Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > The Adirondack Forum > Adirondack Wildlife
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-24-2006, 03:09 PM   #1
taiga

What large animals frequent Lake Placid area??

I was just wandering if anyone had some great stories on large animals that are roam the woods near lake placid and the saranac area? Or info on rare animal tracks etc....?
taiga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2006, 09:10 AM   #2
kurtteej
New to ***** (not t'foot)

people. I'm in the area only between 1 and 3 times a year -- i don't consider the high peaks/lake placid area to be a critter area. I've seen few animals in the region.
Old 06-26-2006, 02:42 PM   #3
Keithk
Keith

Fun question....

I think (everyone can correct me if I'm wrong) that because the LP/SL area and the High Peaks are older, more mature forests, the density of large animals tends to be less than in many less mature, more agricultural areas farther from the heart of the park. Where you likely will see larger animals is sadly near the people, near campgrounds or popular hiking trails. This is largely due to the fact that many people don't take care of their food and campsites, so animals are drawn to the routes people always use. To some degree, this is becoming less the case now, as the new bear-proof containers are helping.

That being said, there obviously are large animals in the area. A couple years ago I saw a moose between SL and Bloomingdale, just past the BOCES in the marshy area leading into the Saranac River. I've seen a few bears, but always along roads, never in the wild (although last thursday I saw my first bear on a trail, while hiking in the Catskills). I saw some HUGE bear tracks once when I was working at Fish Creek Campground. Also, driving to work late one night, a large bobcat crossed the road in front me, actually about half a mile from the spot on 86 where Kevin took those pictures. Lastly, once while biking on the old railroad near Rainbow/Kushaqua, I saw a very large coyote, this bugger was pretty huge.

On an interesting side note, I saw a large fisher while hunting near Potsdam last year. There are so many more animals up that way, it's amazing. Deer, turkey, birds of all types, porcupines, everything. It quite the contrast to the tri-lakes area.
Keithk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2006, 11:39 PM   #4
Skyclimber
SAFE CLIMBING

I live in the Adirondacks and I see more wildlife alongside the road, than in the woods. I see deer and turkey on a regular basis. The other day I saw a coyote in a field near my house and a Pine Marten in the woods. Occasionally I will see a cottontail rabbit.

Paul Jamieson Class of '58
Skyclimber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2006, 07:57 AM   #5
Keithk
Keith

Rabbits

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyclimber2971w
Occasionally I will see a cottontail rabbit.
I'm up in Potsdam right now, and there is a huge spike in the rabbit population this year. Can't seem to keep the darn things out of my garden. I wonder if there is a big jump in the central ADK numbers too?
Keithk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2006, 08:06 AM   #6
redhawk
Senior Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keithk
I'm up in Potsdam right now, and there is a huge spike in the rabbit population this year. Can't seem to keep the darn things out of my garden. I wonder if there is a big jump in the central ADK numbers too?
Because of the abnormal rainfall and flooding, many animals migrated to higher dryer ground. Manitowah saw a baby moose at the edge of the woods by our house. You can be sure the mother was probally nearby. I have seen moose in the Silver Lake Wilderness in the past, but never near the house. I know the Sacandaga Campground was under water so most of the area along the middle Branch must have been flooded, driving them to higher ground.
"If future generations are to remember us with gratitude rather than contempt, we must leave them more than the miracles of technology. We must leave them a glimpse of the world as it was in the beginning, not just after we got through with it." Lyndon B. Johnson
redhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2006, 12:23 PM   #7
adk joe

i see a lot of pine martins in the high peak area, thats about it though, occasionally turkey and deer.

i was just out in wyoming and i saw more animals in 2 weeks there than i have in a lifetime in the adk.
adk joe is offline   Reply With Quote