Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > Outdoors Related Discussion > Gear, Food, and Survival Topics
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-24-2011, 09:19 AM   #1
chudski63

looking for insulated mid layer

have the base layer and storm shell covered but i am looking for an insulated mid layer...not looking to spend a fortune but rather "money well spent"...i am also assuming that i am looking for an "insulated layer"...maybe i should call it a " warmth layer"...any ideas..thanks
chudski63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2011, 09:42 AM   #2
redhawk
Senior Resident Curmudgeon

Microfleece vest for starters, preferably made with Merino Wool
"If future generations are to remember us with gratitude rather than contempt, we must leave them more than the miracles of technology. We must leave them a glimpse of the world as it was in the beginning, not just after we got through with it." Lyndon B. Johnson
redhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2011, 12:58 PM   #3
yellowcanoe

Money well spent can mean investment. If you want something that is functional and lasts a lifetime look at wool garments by Empire Canvas Works.

http://www.empirecanvasworks.com/insulation.htm
yellowcanoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2011, 01:45 PM   #4
DSettahr
ɹǝqɯǝɯ

Another good place to obtain wool for "money well spent" is thrift stores... you can usually find a wool garment or two for pretty cheap at many thrift stores. I got a nice Pendleton shirt at a thrift store in Brooklyn a few weeks ago for 7 bucks... (Pendletons typically retail for like 50-60 or even 100 dollars!). Find the right garment and you can both stay warm and look classy...

Army-Navy surplus stores are also a good place to look. I have a nice wool officers sweater that I bought at the Army-Navy surplus store in Saranac Lake a few years ago. I often carry it on overnights in late fall, winter, and early spring.

Another option is fleece- but you should never pay top dollar for fleece. Cheap fleece jackets/vests/hoodies are just as functional as any fleece made by a name brand store. I have a fleece hoody that I carry as an optional insulation layer on winter hikes. Look on google's shopping search, there are plenty of fleece hoodies available for less than 20 dollars.
DSettahr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2011, 03:32 PM   #5
Alpine1

Arc'Teryx makes the Atom LT jacket and SV hoody. Both are synthetic insulation,very compressible for packing in a pack also Rab Generator or the Photon jacket are also very good synthetic mid layer insulators.
Alpine1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2011, 09:15 PM   #6
Judgeh

Sierra Trading Post has a great selection of Smartwool and Icebreaker wool sweaters. Best time to buy is in summer when their stock is most varied.
Judgeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2011, 09:16 PM   #7
Judgeh

And they're discounted!
Judgeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2011, 08:45 AM   #8
JoeCedar

How are you planning to use the three-layer system? If you are hiking strenuously or climbing mountains, you will probably find that you are overdressed and soon to be overheated. If you are standing around, then three layers might be OK.

Experienced active hikers learn to dress light to avoid overheating and excess sweating. Then when you stop, add a layer which absorbs the sweat and you'll be nice and dry when you restart activity.
JoeCedar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2011, 09:43 PM   #9
DSettahr
ɹǝqɯǝɯ

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeCedar View Post
How are you planning to use the three-layer system? If you are hiking strenuously or climbing mountains, you will probably find that you are overdressed and soon to be overheated. If you are standing around, then three layers might be OK.
Yep- I'm typically comfortable with just my base and shell layers on while I'm moving. Only occasionally, when it's colder than normal, do I hike while also wearing an insulation layer. Usually, I keep my insulating layers in my pack, readily accessible so I can throw them on when I stop for lunch or to take pictures on the summit of a peak...
DSettahr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2011, 10:27 PM   #10
fvrwld

Patagonia nanopuff pullover. I love mine...best gear investment I made this year. Warm, packable and light. During the fall it made a great outer later and will be a great mid-layer on winter's coldest days. If you search around you can find one for around $100. Best thing is it has a lifetime gaurantee.
Old 12-26-2011, 11:20 AM   #11
chudski63

thanks for everones input...i fully understand the layering theory and over insullating causes major problums with the sweating factor...i now wear two layers of terramar base layers(helix crew+txo 3.0 zip) plus gore tex storm shell..what i am looking for is that extra layer to have with me(on or in bag) in case storm shell too much or something extra under storm shell for extreme cold..of course i always carry my down parka too..have been leaning towards the nano pufff pullover(or someting similair) thanks
chudski63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2011, 02:45 PM   #12
yellowcanoe

You might also check out www.wintertrekking.com

Those folk are mostly pulling sleds with 70-100 lbs of gear on snowshoes. Sweat management is a major factor even at minus forty.. and they are good at it.

I think fleece might be much more usable if it had good ventilation too. Not necessarily pit zips but more of a waistband that could be cinched up for cold and allowed to relax for hot. I find on the whole fleece does a rotten job of moisture management.
yellowcanoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2011, 03:49 PM   #13
JoeCedar

Quote:
Originally Posted by chudski63 View Post
thanks for everones input...i fully understand the layering theory and over insullating causes major problums with the sweating factor...i now wear two layers of terramar base layers(helix crew+txo 3.0 zip) plus gore tex storm shell..what i am looking for is that extra layer to have with me(on or in bag) in case storm shell too much or something extra under storm shell for extreme cold..of course i always carry my down parka too..have been leaning towards the nano pufff pullover(or someting similair) thanks
OK, now I understand. For this use I would recommend the Patagonia R2 fleece jacket. It weighs about 13 oz and is my "go to" cover up when lightly dressed and a great mid layer under a shell. Another choice, heavier weight, is the MH Monkey Man jacket. I think the nanopuff would be too warm to use as a mid layer. Also, the jacket style is a lot easier to handle than the pullover when changing on the trail.
JoeCedar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2011, 07:18 PM   #14
madmike

I just love my nanopuff. Also here is a plug for any base with polar fleece powerdry like the r1. Cabelas has that stuff cheap.
madmike is offline   Reply With Quote