Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > The Adirondack Forum > General Adirondack Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-01-2018, 08:32 PM   #1
cuterocky
Kalie

Pharaoh Lake helicopter?

I'm curious if anyone knows what was going on around Pharaoh Lake a few days ago. I couldn't find any news articles and didn't see anything that matched in the Forest Ranger Highlights published today.

On Thursday 9/27 some friends and I hiked into Pharaoh Lake from Putnam Pond. Throughout the day we could hear a helicopter every once in awhile. We set up camp at Split Rock Bay/the #4 lean-to. Around 6:15pm while we were cooking dinner a helicopter flew super low directly overhead heading south and landed on Pharaoh Lake near the east shore. I didn't catch any tail numbers but I'm 95% sure it was a NY Police helicopter. It matched the coloring of this one

It landed on the water, just sorta of circled around in place for a few minutes, and then took back off heading west behind Pharaoh Mountain which is the direction we had seen it going a few times earlier.

Here's some video I caught of it. Not the best quality as it was pretty far away so I had the optical and digital zoom maxed out on my camera.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SASswSXHT1w

We heard a helicopter a few more time over the next day or 2 if I'm remembering correctly but not nearly as often or as close as we heard/saw it on Thursday.

Any ideas?
CL50 #506
ADK 11/46

I Should Go Hiking...
cuterocky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2018, 08:56 PM   #2
Pauly D.

Maybe they were stocking the lake with trout? I know they use a helicopter to do that in some places.

Cool video by the way!
Old 10-01-2018, 09:13 PM   #3
Tick Magnet

Solid video!

Pauly D nailed it. Fish stocking. Probably staging out of Schroon Lake Airport based on your comments about the direction they flew after departing Pharaoh Lake. I've heard the choppers up in Pharaoh, but never seen them in the act.

DEC made this production of their stocking activities. Looks just like your video!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eftknjAf9oo
Old 10-01-2018, 09:29 PM   #4
cuterocky
Kalie

Interesting! Fish stocking never even crossed my mind. All I could think of was a search and rescue mission. But after watching that DEC video everything matched perfectly; the helicopter, floating around for a few minutes, and hearing them throughout the day probably stocking multiple bodies of water nearby.

Well, that was an easy mystery to solve. Thanks to you both!
CL50 #506
ADK 11/46

I Should Go Hiking...
Old 10-02-2018, 08:56 AM   #5
Justin
Moving along

We saw it overhead at Crane Pond this weekend also. First thing I said to my girlfriend was “They must be doing some stocking”.
Justin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2018, 10:49 AM   #6
cuterocky
Kalie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin View Post
We saw it overhead at Crane Pond this weekend also. First thing I said to my girlfriend was “They must be doing some stocking”.
Well you're smarter and more optimistic than me! We all thought they were searching for some lost soul
CL50 #506
ADK 11/46

I Should Go Hiking...
Old 10-02-2018, 11:00 AM   #7
Justin
Moving along

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuterocky View Post
Well you're smarter and more optimistic than me!
Ha...No I wouldn’t go that far. I’m pretty sure the next thing I said was “or maybe they’re searching for Kalie & her friends.”
Justin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2018, 11:46 AM   #8
cuterocky
Kalie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin View Post
Ha...No I wouldn’t go that far. I’m pretty sure the next thing I said was “or maybe they’re searching for Kalie & her friends.”
CL50 #506
ADK 11/46

I Should Go Hiking...
Old 10-02-2018, 04:34 PM   #9
Lucky13

We had the State Police chopper land on Squaw Lake as we were coming in carrying a canoe once. In that instance, they were bringing in the NYSDEC monitoring team, who were doing water quality work on the pond. Once we got the canoe launched, I learned more in 20 minutes of conversation with the biologist than I would have in a whole season of exploring the lake on my own.
Lucky13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2018, 10:48 PM   #10
chaser
pond jockey

I agree on stocking. This time of year you catch them doing grid patterns in wet valleys, pretty sure they are looking for "green"crops.
Old 10-12-2018, 10:11 AM   #11
dundee

Could be a training exercise, it looks like a state police chopper.
dundee is offline   Reply With Quote