Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > The Adirondack Forum > Adirondack Wildlife
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-21-2011, 11:29 AM   #21
WinterWarlock
One foot in front of the other

Quote:
Originally Posted by redhawk View Post
What has always amused me about that is the fact that they never found footprints. So, there is no way to be sure that the migration was from West to East and not the other way.

In the last few years, the evidence of the earliest inhabitants in North Americas has moved the date backward by about 500,000 years. Who knows what future finds will reveal?

Just something to think about. Or perhaps you all prefer to be descendants of Ethiopians? Oh wait, Lucy has an older sibling by a few thousand years.
Along those lines, here is a fascinating book I'm in the middle of right now..."In the Wake of the Jomon"

The Jomon originated roughly 15,000 years ago in Japan...and yet there were skeletal remains found in the Pacific Northwest some years ago that show clear connections to the Jomon. The author of the book set out to try to get from Japan to Alaska by small boat, to try to recreate the passage the Jomon may have taken. Very very interesting, and while I haven't finished it, I'd highly recommend it.

Enjoy Every Sandwich!
WinterWarlock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2011, 11:59 AM   #22
Pumpkin QAAD
Whachu talking about

Speaking of mega fauna -the Clovis culture, arguably the oldest identified tool users in North America used spear points similar to those found in Northern Spain and France and genetics point the same way...hmmmm.....Maybe the vikings weren't first.

http://www.sciencedirect.com/science...e7884ceecf3bf5

I'm more of a multiple wave guy myself as there are intuitive distinctions between Inuet, North American Indigenous and SA Indigenous.
Old 01-21-2011, 02:58 PM   #23
redhawk
Senior Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pumpkin QAAD View Post
Speaking of mega fauna -the Clovis culture, arguably the oldest identified tool users in North America used spear points similar to those found in Northern Spain and France and genetics point the same way...hmmmm.....Maybe the vikings weren't first.

http://www.sciencedirect.com/science...e7884ceecf3bf5

I'm more of a multiple wave guy myself as there are intuitive distinctions between Inuet, North American Indigenous and SA Indigenous.
Actually new finds have predated the Clovis people by several thousand years.

You are correct in the fact that the DNA from South American and North American Indigenous people is different. The SA DNA has roots to the Middle east, most likely Phonecian, while the Northern DNA is similar to Asian. So It was not multiple waves, but two different regions. Inuit and North American DNA is the same to the best of my knowledge although I am not 100% positive.

Another interesting thig is that the DNA of all of us Northern peoples can be traced to a gene pool of just eight females, which is the explanation why we were so suseptible to diseases.

Hawk
"If future generations are to remember us with gratitude rather than contempt, we must leave them more than the miracles of technology. We must leave them a glimpse of the world as it was in the beginning, not just after we got through with it." Lyndon B. Johnson
redhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2011, 03:18 PM   #24
geogymn

Quote:
Originally Posted by redhawk View Post
Another interesting thig is that the DNA of all of us Northern peoples can be traced to a gene pool of just eight females, which is the explanation why we were so suseptible to diseases.

Hawk
Eight females? Boy, they must have been free spirited, must of been in the sixties.