Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > The Adirondack Forum > Adirondack Wildlife
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-11-2006, 07:07 AM   #1
backpackingduo

Best Area to Spot Moose

I want to take a long weekend trip to the 'Dacks over Labor Day weekend. Where would be my best bet for a chance to spot a moose?
backpackingduo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2006, 10:58 AM   #2
Sasquatch

Indian Lake and Speculator claim to be the "Moose Capital of the Adirondacks". There are a good number of moose out there though. I used to live in Lewis County (Western Border of the 'dacks) and moose would wander around there as well. Now I live near Potsdam and we get moose up this way as well. They're roaming all over the place.
Old 08-11-2006, 02:08 PM   #3
AdRegion
TourPro

Blue Ridge Rd between 87 and the Tahawus might be good. I've seen them there.
AdRegion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2006, 05:28 PM   #4
hillman1
skiing demi-god

I've seen scat recently in near wakely dam, and also bushwacking south off of averyville road.
hillman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2006, 07:12 PM   #5
Boreal Chickadee

Moose River Plains
Old 08-11-2006, 08:33 PM   #6
whitefoot

I hiked the northern section of the NPT last wk. i saw moose tracks on the trail, between Averyville rd and moose pond lean-to.
whitefoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2006, 09:53 PM   #7
Wldrns

Quote:
Originally Posted by backpackingduo
I want to take a long weekend trip to the 'Dacks over Labor Day weekend. Where would be my best bet for a chance to spot a moose?
You're getting inputs on where you will see moose sign. Tracks abound in those regions, you'll see the tracks and scat everytime. Very few people actually see moose in the flesh, as they sense you long before you can spot them. I've seen more than one, but not when hiking. Always when quietly paddling a remote pond shoreline as I happen to make a turn around a point that has hidden me, they like feeding along the shore in protected shallow bays.

The Lewis County moose mentioned above were the first to arrive from the east, bull moose sniffing the air and heading west until they past right through the 'dakss and came into dairy cow country. People often saw them standing in pastures. They would simply walk through barbed wire fences and stare at the cows without doing much else. The poor guys must have been thinking "well, they smell good but look ugly; something is not quite right here." Now that there is an established moose population in more appropriate habitat in the Adirondacks the moose are not seen in dairy country anymore.
Old 08-14-2006, 11:33 AM   #8
trouthunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boreal Chickadee
Moose River Plains
Lot of Moose activity in the Plains.
Also a good spot is between Seventh Lake and Raquette Lake on rt 28,several people have spotted Moose there.
trouthunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2006, 04:12 PM   #9
Old Rivers

I have sucessfully called-in & hunted moose before but never spotted 1 in Adk's. If I were to look for them I would canoe down outlet of Louie Lake or drive Mason Lake road. For a moose call I would suggest punching a small hole through bottom of coffee can and threading a leather shoe lace knotting off the ends.. Wet the lace and squeeze while sliding fingers from bottom of can to end of knot about 1 foot long. This makes a sweet cow moaning sound. The rut will be starting mid-sept. but they should be starting to get itchy.
Old Rivers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2006, 04:34 PM   #10
Tidge

Boreas River valley - vanderwhacker wild forest between Newcomb and Minerva... saw a cow and calf just outside of Newcomb earlier this year and a large section of 28N in this area actually has Moose crossing signs posted now as the sightings have been so frequent....
Tidge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2006, 11:43 PM   #11
mikesill
adktroutchaser

Lewis County

Heard moose sounds while hiking back into Gleasmans falls in lewis county last week. I should have bushedwacked into the swampy area to get a photo but I was on the minutes with a party of 6.
mikesill is offline   Reply With Quote