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-09-2004, 09:19 AM   #1
PeterG

Garden Parking. How early to get a spot?

I know this is not an exact science, but how early do you think I would have to arrive this Saturday morning to get a parking spot? Is it even possible(will they all fill friday night)?

Options if full?

I hate living far away....
PeterG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2004, 09:23 AM   #2
lumberzac
Beware of the Lumberzac

If it is full you can park at the Rooster Comb TH parking area and hike an extra mile up the road or for a small fee take the shuttle up to the Garden.

http://community.webshots.com/user/lumberzac
lumberzac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2004, 09:34 AM   #3
Kevin
**BANNED**

I've arrived there at 7AM on a Saturday and found parking in the center row (last spots). It's not always easy, but the recent rains may keep the numbers down Saturday...
Kevin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2004, 09:42 AM   #4
Mavs00
I am the sith

Not that it's the gospel, but I plan to arrive before 7:15 or so on all weekends before Columbus day (and I've never been turned back). Weekdays offer a little more leeway (I'd still get there before 8 AM).

After Columbus day, things slow way down, but you still want to arrive early as the days start to get a lot shorter and you need to maximize the daylight hours.
Old 09-09-2004, 10:04 AM   #5
PeterG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mavs00
Not that it's the gospel, but I plan to arrive before 7:15 or so on all weekends before Columbus day (and I've never been turned back). Weekdays offer a little more leeway (I'd still get there before 8 AM).

After Columbus day, things slow way down, but you still want to arrive early as the days start to get a lot shorter and you need to maximize the daylight hours.

Ouch, thanks guys. I'll have to think about this as it is a minimum 3 hour drive to get their. Throw in waking up, getting coordinated with my hiking partner and I have to back time it by about 4 hours for the alarm clock... That would be about 3am. That is getting into seriously painfull territory.
Old 09-09-2004, 10:17 AM   #6
Kevin
**BANNED**

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterG
Ouch, thanks guys. I'll have to think about this as it is a minimum 3 hour drive to get their. Throw in waking up, getting coordinated with my hiking partner and I have to back time it by about 4 hours for the alarm clock... That would be about 3am. That is getting into seriously painfull territory.
Dayhiking is best for those within 2 hours of the trailhead, otherwise you start running into that "too tired to drive anymore" territory on the ride home.
Kevin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2004, 10:27 AM   #7
PeterG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin
Dayhiking is best for those within 2 hours of the trailhead, otherwise you start running into that "too tired to drive anymore" territory on the ride home.
Tell me about it. :-).

I have done this numerous times, so I know what I am in for. Usually I am going to ADK loj/South meadows and I know what my parking chances are like. It has been a while since I went to the Garden and was not sure of my chances. Still not unfortunately. I don't know if I can convince my buddy he should get up at 3am to go hiking.

Still I don't think my friday night 9pm camping chances would be much better.
Old 09-09-2004, 12:05 PM   #8
mike1889
wish I was in the Adks

Like lumberzac said, if the lot is full, dump your packs at the Garden and park at the Rooster Comb trailhead (free) and walk the 1.5 miles up the road. It's a quick and easy 30 minute walk each way and doesn't really add much to the day. Don't let the prospect of a full Garden lot keep you from hiking from there. Using the shuttle will usually take as long or longer as walking up unless you get to the shuttle lot right when the bus is there. And if you return too late for a shuttle ride back, you have a 3.5 mile walk back to the shuttle lot at KV Airport.
mike1889 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2004, 02:36 PM   #9
Neil
Kayak-46

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterG
Tell me about it. :-).
Still I don't think my friday night 9pm camping chances would be much better.
You could lay your sleeping bag down right beside the car in the parking lot. Or night hike to the first lean-to. Or stay in a motel.
Old 09-09-2004, 09:34 PM   #10
PeterG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil
You could lay your sleeping bag down right beside the car in the parking lot. Or night hike to the first lean-to. Or stay in a motel.
I prefer the logistics of the morning drive down, unless I am taking additional time off. So I will take my chances. If I can't find parking at Garden, I can try something else...
Old 09-12-2004, 12:09 PM   #11
PeterG

There were spots at 7:30am

I arrived sat at 7:30 am. There were a number of free spots.