Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > The Adirondack Forum > Food, Lodging, Parking, and Transportation
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-23-2003, 04:45 PM   #1
mattyluna

moving north

Hey all, Im new to this forum. I live in Florida but I plan on moving to NY in a year or so. I grew up on Long Island, so Im familiar with most of NY, except for the north country. I want to live somewhere in the Adirondacks and I wanted to know if anyone had any tips or suggestions. Please let me know what its like to live where you do. How is the job market, climate, outdoor life. Any info would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks
mattyluna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2003, 06:48 PM   #2
turquoise

moving north

mattyluna - Where are you from on Long Island? I went to college there out in Southanpton for marine biology. Great sailing out there, but no mountain hikes, lo!

I have been in the Adirondacks for vacations, and there is prolly seasonal work. What kind of job are you looking for? What kind of career training and occupations have you experienced already? The Adirondacks cover so much territory, that you should be able to find work. The cost of living in New York is high. Do you have relatives to stay with to cushion the move at first?

I would travel there and make many inquiries. If you really want to do something, you can make it happen. Good luck! - Turq ! The area certainly is beautiful!
turquoise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2003, 10:02 PM   #3
Kevin
**BANNED**

I don't live in the mountains, but I do live far enough upstate to be in the 'same market' (demographic) as the rest of northern New York, so here's my take. BTW, I lived in St Augustine for 13 months from early 1997 through early 1998.

Quote:
Please let me know what its like to live where you do
Albany, about 50 miles south of the foothills. We have a variety of people (black, hispanic, caucasian). Variety of entertainment, malls, music, bars, clubs, book stores... etc. We'd be in the top 20 of the 'average' cities (under 500,000 in pop) in America.

Quote:
How is the job market
Sucks just about everywhere right now. No one starves around here, but unfortunately everyone's living outside of their means, so if I or any of my friends lost work tomorrow we'd be SOL. Not our fault, we decided our lifestyles long before 9-11 and the current state of the economy, and the state of economy is such that there isn't a heck of a lot you CAN do but keep up with the bills with hopes one day things will be better.

Best careers/job availability in upstate are in computer programming and nursing (but there are local interests in other fields as well, don't know until you ask).

Quote:
climate
80F in the summer, 30F in the winter. Gets as hot as 95F during the summer (usually with humidity, nothing new for you though), but can get dangerously cold during the winter months (sub-zero temps at night not uncommon). In the mountains it can be brutal because of the wind and constant lake effect snow/uplifting of moisture, in addition to the cold.

Noreasters? Remember the occassionally big rain storm with wind that changed to a few inches of snow towards the end? Well, in upstate it ALL falls as snow .

Quote:
outdoor life
One of the reasons I came back to New York after living in Florida was to come back to the hills and valleys and mountains and streams. The scenery around here is just awesome, and you can sit by a river with no fear of an alligator jumping out after you!

Skiing, snow boarding, hiking, hunting, fishing, etc etc etc... endless number of seasonal and year-round activities.
Kevin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2003, 08:30 AM   #4
mattyluna

Thanks a lot

Quote:
Where are you from on Long Island
Im from Huntington. I am familiar with the unreasonably high real estate in NY (its bad here in FL as well) I love the mountains. We used to take trips there in the summers to visit relatives. I will have an Environmental Science degree when I leave here, so I hope there is work related to environmental conservation/protection, wildlife, planning, state parks, camps. I know that I want to be close with the outdoors.
mattyluna is offline   Reply With Quote