Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > The Adirondack Forum > Adirondack Wildlife
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-18-2006, 08:20 PM   #1
Grey-Jay

Bears

Just returned from a trip to the Smokies. Black bear were rather common and so were the dumb people that stopped their cars in the middle of the road, got out, and ran after a bear with point n shoot cameras. This included young children. Very bad behavior and risky behavior.

Are there any specific places (other than High Peaks and other campsite crazed bears!) now in the Adirondacks where one might hope to observe black bears in a more pristine and calm setting, based on their late summer natural food preferences.

I do realize how tough it is to ever see a bear in the Adirondacks . . I've seen them three times in 20 years, not counting campsite and dump bears.

(so I am obviously discounting the bear-prone spots like Lows Lake, Lake Colden, etc. in favor of a natural setting. I am thinking Moose River Plains perhaps?)

Last edited by Grey-Jay; 08-18-2006 at 08:59 PM..
Grey-Jay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2006, 09:55 PM   #2
redhawk
Senior Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by adkayaker
Just returned from a trip to the Smokies. Black bear were rather common and so were the dumb people that stopped their cars in the middle of the road, got out, and ran after a bear with point n shoot cameras. This included young children. Very bad behavior and risky behavior.

Are there any specific places (other than High Peaks and other campsite crazed bears!) now in the Adirondacks where one might hope to observe black bears in a more pristine and calm setting, based on their late summer natural food preferences.

I do realize how tough it is to ever see a bear in the Adirondacks . . I've seen them three times in 20 years, not counting campsite and dump bears.

(so I am obviously discounting the bear-prone spots like Lows Lake, Lake Colden, etc. in favor of a natural setting. I am thinking Moose River Plains perhaps?)
I've seen bear in several spots in the Silver Lake Wilderness, The Siamese Ponds Wilderness. I've seen quite a few in the vicinity of Lewey Lake.

I have never been specifically looking for bear, just have come across them, usually away from any normal trails. I've also had bear in my front and back yard.
"If future generations are to remember us with gratitude rather than contempt, we must leave them more than the miracles of technology. We must leave them a glimpse of the world as it was in the beginning, not just after we got through with it." Lyndon B. Johnson
redhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2006, 10:04 PM   #3
Wildernessphoto

Quote:
Originally Posted by adkayaker

This is a tough one Jeff...
When I've seen bears in the deep woods, away from people, they run like deer. They don't often hang around like bear in campgrounds, and dumps. Lumberzac and I saw fresh tracks here in cedar river flow.

I've seen bear here on the Raquette, and we've seen a shredded cedar on the horse trail here

I've seen bear in the wild in 2 other spots outside the high peaks that I can think of.
1-Deer Pond Marsh
2-feeding on berries on the portage to the Oswegatchi
I hope that will help. Let me know if you want to hook up and shoot some photo's. I'm going to be in the area the last week of August and the first week of October.
-Gary-

It's Not A Map...It's a "To-Do" List!
Wildernessphoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2006, 10:11 PM   #4
SLJames
Native Species

I've seen bears a few times. The most incredible sighting was about half way down Corey's road. A huge bear at least 350#, rich shiny coat and body that was rippling with muscles. It was in the road and ran up the bank when it heard/saw our car. It really took my breath away.

That said, with the way a bear can range, I don't think it is probable to pinpoint a location for sighting them.
SLJames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2006, 11:02 AM   #5
Hobbitling
spring fever

I saw three last summer around this time near pharoah mountain at crab lake. a mama with two almost full grown cubs, practically as big as the mama, although she wasnt that big. They were all pretty chubby, probably getting ready for winter. They were on the opposite side of the pond (maybe 100 yards, its a narrow pond) and just sort of looked at us curiously as they drank their water and waddled around on the rocks and then walked back into the trees. It was near dusk and we had our camp set up. We didnt sleep real well that night, since it was about a five minute walk (as the bear waddles) from there to our camp.

