Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > The Adirondack Forum > Adirondack Wildlife
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-10-2006, 08:39 PM   #1
Crabby14ever
Karen

Jackrabbits in the Adirondacks?

Hi,
I just joined today and have been reading. Now I have a question. We have been going to my brothers vacation home in Paradox for over 10 years now. We have seen all sorts of wildlife on his property but this one is a first for us.

We took the ATV over to the other field. While my husband was riding around in the field he came back to me and said he saw a fox in the field. Ok I hop on and we take off. When we got there it was still there but it didn't look like a fox. It was on hind legs, estimating about 3 feet tall, huge ears but not long skinny ones they were more rounded, light brown/tan color. We figured we would leave it alone and took another ride around. When we got back it was still there but now it was starting to leave. It hopped like a rabbit. It was bigger than any rabbit I have ever seen.

Of course when we got back to the house I pulled out a wildlife book and couldn't find anything that looked like it. When we got home I googled Jackrabbits and I am thinking it looked like one. It was very large so I knew it wasn't just a regular rabbit. Of course my brother starts teasing me about it being a mutant rabbit with mickey mouse ears.

Karen
Crabby14ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2006, 09:53 PM   #2
Boreal Chickadee

Snowshoe hare, also called a varying hare because the coat changes color from brown in the summer to white in the winter. They have soem mighty big hind legs and ears!
I used to do a lot of winter hiking in the Berrymill Pond area (jsut over the hill as the crow flies)and Hague area- we'd always see them there.
Old 08-11-2006, 08:43 AM   #3
Crabby14ever
Karen

Snowshoe hare, also called a varying hare because the coat changes color from brown in the summer to white in the winter. They have soem mighty big hind legs and ears!

Thank you very much. I looked at pictures in the book and also on the internet of the Snowshoe hare but I only found ones of them in the winter.
What a beautiful looking animal. I wanted to just stay and watch it as it was also watching us but we didn't want to disturb it.

Thanks again,
Karen
Old 08-11-2006, 09:55 AM   #4
Sasquatch

Snowshoes do look like Jack's in their summer coats. They are a much prettier animal in winter. Taste better too.
Old 08-11-2006, 12:01 PM   #5
Crabby14ever
Karen

LOL,
I would love to see one in the winter. We either have a good weekend seeing lots of wildlife or nothing at all. This last weekend we had numerous deer, the hare, and a turkey standing next to the house. Lucky the dog wasn't outside at that time.

We aren't up there too much in winter. November is usually the last we go up until Easter. Althougth alot of those times we had a fair amount of snow to enjoy.

Karen