Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > The Adirondack Forum > Adirondack Wildlife
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-21-2006, 08:01 AM   #21
what'sinaname
Slow down and enjoy it!

Interesting discussion... I stayed in that lean-too last summer and we didn't have any problems AND we were still bear bagging (yes, I've got a canister now). I figured a bear might enjoy a midnight snack on the beach, so there was no cooking/eating in the lean-too... and their was enough bait given the wee ones sometimes spill their food.

That being said, animals aren't stupid. They'll watch you and try to find a way to get your food. I feel it's the people who sometimes don't think. Don't make it easy for them. Hide your food away, if you're bagging it, get it far enough away from your tent and high enough; consider washing or rinsing that shirt you just spilt hot chocolate all over and hang it away from where you're sleeping; don't cook/eat inside the lean-too (might get away with sitting on the edge, but still); if you can, keep food upwind. Might sound silly and although I don't spend all that much time out, a few simple precautions have made ALL my camping trips bear free.
what'sinaname is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2006, 09:37 AM   #22
Kevin
**BANNED**

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wildernessphoto
Maybe hiding when you open your canister would work, and be prepared to close it immediately when, or if, "our friend" comes around. Post a look-out, and go into the back of the lean-to, or hike down along the shore somewhere to open the canister...Just some thoughts...
Too bad most hikers won't read that post prior to camping at Flowed Lands. And so long as it still happens, the bear will still use its newfound skill at getting food. Unfortunately the studies I've read and information I've obtained from rangers like Nate suggest that un-training a bear is next to impossible. Once the skill is learned, not only will they use it for life, they'll teach their young too.
Kevin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2006, 09:56 AM   #23
Dick
somewhere out there...

Quote:
Maybe hiding when you open your canister would work, and be prepared to close it immediately when, or if, "our friend" comes around.
Wherever you open the canister, develop the HABIT of opening it, taking or putting in what you need, and IMMEDIATELY closing it, whether there is an immediate bear threat or not. It only takes a few seconds to do...but it also only a few seconds for a bear to arrive.
Dick
Dick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2006, 10:08 AM   #24
coolrobc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin
Don't think anyone would recommend wrestling with a bear to teach it a lesson. Unless you carry rubber bullets and gun to fire them with you in the woods, best to just make some noise, then stand there politely as Smokey dines.
Ok, so angry silverback it is.
My wife loves that routine!

There's a fine line between fishing and just standing on the shore like an idiot. - Steven Wright
coolrobc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2006, 05:56 PM   #25
Wildernessphoto

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick
Wherever you open the canister, develop the HABIT of opening it, taking or putting in what you need, and IMMEDIATELY closing it, whether there is an immediate bear threat or not. It only takes a few seconds to do...but it also only a few seconds for a bear to arrive.
Dick
I agree Dick. Also, if you post a look-out, you won't be surprised, because someone will see him coming. Then with a closed bear canister, you can move away from it, and let him find out he's to late

It's Not A Map...It's a "To-Do" List!
Wildernessphoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2006, 06:34 PM   #26
fvrwld

What do you do with the food that you're cooking/consuming? Now, thats the scary part. When he finds the cannister closed how long until this very intuitive bears figures out "Hmmm...If I knock human down, I get food"
fvrwld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2006, 06:44 PM   #27
Dick
somewhere out there...

Quote:
Originally Posted by fvrwld
What do you do with the food that you're cooking/consuming? Now, thats the scary part. When he finds the cannister closed how long until this very intuitive bears figures out "Hmmm...If I knock human down, I get food"
If I were considering camping there, given the recent activity of a problem bear (yes...I know...it's not a bear problem, it's a people problem!), I would probably:
a. eat early and away from camp.
b. plan on a cold meal that doesn't need cooking

and most likely:
c. find another place to camp

Dick
Old 07-21-2006, 07:04 PM   #28
Wildernessphoto

Quote:
If I were considering camping there, given the recent activity of a problem bear (yes...I know...it's not a bear problem, it's a people problem!), I would probably:

and most likely:

Dick
Is Marcy dam having the same problem? or is this bear hanging out at flowed lands?

Old 07-21-2006, 07:04 PM   #29
fvrwld

Quote:

and most likely:

Dick
I pick c.

Other uninformed hikers might run into trouble though. Also this bear could always move to another stomping ground if he starts to find his lean-tos empty every night.
Old 07-21-2006, 07:09 PM   #30
Wildernessphoto

Quote:
I pick c.

