Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > The Adirondack Forum > Hunting and Fishing in the Adirondacks
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-17-2018, 08:29 AM   #1
jblaser

Fishing the West Canada Lakes

I am planning a trip into the West Canada Lakes in August (French Louie loop). I want to do some (Tenkara) fly fishing while there and I am considering bringing in my pack raft. I don't know what to expect in terms of fishing and would be interested in your thoughts, advice and tips on this and whether having the pack raft would be advantageous. I will have 6-8 days if I want them. Thanks!
jblaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2018, 07:33 PM   #2
ewthielking

August is late for many of the S adirondacks. October might be better when water cools off, and trout start hunting the edges.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
ewthielking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2018, 12:09 PM   #3
Stillhunter

Most trout opportunities in August in the lakes and ponds will be deeper trolling or sinking fly line fishing on the drop offs. Might be some surface activity early or late but not dependable is my guess. Seems like a very long way to carry a pack raft? Just curious, how much does it weigh?
Good luck and hope you get nice weather. Just doing that loop would be a lot of fun even if the fish do not bite!
Stillhunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2018, 09:51 AM   #4
Lucky13

Tenkara looks like a good way to pick pockets in a high gradient stream, but you defeat the purpose of using the raft to get out in a pond by limiting yourself to a rod length of line. As indicated earlier, if you want to fly fish, a conventional outfit with a sink-tip or sinking line will get the fly to the trout most of the time in the warm months.

Also, do not pack short on food with idea that you will be catching supper, there is no surer way to pick up the skunk than to need the fish!!!
Lucky13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2018, 11:21 AM   #5
webby459

I *seriously* hope to be fishing the WCL area in early Aug myself...well, with my son. We are SUPER novice anglers, and will be backpacking in. None of the fam have yet caught trout, but not for lack of trying, but always with a worm both in the BML area in early Sept, and this summer on the Kayadeross. Also, we are very unlikely to eat anything we catch.

That said, we will still try for a trout. It'll all be from shore, and my plan was to bring a spoon or two and maybe a Mepps Aglia, small. For simplicity, I had planned on tying them all to a moderate leader, and using a snap swivel on the shorty rod: comments for a better rig or lure?

Mainly, I see us fishing for bass. Lately, not that I've caught anything with it yet, I've been a fan of the ease of using a Texas rig with a worm powerbait on an offset hook for bass. I like this rig because it doesn't get hung very easily, if at all. I was thinking of prerigging some of these (well, Carolina rig to the snap for extra ease). Comments on this rig or baits?

General comments on a really versatile rig/lure for pretty much landing anything from shore in this area? We're basically at the point where we've had our fill of landing sunnies from the local golf course ponds, and want to try for either bigger bass or an occasional trout.
webby459 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2018, 01:19 PM   #6
Lucky13

The West Canada Lakes Wilderness is brook trout water, with a couple of lakes holding residual natural lake trout. To my knowledge there are no bass lakes or ponds in WCL Wilderness. Bass are destructive of trout ecosystems, so please do not decide to improve the area by bringing some little ones, too many ADK lakes (Little Tupper most recently) have been ruined by people who wanted their favorite fish in a lake where God didn't intend it to be. There are plenty of places to fish for bass without ruining limited and unique trout habitats.

Worms will work for Brook trout in both the streams and ponds, but be aware that brook trout can swallow a worm baited hook very rapidly, and fish that are deeply hooked in the throat have low chance of survival even if you cut the line before releasing them. So if you are going to fish with worms, plan on eating at least some trout. Thy are delicious rolled in some cracker crumbs and fried in a little fat. Worms are also hard to carry, especially in deep summer, they die (and stink to high heaven) rapidly in the heat. We always use a cooler with ice to transport worms, so unless it is cool out they are not going backpacking. An alternative bait that is legal and cuts down on mortality is the waxworm, a type of fly larva often sold in pet stores as lizard food, and very popular with ice fishers. Instead of a hook, use a fairly large ice fishing jig with one or two waxworms impaled, and fish this with a slip bobber so the bait can sink. The fish will usually not swallow this rig, and the lip hooked fish can usually be released. UNDER NO CIRCUMSTANCES SHOULD MINNOWS BE USED even if you can catch them locally. It is both illegal in WCL, and risks ruining a brook trout pond as surely as bass would. Small Mepps, CP Swings, Rooster tails (I use a cigar to shorten the feather skirt), phoebes, mooselooks, all can be cast from shore in both streams and lakes. Always use the smallest high quality ball bearing swivel you can get with spoons and spinners to reduce line twist. A small muddler fly and a small split shot will catch stream trout as well as a worm, using ultralight spin gear, and if you bend the barb down the fish are easy to release. Like wise, changing a treble hook out to a single, or cutting two points off the treble will make it less damaging to fish you intend to release.

Have a great time and please give the fishes the same consideration as the woods, try to leave it better than you find it, but without making any changes to the composition.
Lucky13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2018, 01:54 PM   #7
webby459

Thanks Lucky13, I won't be carrying any live critters, for bait or for reintroduction, so no worries there. Sounds like I can just trim my little box down to a Mepps or two and maybe I'll try one of the others you suggest, like the CP, and cut two points off the treble and crimp.

I think we'll be lucky indeed to catch one from shore this time of year, but you never know!
webby459 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2018, 04:29 PM   #8
jblaser

Thanks to everyone for all the ideas and information. I fly fish, catch and release only. Never tried fishing with live bait. The pack raft weighs 35 oz., double bladed paddle 23 oz. For me, the fishing is more of a diversion and means of relaxation. I like to do it early and late in the day. I am thinking there might be some streams to try as well?
Old 07-25-2018, 09:20 PM   #9
JW

Would love to know what kind of raft you are using. I use an old sevylor fish hunter 110 - weight capacity 220 which i am sightly over. I only use late in summer when water is warm , and am capable of swimming long distances in wild waters. Coleman bought sevylor and discontinued my favorite raft - they obviously have a good insurance man
JW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2018, 07:21 AM   #10
gmorin71

If you are fishing from your raft plan on keeping your catch. At that point pulling a trout up into the warm surface water will surely kill it even after a successful release.

Lee Wulff
gmorin71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2018, 02:58 PM   #11
jblaser

Thanks, but I won't be fishing deep water. I plan on dry flies along the shoreline. Probably won't be very productive, but that's ok because I never keep them. Any tips on streams to fish?
Old 07-26-2018, 07:09 PM   #12
ADKpikebuster

Donít forget to take a little beer...trout love Busch light

I used to drink a lot. I still do...but I used to, too

http://youtu.be/DJH8iMb2YXk YEEFRICKINYEEE "
ADKpikebuster is offline   Reply With Quote