Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > The Adirondack Forum > General Adirondack Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-11-2011, 02:45 AM   #1
DSettahr
ɹǝqɯǝɯ

Duck Hole: Then and Now

Went to Duck Hole this weekend, the most recent of several trips I've taken there. Figured everyone here would appreciate a little photo retrospective of what was (and still is) one of the most beautiful spots in the Adirondacks.

Then (Fall 2005):

Then (Winter 2006):

Then (Fall 2010):

Now:

Then (Fall 2005):

Then (Winter 2006):

Then (Fall 2010):

Now:

Then (Fall 2005):

Then (Winter 2006):

Then (Fall 2010):

Now:

Now:

DSettahr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2011, 08:49 AM   #2
fisher39

These are awesome - thanks for putting together the pictures and sharing. I'm sure the expansive mud flats will green up in the spring and quickly develop into a gorgeous meadow.
fisher39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2011, 10:28 AM   #3
thebluesman5748

Rebuild duck hole....

Nice photo essay Settahr... but the "now look" fails to trigger the zest and appeal associated with Duck Hole.

Q. Has there been any discussion pertinent to rebuilding the dam..? I'm surprised the Adirondack Mountain Club hasn't come forward with recommendations to the DEC to rebuild. One would expect that "volunteers" would come out of the woodwork to aid in the re-construction of a new dam. And I wouldn't be surprised to see someone establish a "fund" to purchase materials necessary to complete the job. We're not rebuilding the Tapanzee Bridge here.... and most will agree that this project wouldn't be that costly... Example: A mere $1.00 donation from the many who traverse this area would, I believe, generate enough income to drastically cut down on the expense of this project.

We all know budgetary restraints in the DEC have curtailed any future development or re-construction in areas classified forever wild...but I firmly believe something should be done here...

In my opinion, the Duck Hole dam must be reconstructed... It's just too beautiful an area to turn into a wasteland...

"REBUILD DUCK HOLE"......
thebluesman5748 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2011, 11:45 AM   #4
8thday
**BANNED**

Did Irene wipe out the dam?
8thday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2011, 12:04 PM   #5
Dick
somewhere out there...

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebluesman5748 View Post
Nice photo essay Settahr... but the "now look" fails to trigger the zest and appeal associated with Duck Hole.

Q. Has there been any discussion pertinent to rebuilding the dam..? I'm surprised the Adirondack Mountain Club hasn't come forward with recommendations to the DEC to rebuild. One would expect that "volunteers" would come out of the woodwork to aid in the re-construction of a new dam. And I wouldn't be surprised to see someone establish a "fund" to purchase materials necessary to complete the job. We're not rebuilding the Tapanzee Bridge here.... and most will agree that this project wouldn't be that costly... Example: A mere $1.00 donation from the many who traverse this area would, I believe, generate enough income to drastically cut down on the expense of this project.

We all know budgetary restraints in the DEC have curtailed any future development or re-construction in areas classified forever wild...but I firmly believe something should be done here...

In my opinion, the Duck Hole dam must be reconstructed... It's just too beautiful an area to turn into a wasteland...

Some past discussion:
http://www.adkforum.com/showthread.php?t=1434
http://adirondackexplorer.org/out-ta...am-be-rebuilt/
http://nptrail.org/uploads/Duck-Hole-debate.pdf

Thanks to DSettahr for a great collection of photos.

Dick
Dick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2011, 12:39 PM   #6
TCD

I'm surprised beavers have not already started the work, using the remnants of the old dam as a starting point. They could get the job done very quickly.
TCD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2011, 02:10 PM   #7
Wldrns

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCD View Post
I'm surprised beavers have not already started the work, using the remnants of the old dam as a starting point. They could get the job done very quickly.
That would be quite a strong flow for beavers to attempt to dam up. More importantly as seen in the photos there are not a lot of resources or food trees of interest to beavers for them use in construction or for food.

There is no reason why, if left alone, within a couple of years the New Duck Hole will not be just as attractive as other open areas of wilderness. Nature has done her work, I'm all for just letting it be and would not support a human-driven re-construction project.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg duckhole26.jpg (63.3 KB, 272 views)
File Type: jpg duckhole27.jpg (74.2 KB, 269 views)
Old 10-11-2011, 04:49 PM   #8
cgill

I agree with Wldrns. Let nature take it's course. It will look great in a couple of years. It will look pretty good with a covering of snow in a few months
cgill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2011, 06:34 PM   #9
redhawk
Senior Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebluesman5748 View Post

I don't know about now with the new chapter, but in the past, the ADK was opposed to repairing the dam at Duck Hole.

