Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > The Adirondack Forum > Adirondack Wildlife
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-31-2011, 09:39 PM   #1
DEEPFOREST
Adirondacks = Heaven

Pine Marten chasing Snowshoe Hare

On Sunday 1/30 I was hiking in the Seward Range on the Calkins Brook Trail via Corey's road. It was an overcast morning and lightly snowing. At about 8am I saw a white snowshoe hare coming up the trail, I froze so I wouldn't startle it and it kept hopping right up the trail towards me. It wasn't hopping very fast and stopped about 30 feet before me and looked directly at me.

It continued to hop up the trail towards me at a slow speed as I noticed movement further down the trail and it was a Pine Marten in pursuit of the hare. The hare hopped right past my feet coming within 2 inches of my snowshoes and motionless body. It was mostly white but it did have some light brown molted spots on it.

The pine marten was hoping directly in the hare's tracks and didn't see me untill about 15 feet where it stopped in it's tracks and looked at me with a puzzeled expression. We stared at eachother for few seconds and he ran off the trail and disappeared into the woods on my right side. I'm convinced the hare used me as a diversion to avert the marten.

My two friends were well behind me and I could hear them reacting to seeing the hare while trying to get a picture. They had no idea the hare was being chased by the marten. I then saw the rabbit running back towards me in the woods and in the direction where the pine marten was.

I don't know what happened because we couldn't see either animal and didn't stay to see if anything would happened. We continued along the trail and the chase tracks continued in the middle of the unbroken trail for almost a 1/4mile.

I really regret not getting out my camera, it was right in my pocket. I didn't want to move and spook the hare. The whole thing seemed to happen so fast even though if I acted quickly I could of captured it all on video in retrospect.

This was the first snowshoe hare I have ever seen in any phase and i will remember this "little" predetor hunt forever.
DEEPFOREST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 12:29 AM   #2
TBPDPTI

A video of that would have been simply spectacular!!

The other 56: Summer: 49/56(1st); 10/56(2nd); 3/56(3rd); 3/56(4th) Winter: 13/56(1st); 2/56(2nd); 1/56(3rd); 4th (0/56)
TBPDPTI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 07:03 AM   #3
geogymn

Chance of a life time spectacle! Indelible memory. Providence flashed you a smile!
Old 02-01-2011, 08:08 AM   #4
DougV

Hey Deepforest, I hiked D, E, & S on 12/29. Coming down the Calkins brook path, I came around a little corner and a snowshoe rabbit was coming up the trail, I almost stepped on it. It (in retrospect, reluctantly I'm thinking) turned around and ran back down the trail. I went a little further, maybe 30 yards, and there was a pine marten coming up, it stopped in its tracks and we had a stare off for a few seconds before it ran away. That rabbit was having a bad day! He probably would have been safer running past me than turning around. Sounds like the Seward Range version of the roadrunner and wylie coyote. That was the second pine marten and snowshoe that I saw that day.
DougV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2011, 08:20 AM   #5
adk
Adirondack Forest

Quote:
Originally Posted by DEEPFOREST View Post
On Sunday 1/30 I was hiking in the Seward Range on the Calkins Brook Trail via Corey's road. It was an overcast morning and lightly snowing. At about 8am I saw a white snowshoe hare coming up the trail, I froze so I wouldn't startle it and it kept hopping right up the trail towards me. It wasn't hopping very fast and stopped about 30 feet before me and looked directly at me.

It continued to hop up the trail towards me at a slow speed as I noticed movement further down the trail and it was a Pine Marten in pursuit of the hare. The hare hopped right past my feet coming within 2 inches of my snowshoes and motionless body. It was mostly white but it did have some light brown molted spots on it.

The pine marten was hoping directly in the hare's tracks and didn't see me untill about 15 feet where it stopped in it's tracks and looked at me with a puzzeled expression. We stared at eachother for few seconds and he ran off the trail and disappeared into the woods on my right side. I'm convinced the hare used me as a diversion to avert the marten.

My two friends were well behind me and I could hear them reacting to seeing the hare while trying to get a picture. They had no idea the hare was being chased by the marten. I then saw the rabbit running back towards me in the woods and in the direction where the pine marten was.

I don't know what happened because we couldn't see either animal and didn't stay to see if anything would happened. We continued along the trail and the chase tracks continued in the middle of the unbroken trail for almost a 1/4mile.

I really regret not getting out my camera, it was right in my pocket. I didn't want to move and spook the hare. The whole thing seemed to happen so fast even though if I acted quickly I could of captured it all on video in retrospect.

This was the first snowshoe hare I have ever seen in any phase and i will remember this "little" predetor hunt forever.

Thanks for sharing that was a great mental image. No worries about the photo you certainly did the correct thing. Its one thing if you have a little room or the animal is not looking right at you, but in the situation you have described had you reacted at all and reached for your camera you can bet the behavior would have changed and they likely would have bolted. Just remaining still can give you some amazing things to watch. A Marten on the prowl of a Snowshoe hare in winter is a great scene...
Old 02-01-2011, 11:02 AM   #6
fisher39

Awesome story, and thanks for sharing!
fisher39 is offline   Reply With Quote