Wow, Gary, nice website, I just checked it out for the first time.
I'm up for a photo expedition too if I'm welcome. I have time off the last week of August from Aug 24-29, or most any weekend (wife permitting of course

Last edited by Hobbitling; 08-19-2006 at 11:31 AM..
Hobbitling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2006, 09:36 PM   #6
Wildernessphoto

Quote:
Originally Posted by hobbitling
I saw three last summer around this time near pharoah mountain at crab lake. a mama with two almost full grown cubs, practically as big as the mama, although she wasnt that big. They were all pretty chubby, probably getting ready for winter. They were on the opposite side of the pond (maybe 100 yards, its a narrow pond) and just sort of looked at us curiously as they drank their water and waddled around on the rocks and then walked back into the trees. It was near dusk and we had our camp set up. We didnt sleep real well that night, since it was about a five minute walk (as the bear waddles) from there to our camp.

Wow, Gary, nice website, I just checked it out for the first time.
I'm up for a photo expedition too if I'm welcome. I have time off the last week of August from Aug 24-29, or most any weekend (wife permitting of course
Your always welcome!
Here's a link to a trip I'm planning right now:
http://www.adkforum.com/showthread.php?t=4688

you could do the first leg if you want!
-Gary-

It's Not A Map...It's a "To-Do" List!
Wildernessphoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2006, 10:18 AM   #7
trouthunter

I see bear sign quite frequently in the Moose River Plains but to actually see a bear long enough to get a photo is tough.Ive been lucky enough to see a couple out there. One on the shore of Lost Ponds and another on the trail to Squaw Lake.
I heard reports of a small (1 year old?) bear roaming around Eagle Bay this past week.
trouthunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2006, 11:47 PM   #8
buffalogal

I may have seen that bear! Last Friday, we saw a young bear -bigger than a cub but not fully grown - cross the road on the south shore of First Lake between Old Forge and Inlet. It scampered across the road, stopped and looked at us for a moment (we were in a car), then went off into the woods. My first bear sighting. Here's a picture, although we were a little slow to get the camera out and missed his cute face.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Old Forge Bear.jpg (38.5 KB, 160 views)
buffalogal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2006, 09:53 AM   #9
trouthunter

buffalogal, Thanks for posting that pic. He sure fits the description of the bear spotted in Eagle Bay. I wonder if he swam across the Lake to the South Shore??
Old 08-23-2006, 07:47 AM   #10
bridgeman

If you can find a stand of black cherry with a heavy crop and monitor it for ripeness and there's bear in the area you have a good chance of spotting bear.

Last fall there was a heavy crop of cherries along the trail to Woodhull Mountain (Mckeever Area) and there were mounds of bear scat every five feet along the trail loaded with cherries. Although we didn't see a bear on this particular trip, it was evident that the bears spent a considerable amount of time in that area.
bridgeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2006, 08:05 AM   #11
what'sinaname
Slow down and enjoy it!

Wow. I call myself lucky AND unfortunate, never having seen one ever! Well there was this summer when I heard a loud snuff sound outside my tent at Bon Echo Provincial Park, but that's neither the 'dacks nor did I see anything....
what'sinaname is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2006, 10:17 AM   #12
trouthunter

I agree with Bridgeman,last year and this spring while fishing the Moose River in the Mckeever area I saw several piles of bear scat. That may be a good area to look for photo oppurtunities. Be aware that come hunting season that area is very popular with hunters.
Old 08-23-2006, 11:38 AM   #13
Neil
Kayak-46

If I was aiming to shoot some bear (with my Canon, A540 6 megapixel that is ) I would learn as much as I could about their behaviour and biology first and then go out and scout around for signs in a likely looking location. Then I would prepare to do a lot of sitting, listening, looking and waiting very quietly.

I remember seeing a lot of scat, fresh and older around Ausable #4. Maybe that would be a good place to start. Hardly anyone goes in there to that trailless peak and region. (We saw even more coyote scat up on the mountain top.)
Neil is offline   Reply With Quote