I am sure Tom will pipe in, there is a movement in the process to try to rebuild the dam.
"If future generations are to remember us with gratitude rather than contempt, we must leave them more than the miracles of technology. We must leave them a glimpse of the world as it was in the beginning, not just after we got through with it." Lyndon B. Johnson
redhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2011, 07:25 PM   #10
geogymn

Great pics, the progression will be interesting to watch.
Old 10-11-2011, 08:54 PM   #11
Ordin Aryguy
or·di·nar·y

Quote:
Originally Posted by redhawk View Post

... there is a movement in the process to try to rebuild the dam...

Please, do tell.
Old 10-11-2011, 10:58 PM   #12
redhawk
Senior Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by redhawk View Post
I don't know about now with the new chapter, but in the past, the ADK was opposed to repairing the dam at Duck Hole.

I am sure Tom will pipe in, there is a movement in the process to try to rebuild the dam.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ordin Aryguy View Post
Please, do tell.
I'll leave that up to Tom. He and others are actively working towards that goal. In fact the possibility of repairing the dam was in the works for the past couple of years, before the breech.

I'm sure one or more of the parties directly involved will chime in. My only knowledge is that the possibility and the methods is in the workds, but I cannot accurately tell exactly what is in the works.
"If future generations are to remember us with gratitude rather than contempt, we must leave them more than the miracles of technology. We must leave them a glimpse of the world as it was in the beginning, not just after we got through with it." Lyndon B. Johnson
redhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2011, 12:23 AM   #13
ALGonquin Bob
Lake Lila - Low's Lake carry

To some, the drained pond at Duck Hole may look like "a wasteland", but mud flats like that are temporary. Next year, plants will start to grow and begin the natural progression into a meadow. Tom Wemett, the head of the Northville-Placid Chapter of ADK, is campaigning to rebuild the dam and will likely ask ADK to support his effort, but I think we should allow nature to continue its work. Meadows are beautiful, too.

Check out my "Mountain Blog" http://tinyurl.com/BobMountainBlog2

46er #5357W
ALGonquin Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2011, 02:52 PM   #14
DSettahr
ɹǝqɯǝɯ

Finally got around to posting the rest of the pictures from our weekend online: https://picasaweb.google.com/1165375...lDuckHoleTrip#
Old 10-13-2011, 03:55 PM   #15
ALGonquin Bob
Lake Lila - Low's Lake carry

Thanks for sharing the photos - it provides a good idea of what the area looks like a month after the breach. Looking forward to seeing it next summer when it begins to fill in a bit with vegetaton.

Check out my "Mountain Blog" http://tinyurl.com/BobMountainBlog2

46er #5357W
ALGonquin Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2011, 06:16 PM   #16
Slamdog

The dogs in the pictures.....

Pretty funny. The dogs in the photos at the Henderson Lake lean to are Lucy (white) and Luna (black) they were there with Ward (Malcolm) and Andrea. If I'm not mistaken, Malcolm was on his way up Adams at the time. Great photos. L

Last edited by Slamdog; 10-13-2011 at 06:17 PM.. Reason: colorblind!
Slamdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2011, 06:20 PM   #17
DSettahr
ɹǝqɯǝɯ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slamdog View Post
Pretty funny. The dogs in the photos at the Henderson Lake lean to are Lucy (white) and Luna (black) they were there with Ward (Malcolm) and Andrea. If I'm not mistaken, Malcolm was on his way up Adams at the time. Great photos. L
Yep, that was them.
Old 10-13-2011, 09:02 PM   #18
ward

Sorry to have missed you. Yes i was doing some minor repair to the roof on Mt Adams fire tower. Just wanted to be sure all was rock solid before the winter snows. It sure was an awesome weekend. Your pictures are great. Duck hole sure looks a lot drier than when Slammy and i were there a few days after the dam blew out.
ward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2011, 10:36 PM   #19
krummholz

I found it quite shocking to see Duck Hole in it's "de-watered" state over the weekend. I'm still sort of on the fence regarding whether the dam should be replaced. Seeing it first hand, it's clear that it would be a HUGE task without modern machinery and supplies. The bank was completely undercut on the leanto side.

It was good to meet you at Duck Hole D.

For those interested, I wrote up my trip from last weekend on the high peaks forum. Went over the Santanoni range with a bushwhack down to Cold River and Duck Hole. Here it is:

http://www.adkhighpeaks.com/forums/s...ad.php?t=16058
krummholz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2011, 09:54 PM   #20
rADK

Mother Nature... just as powerful as ever.
rADK is offline   Reply With Quote