Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > The Adirondack Forum > Food, Lodging, Parking, and Transportation
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-20-2004, 10:05 PM   #1
vkhalsa

basecamps and theft

I'm curious if anyone has encountered or heard of anyone setting up their tent, leaving their gear, and when they get back from their day hike, all their 2000 dollars worth of gear is gone. Hikers, backpackers and cyclist are all generally the most trustworthy people you'll meet, but it really only takes one bad one whose short on cash for new gear or a new sleepingbag. also, how many of you pack in, set up camp and day hike vs. backpack through while carrying your gear?
vkhalsa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2004, 10:38 PM   #2
Martin
Enjoying what's presented.

That is an issue that worries me as well when I camp out. I don't like the idea of leaving my gear behind, but it also depends where it's left: Are there other groups leaving their gear behind or if not, is it a location that ca easily been seen. If I don't have to carry my whole gear for nothing, I wont. I can climb much faster without a full pack. If my plan is to do a loop, then I don't have the choice of climbing my gear. Outdoor people are generally trustworthy, but like you say, it take one bad seed. Outdoor gear is expensive$$$$.
Old 09-20-2004, 11:20 PM   #3
Kevin
**BANNED**

I refuse to climb peaks with my current full pack (40+ lbs). I did the lower great range with a full pack of gear, swore I'd not make the same mistake again.

The exception is winter hiking, whereas an overnighter requires good shelter and a heavier sleeping bag.

I trust leaving my gear behind, never heard of any being stolen.
Kevin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2004, 12:23 AM   #4
Jeff

On occasion it does happen, and very unfortunate. What some people will do is break down camp and stash their gear and set up again when they get back. Is it convenient? No. Safer than sorry? Yes. A little paranoia can be a good thing. I suppose it all depends. If you are in the backcountry where it is necessary to sign a trail register, it would probably be easier to track who snagged your equipment. UNLESS it is a high use area like Marcy Dam and other similar areas. I have not had it happen to me in all my years(knock on wood). For the most part it will not happen. If really all that concerned I suppose you could put your gear under either Home Owners or Renters Insurance. That may cover you monetarily. Overall it suck if it happens regardless.
Jeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2004, 01:52 PM   #5
Neil
Kayak-46

What would be an appropriate punishment for stealing someone else's gear from a backcountry cache, L/T or campsite?
Old 09-21-2004, 03:08 PM   #6
Martin
Enjoying what's presented.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil
What would be an appropriate punishment for stealing someone else's gear from a backcountry cache, L/T or campsite?
Tie them to a rope and hang them to a tree 12 feet up, at Marcy Dam.
Old 09-21-2004, 03:50 PM   #7
lumberzac
Beware of the Lumberzac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martin
Tie them to a rope and hang them to a tree 12 feet up, at Marcy Dam.
Just remember you can only do this until March. After that you will have to stuff them in an approved bear canister.

http://community.webshots.com/user/lumberzac
lumberzac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2004, 04:49 PM   #8
vkhalsa

any thoughts?

so i decided to by a pacsafe and just start to backpack in, attach it to a tree and go day hike and come back and set up camp. kinda of a pain in the ass and a risk of the campsite filling up and not having somewhere to set up your tent, but i think a good decision in the end. any thoughts on this as a solution?

btw you can also find information for those who don't know at backpacker magazine's editors choice 1999.
Old 09-21-2004, 05:00 PM   #9
redhawk
Senior Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by lumberzac
Just remember you can only do this until March. After that you will have to stuff them in an approved bear canister.
Or stuff the Bear Canister up you know where!
redhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2004, 05:12 PM   #10
Dick
somewhere out there...

I have never worried too much about leaving gear at a camp site while hiking. I've heard of an occasional incident, but they seem to be few and far between. Most people who are in the woods are there to hike, and not on the prowl. I have heard of more problems of car looting at some trailheads. I'm certainly not going to schlep my entire gear up a mountain because I'm afraid of it being stolen. Personally, the only hiking gear I've ever had stolen were two poles - and they were taken from my garage!
Dick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2004, 05:55 PM   #11
vkhalsa

well i don't think that it is a question of people out actively looking for things to steal but more of a crime of opportunity. I think the mentality for those who take things is that, "if i just pick up this pack inside of this empty tent and walk away just this once, i'll have all this new gear for free and i know i'm strapped for cash right now." It makes it even easier knowing where the owners are and that they won't be back for hours and hours. i don't know, personally i accumulated all my gear for years and am fortunate enough to have top of the line gear. to think that it could all be gone tomorrow is unfathomable for me. a couple of people on this forum have heard of it happening in the past, that information is passed on by word of mouth. Therefore, we don't know of all the cases in which it has happened and all those which weren't reported. I'm not trying to come off as paranoid or anything but i just think it is something to be mindful of and if preventable measures can be taken i think it couldn't hurt. which brings me back to my post earlier: do you feel that an option such as pacsafe, with its advantages and disadvantages, is the best solution?
Old 09-21-2004, 06:06 PM   #12
lumberzac
Beware of the Lumberzac

If I'm going to go to all the trouble of packing my gear up and putting it in a pacsafe, I might as well just carry my pack with me. I do this all the time, but no to keep my stuff from being taken; I like to do a lot of large loops or point to point trips. I enjoy having my pack on as I climb over mountains, but then again it is normally under 25lbs when I do this.

When I set up base camp, I normally clean up camp before I go. Most every thing stays in the lean-to or tent except my stove and food, which go in a bear bag or canister.

http://community.webshots.com/user/lumberzac
lumberzac is offline   Reply With Quote