Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > The Adirondack Forum > Adirondack Wildlife
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-04-2006, 02:59 PM   #61
Kevin
**BANNED**

Next trip out I'm putting a MRE at the bottom of Rickie's sleeping bag .
Kevin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2006, 03:16 PM   #62
lumberzac
Beware of the Lumberzac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin
How the DEC is managing the bear problem (with cannisters) is how other high-traffic parks in this country are managing their bear problem. And they're doing it successfully with much more dangerous bears. It would have been dealt with sooner if it were brown or grizzly bears. Being "only" black bears has taken some of the urgency from the situation, since we're not talking about people's lives being lost in a bear attack.
Thatís not completely true. One of the first areas to require bear canisters was in the Sierra Mountains of California. The problem bears in that area are also black bears. The last grizzle/brown bear to live in California was killed back in 1922.

http://community.webshots.com/user/lumberzac
lumberzac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2006, 03:20 PM   #63
Little Rickie

Quote:
Next trip out I'm putting a MRE at the bottom of Rickie's sleeping bag .
Interesting experiment? Will the smell of my feet cover the smell of the MRE?
Little Rickie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2006, 03:28 PM   #64
Little Rickie

I'm not worried about a bear attack just the inconvenience of losing my food.

Little Rickie[/QUOTE]

I'm not worried about a bear attack just the inconvenience of losing my feet!!!
Little Rickie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2006, 04:33 PM   #65
Kevin
**BANNED**

Quote:
Originally Posted by lumberzac
Thatís not completely true. One of the first areas to require bear canisters was in the Sierra Mountains of California. The problem bears in that area are also black bears. The last grizzle/brown bear to live in California was killed back in 1922.
I was thinking of Alaska. My head's still up there with the Grizzly Man...

Zac, you make a good point! It just took the adirondacks a long time to get the degree of backpacking traffic to start bear interactions and eventual dependence.

I'm sure the bear cans are a welcome addition to the parks that do have grizzly/brown bear populations.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Little Rickie
Interesting experiment? Will the smell of my feet cover the smell of the MRE?
If a bear's nose is everything we think it is, he'll smell the grease form the kitchen floor at home on the socks...
Kevin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2006, 08:01 PM   #66
Keithk
Keith

Quote:

I'll be open and brutally honest here - I'm kinda sick of comments like "we need to limit the people coming into the park". It's elitist and outright wrong. We need some control of the situation, more in line with "we need to limit the type of people having access to the park". I forget who mentioned the idea first, but creating a licensing program much like we do for other outdoors activities (hunting, fishing) would definitely help a lot. It would also make those who care matter, and those who matter care.

It would be real easy for me, after having my fill of 2 rounds of the 46, to sit back and start dictating to newer hikers that they need to stay out for good. To them it's going to seem very unfair, especially since many of them are responsible (know the leave-no-trace-ethics) and are also not likely the cause of the issue in tthe first place (since they just started hiking). If I can continue to be bold to draw an anology, it's about as rational as a person of African heritage accusing me of oppression, racism, and slavery. It's not my fault, why should I pay?

If the concern is for the habitat and animals then we all need to practice leave-no-trace to the best of our ability. We also need to confront those we encounter who aren't practicing this. Bringing a bear can is now part of that ethic. Times are a changin, and one can choose to change with it or become extinct.
to that
Keithk is offline   Reply With Quote