Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > The Adirondack Forum > Adirondack Wildlife
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-03-2006, 10:17 PM   #61
lumberzac
Beware of the Lumberzac

Quote:
Originally Posted by twochordcool
I KNOW they can swim, just wondered if they have limits, and if they would look across Lake Champlain and think to themselves, "#U@# THAT!"

That article from Norway is very interesting, but even in that article they state that swimming that far is generally the exception and not the rule.
I donít think Lake Champlain would be too much of a barrier for moose to cross. They swam across Lake Superior to repopulate Isle Royale and thatís about 22 miles from the mainland. Champlain is only 14 miles at across at itís widest.

http://community.webshots.com/user/lumberzac
lumberzac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2006, 05:24 PM   #62
coolrobc

Just for a little perspective on moose and how fast the population can grow.

In Newfoundland, 4 moose were introduced in 1904 (after they lost the 4 introduced in 1897) The current moose population is estimated to be somewhere from 150-160,000 animals.

If the habitat is suitable(and it is) and since they are here, their numbers will grow without any help.

There's a fine line between fishing and just standing on the shore like an idiot. - Steven Wright
coolrobc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2006, 07:54 PM   #63
twochordcool

From 4 moose?

I'm surprised a lot of them don't just have one eye above their nose - or 5 legs.
twochordcool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2006, 11:06 AM   #64
adkdremn
Dreamin I'm there....the ADKS!

Queston for those involved in this discussion-
It's obvious that twochord believes so, but will animals that interbreed really end up with genetic deformities? I don't have any clue, but I would guess that animals that share the same blood line reproduce at different times in the animal kingdom with no know problems.
Old 05-05-2006, 12:56 PM   #65
coolrobc

First off I have to correct my earlier post I said," after they lost the 4 introduced in 1897." There were only 2 introduce in 1897.

I don't know how technical you guys want to get about this, but here's a short explanation (subjective).

There's a natural tendency in all animals that when inbreeding becomes overly prevalent in successive generations fertility in the population is reduced, producing less and less offspring in successive generations. Eventually leading to extinction of the species.

One theory goes is that the reduction in fertility reduces the population so that there would be less inbreeding. If the animals have no other choice than to inbreed the species looses all diversity and eventually results in sterility.

The genetic makeup if the 4 original animals in Newfoundland must have been sufficiently diverse, or by this time there would be major reductions in population.

The original 4 animals could produce 4 additional genetically distinct animals, 8 when you take into account male and female variations. Successive generations breeding with unrelated prior generations would produce additional sufficient genetic diversity.

Throw in the possibility that the original breeding pair introduced in 1897 may have bred with the 4 introduced in 1904, and there's even more genetic diversity.

You could look at information about breeding pure bred dogs for more info on the impacts of genetic diversity and inbreeding.

There's a fine line between fishing and just standing on the shore like an idiot. - Steven Wright
Old 05-05-2006, 01:15 PM   #66
adkdremn

Wow, that's a technical response!
Thanks for helping me understand animal genetics a little better!
Old 05-05-2006, 05:08 PM   #67
Grey-Jay

There seems to be three separate main population centers of moose in the Adirondacks. I am not sure the specific reason or possible impact, but the three groups are spread far enough out to not necessarily meet. Area 1 is the Perkin Clearing-WC lakes-Moose River Plains area. The second in in the northern region near Debar Pond. The third and growing is the Newcomb-Tahawus area. I ponder if these areas were just settled via different paths from Vermont. The northern moose via swimming LC while the Hamilton County area via Lake George and Washington County. A much smaller number is found east of Great Sacandaga Lake. While moose have been sighted just about anywhere, Long lake, Tupper Lake, Paradox lake, the areas mentioned seem to have the highest concentration. The offical DEC count has been listed for several years at 100-200, but one wonders how a count can be made.
Grey-Jay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2006, 01:01 PM   #68
AdkWiley

Quote:
Originally Posted by adkayaker
The offical DEC count has been listed for several years at 100-200, but one wonders how a count can be made.

I'm taking a wildlife management course, well i did take it, jsut took the final today! It is amazing how many differnt ways they have to figure out how many individuals are roughly in the population. Any where from sightings, tracking via radio collar, to counting piles of their you knwo what. Very interesting stuff.
Old 05-08-2006, 01:57 PM   #69
poconoron
Backcountry Wanderer

Quote:
Originally Posted by adkayaker
There seems to be three separate main population centers of moose in the Adirondacks. I am not sure the specific reason or possible impact, but the three groups are spread far enough out to not necessarily meet. Area 1 is the Perkin Clearing-WC lakes-Moose River Plains area. The second in in the northern region near Debar Pond. The third and growing is the Newcomb-Tahawus area.
That's interesting- I would think that the Pharoah Lakes Wilderness area due to it's proximity to Vermont and seemingly suitable habitat would also have a population. I wonder if anyone here knows if that is the case, or if anyone has had any sightings in that area?
Old 05-08-2006, 02:08 PM   #70
coolrobc

My grandfather lives on Schroon Lake, he's only seen 1(about 10 years ago) in that area over 30 years, but he doesn't get out in the woods as much as he used too.

