Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > The Adirondack Forum > Food, Lodging, Parking, and Transportation
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-10-2004, 09:10 AM   #1
shewolf

Crossing the border

I was just invited by a friend to go camping/fishing up in the Palmer Rapids area of Ontario. I haven't decided yet, but if I do go, what are the restrictions on what you can and cannot bring into Canada. I'm mainly wondering about food stuff. I may even bring my dog, so I was wondering if that would be a problem? I went to the CFIA (Canadian Food INspection Agency)website and it looks like very little is restricted, but you know the difference between what is "policy" and what is reality. I'd appreciate any help I can get.
Old 06-10-2004, 09:14 AM   #2
Kevin
**BANNED**

Going into Canada should be easier than re-entering the US. Bring a copy of your birth certificate and you should slide right through the border patrol .

As far as I know, only booze, fireworks, and firearms are restricted, most everything else is allowed.

Last edited by Kevin; 06-10-2004 at 09:21 AM..
Kevin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2004, 09:23 AM   #3
lumberzac
Beware of the Lumberzac

Basically what Kevin posted, but also add live plants to the list.

http://community.webshots.com/user/lumberzac
lumberzac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2004, 09:31 AM   #4
shewolf

Someone had mentioned to me that bringing in potatoes is a no/no as well. Is that right?
Old 06-10-2004, 09:35 AM   #5
Mavs00
I am the sith

Quote:
Originally Posted by lumberzac
Basically what Kevin posted, but also add live plants to the list.
And LIVE BAIT. I distinctly remember releasing a box of American Worms to their freedom at the Niagara Falls crossing several years ago. American dollars are welcome, American worms are not

In all fairness, I beleive the US will be much stricter as Kevin points out. Some of what you bring over may not be able to re-enter the US. Since you're going, I'll take a case of Molson XXX from the Duty Free.
Old 06-10-2004, 11:30 AM   #6
morrell12

Also if you bring your dog make sure you have your papers. By this I mean his/her vaccination papers as they will probably ask for them
Old 06-10-2004, 11:45 AM   #7
Martin
Enjoying what's presented.

From experience of crossing the border fairly often to get to the Peaks, like Kevin said, for me going back to Canada is not as strict as entering the States. The officers at the Canadian border look like they're on holidays. For the first time last week, I was asked at the US border if I had beef or citrus. Still haven't figured why citrus... As long as you proper ID and papers for dog you should have no problems.

Funny thing, we hikers must have a reputation. They checked my car many times, but evidently never found anything suspicious. That would be a stupid move from my part.
Old 06-10-2004, 11:48 AM   #8
Martin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mavs00
And LIVE BAIT. Since you're going, I'll take a case of Molson XXX from the Duty Free.

If I were you, I'd bring back a case of Alexander Keith's instead. Brewed in Nova Scotia sinc 1820.
Old 06-10-2004, 07:08 PM   #9
shewolf

battle of the brews

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martin
If I were you, I'd bring back a case of Alexander Keith's instead. Brewed in Nova Scotia sinc 1820.
Since I have had neither beer, what makes Alexander Keith's better than Molson XXX? Mainly asking just in case I need to leave the dog with my folks, bringing good beer back for my dad is EXCELLENT payment for Dakota's room and board.
Old 06-10-2004, 09:15 PM   #10
Martin

Quote:
Originally Posted by shewolf
Since I have had neither beer, what makes Alexander Keith's better than Molson XXX? Mainly asking just in case I need to leave the dog with my folks, bringing good beer back for my dad is EXCELLENT payment for Dakota's room and board.

Molson and Labatt are big, highly commercialized and make different kind of beer. But Alexander Keith's tastes like there was more attention brought to it's making...more polish. !!And it comes in a Adirondack Green case!! A bonus.

In fact, I think I'll take one right now. Drink up.