Other uninformed hikers might run into trouble though. Also this bear could always move to another stomping ground if he starts to find his lean-tos empty every night.
you know...Last summer, I didn't see any bears as long as Gerard was there. Has anybody had any sitings of bears when they had there dog at the lean-to's?

(1000 post, Val. congrats!)

Old 07-21-2006, 07:19 PM   #31
fvrwld

Quote:
Yay! I've really made it now!!!
Old 07-21-2006, 07:20 PM   #32
Wildernessphoto

Quote:
Yay! I've really made it now!!!

Old 07-21-2006, 08:19 PM   #33
Dick
somewhere out there...

Quote:
Is Marcy dam having the same problem? or is this bear hanging out at flowed lands?
The only reports I've read involved the flowed lands area. But of course that entire corridor is a problem.

Dick
Old 07-21-2006, 08:29 PM   #34
Rik
H-E-R-O

Quote:
you know...Last summer, I didn't see any bears as long as Gerard was there. Has anybody had any sitings of bears when they had there dog at the lean-to's?

My Rottweiler has slept through two bear "encounters". Once he was in a tent and never heard/smelled the bear that had made tracks around camp and once he and I lay sleeping at the Flowed Lands lean-to while my wife listened to at least two bears trying to take our food down. In general I see less wildlife when I hike with the dogs but these bears did not seem deterred by the fact that a large dog was in camp.

Also, I think that if the rangers are already steering people away from an area because of this bear then it will probably be a very short time before the bear is "removed".
Old 07-23-2006, 07:37 PM   #35
JohnnyMac

I slept in the same leanto last February - no bear problems

I couldn't be bothered going in there this time of the year. A bear that waits for a canister to open is enough to keep me out of there and find another place to go. Lord knows we have enough choices close by or far away.

The bear canister law is a good thing but it doesn't discourage anyone from returning to this beautiful part of the Adirondacks. One might think it keeps the crowds coming.
Old 07-24-2006, 03:50 PM   #36
daLunartik

We stopped at the Calmity Brook Lean-To's on Thursday (7/20) for lunch, and passed a trio of hikers who had stayed there the night before who had no problems. They had also been warned by another hiker who was tenting in the area about the bear. Apparently, they also ran into the ranger responsible for tagging the bears, and this bear is a "known" problem bear who as been radio collared. Of course this is 3rd hand info, so I don't know how accurate that is. We had actually been hoping to run into the ranger, since Ben is an old roommate of my hiking partner, HauntedFox.
daLunartik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2006, 04:29 PM   #37
ADKMatt

We stayed at the Calamity lean-tos in the summers of '01, '03, and '04 and had bear encounters each of the 3 years. The first 2 times, we had our food hung on the DEC line, and the 3rd, we had canisters. He got our grub the 1st year, but not the 2nd two. On all three trips we had our black lab with us. Never had any problems with aggressive bears, but it's easy to see how they could be. There are a LOT of stupid people out there. We saw some idiots in the lean-to across from us fire a bottle rocket up the hill and at the bear as he was walking away. We reported them to the ranger on our way past the station on Lake Colden. No matter what the result though, each encounter was cool when it was over, but scary while it was happening. I've got some great pics from a 45 minute tirade when he tried relentlessly to get at our hung bag. Now we just hike the extra 45 minutes up to Lake Colden and stay there. No problems the last 2 years.
ADKMatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2006, 04:39 PM   #38
lumberzac
Beware of the Lumberzac

Quote:
If I had to guess, I would think it is very likely to see the very same bear at Marcy Dam. I remember talking with a ranger that was on bear patrol a few years ago and he said he had been tracking a bear that every night would raid the Marcy Dam area, then over to Lake Colden, then to Flowed Lands, then back to Lake Colden, up to the Feldspar Lean-to, and finally back to Marcy Dam, every night.

http://community.webshots.com/user/lumberzac
lumberzac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2006, 09:28 PM   #39
Dick
somewhere out there...

A recent trail report on VFTT (7/29) included the following paragraph:

"We got evicted from our campsites at flowed lands because of an aggressive bear that needed to be "destroyed" by the DEC and they didn't want us in an area of danger. This is because too many people had their food in bags stolen and the bear lost its fear of people (at least 1 group friday night alone). So please follow the rules for our sake and the bears."
Old 07-31-2006, 10:26 PM   #40
ADKlvr

Well its comforting to know OLD NASTY is still there. He got me two years ago late June. I filed a report with Region 5 and a ranger contacted me. We talked at length and this is why I now own a BV 350. We would like to return to Calamity Brook Lean to and hang a garbage bag of lake water for him to take down and see if we can run him off a bunch of times for fun before he gets it down. Any body for an early bear hunt in September?