Old 05-08-2006, 05:29 PM   #71
Qtip

I belong to a club in Stratford in Fulton County and one of our neighbors saw one just down the road from us about two years ago. Several years back (maybe ten or more) there was an article in the Daily Star of Oneonta, along with some pics I believe of a moose going through the southern Otsego/northern Delaware County area.

Qtip
Soli Deo Gloria!
Qtip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2006, 07:05 PM   #72
poconoron
Backcountry Wanderer

Moose tracks!

Although I have yet to see my first Adirondack moose, I saw the next best thing last Thrursday, May 4th.

While hiking on a logging road on International Paper Company land about 4-5 miles west of Mason Lake I came across some enormous moose tracks for a stretch of about 1/4 mile. The tracks were at least 6- 6 1/2 inches long and left no doubt as to what beast left them. I did take a few pictures to scale (35mm) which I am having developed and will post them if someone can give me an idea how to go about it, since they are NOT digital.

Earlier in the day I had come across some large (deer?) tracks which made me pause and wonder- but these 6-6 1/2 inchers left no doubt! This area is just south of Lewey Lake and near West Canada Wilderness and Moose River Plains.

Exciting to say the least.......
Old 05-08-2006, 07:36 PM   #73
Wldrns

Quote:
Originally Posted by poconoron
Although I have yet to see my first Adirondack moose, I saw the next best thing last Thrursday, May 4th.

While hiking on a logging road on International Paper Company land about 4-5 miles west of Mason Lake I came across some enormous moose tracks for a stretch of about 1/4 mile. The tracks were at least 6- 6 1/2 inches long and left no doubt as to what beast left them. I did take a few pictures to scale (35mm) which I am having developed and will post them if someone can give me an idea how to go about it, since they are NOT digital.

Earlier in the day I had come across some large (deer?) tracks which made me pause and wonder- but these 6-6 1/2 inchers left no doubt! This area is just south of Lewey Lake and near West Canada Wilderness and Moose River Plains.

Congratulations on spotting the tracks. Maybe next time the full beast will fill your viewfinder. I have seen moose tracks many times, actually every time I've recently been into the Moose River Plains, and quite frequently in other regions of the western 'daks.
Old 05-08-2006, 09:58 PM   #74
adkdremn

Poconoron-
If you go to the photography section it will tell you how to post pictures from film. You have to download a free program and then scan them into your computer and resize them. It's really not all that hard. I had no idea how to do it before I joined this forum. Wildernessphoto will always help you out if needed.
Look forward to seeing the pics!
Old 05-08-2006, 10:38 PM   #75
poconoron
Backcountry Wanderer

Quote:
Originally Posted by adkdremn
Poconoron-
If you go to the photography section it will tell you how to post pictures from film. You have to download a free program and then scan them into your computer and resize them. It's really not all that hard. I had no idea how to do it before I joined this forum. Wildernessphoto will always help you out if needed.
Thanks! Hope they came out good......
Old 05-08-2006, 11:04 PM   #76
Gray Ghost
46er#6729

Poco - I know from a reliable source that a Moose "hung out" around the Crane Pond area (Pharaoh Lake Wilderness) a couple of years back. I frequent that area and have never seen one, though.
Gray Ghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2006, 08:57 AM   #77
Grey-Jay

Quote:
Originally Posted by poconoron

yes, the Perkins Clearing Road and area is one place to definitely find signs of moose. I have found bedded down areas and fresh tracks every time I stop by. Part of this, as mentioned, is a definite moose population there, not just one. This area is also one where the DEC re-releases captured moose from other areas.
Grey-Jay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2006, 12:47 PM   #78
Danielsen
Wandering lycosid

Quote:
Originally Posted by adkdremn
Poconoron-
Easier: Get them developed at wal-mart, they'll put the pics on a disk for a little extra. Then just use those like digital pics. The quality's not great, but if you don't have a scanner, it's certainly an easy hassle-free solution.
Danielsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2006, 06:23 PM   #79
Hobbitling
spring fever

a word on the topic of "brain worm". I got curious, so I looked it up. I'm such a geek.

1. It is not the same as CWD (chronic wasting disease) chronic wasting disease is caused by an infectious protein called a prion, and is similar to mad cow disease, although there is little evidence humans can contract it.

2. It is an actual worm. a nematode about two inches long, which has a complex lifecycle you can read about at the link below. In a nutshell, it spreads in the feces of infected animals, and requires snails to complete its lifecycle. the moose eats the infected snails (attached to its food), and becomes infected with larvae.

http://www.unbc.ca/nlui/wildlife_dis...lus_tenuis.htm

thought you might find that interesting.
Hobbitling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2006, 10:48 PM   #80
Danielsen
Wandering lycosid

Quote:
Originally Posted by twochordcool
The moose population has grown because of incest!

Seriously, can you imagine a moose crossing Lake Champlain?

SERIOUSLY?!
Yes.

Arguments based around the limits of your personal imagination don't do you a whole lot of good.

Of course, I'm sure you'd be quite capable of imagining a moose swimming lake champlain if you tried. I can IMAGINE my dead grandmother swimming lake champlain... if I try. It's your imagination. Give me a break.
Danielsen is offline   Reply With Quote