Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > The Adirondack Forum > Adirondack Wildlife
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-20-2010, 09:41 AM   #1
rADK

Cougar sightings...

These maps are kind of strange. Why such a difference in patterns between the two decades? They are condensed in one area in the 80s and then spread out in the 90s, while becoming mostly absent in previously condensed areas, like the northeast corner (Clinton Cty).

rADK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2010, 10:11 AM   #2
Hobbitling
spring fever

I blame the internet!
Old 09-20-2010, 12:53 PM   #3
fisher39

Quote:
Originally Posted by hobbitling View Post
I blame the internet!
Did you see the picture of that house cat that was mistaken for a black panther a week or two ago? Hilarious... it got picked up by the media even though a plume of goldenrod it was walking by was bigger than its head.
fisher39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2010, 03:28 PM   #4
Blackhawk

Quote:
Originally Posted by ADK Rob View Post
These maps are kind of strange. Why such a difference in patterns between the two decades? They are condensed in one area in the 80s and then spread out in the 90s, while becoming mostly absent in previously condensed areas, like the northeast corner (Clinton Cty).
Perhaps this (in the attached pic) is what they're seeing.

I remember a person who identified starlings as crows and we were within 50 feet of them.

Is there a link for the maps/data?

Thanks,
Attached Images
File Type: jpg D 1 178 - Copy.JPG (14.3 KB, 480 views)

My photos cannot be used without my written permission.
Blackhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2010, 12:13 PM   #5
rADK

Quote:
Originally Posted by hobbitling View Post
I blame the internet!
That actually makes some sense.. but the internets weren't much of an influence until late 90s. And a bigger rumor mill would only explain the spread of sightings not the disappearances from certain areas...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackhawk View Post
Perhaps this (in the attached pic) is what they're seeing.

I remember a person who identified starlings as crows and we were within 50 feet of them.

Is there a link for the maps/data?

Thanks,
I found the maps here: http://rotw.ez-landingpage.com/

Not sure where the data came from. And you're right they could all be false positive IDs and hoaxes... that's why I'm wondering if the pattern of sightings relates to how reliable they are. Are these areas with lots of bobcats, dogs, which areas are private/public, etc. I'm trying to figure out the sampling biases... And yea I would like to see the actual reports but I haven't been able to find them.
Old 09-21-2010, 12:24 PM   #6
fisher39

Earlier in the summer I was SURE I saw a coyote sneak across the road in front of me. The tail was down and it was moving in coyote fashion. I slowed to a stop where the "coyote" had crossed, looked into the woods to see a doe and a fawn (the "coyote") standing there calm and nonchalantly. I was embarrassed, but it was a healthy reminder that I should never trust first fleeting glimpses!
Old 09-21-2010, 12:34 PM   #7
DSettahr
ɹǝqɯǝɯ

It's interesting that on either map, there are pretty much zero sightings in the High Peaks.
DSettahr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2010, 01:10 PM   #8
rADK

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSettahr View Post
It's interesting that on either map, there are pretty much zero sightings in the High Peaks.
Yea I was thinking the same thing. none over the entire 40 yrs.

Old 09-21-2010, 01:37 PM   #9
sp_nyp
Mad Scientist

Quote:
... if there were cougars, would there be much for them to eat there? Also, wouldn't the high concentrations of people cause them to shy away?
sp_nyp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2010, 01:59 PM   #10
Blackhawk

The high peaks, imho, seem to be poor mountain lion habitat. Estimated deer population densities (when estimates are reported) are the lowest of the low.

Yes, in certain small pocket areas, deer densities can be higher.
Perhaps deer densities in the 'dacks will become higher as habitat changes over time - e.g., large forest fires, cutting, disease etc. killing off large stands of trees etc.

The habitat for large carnivores to thrive and populate is where the food source is plentiful (deer). Unfortunately that takes them in very close proximity to high densities of homo sapiens (ho saps) and we all know what happens when they come near human settlements or even are suspected of being near.

My photos cannot be used without my written permission.
Blackhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2010, 09:55 PM   #11
gulo

Quote:
As opposed to the single piece of confirmed evidence in the Daks, in Keene Valley in '93,

http://www.cougarnet.org/northeast-desc/11-93.htm

http://www.cougarnet.org/northeast.html

http://www.cougarnet.org/totalus.html
gulo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2010, 10:26 PM   #12
gulo

Quote:
Unfortunately that takes them in very close proximity to high densities of homo sapiens (ho saps) and we all know what happens when they come near human settlements or even are suspected of being near.
Depends on the state and how well first-responders understand the threat, which experienced wildlife officials - and a knowledgeable public - understand is tiny. California can be downright casual about residential incidents,

http://easterncougar.org/CougarNews/?p=2264

http://www.morganhilltimes.com/news/...y-lake-estates
gulo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2010, 09:03 AM   #13
FTHR&DAGHTR

Just so I'm clear..............we're talking 4 legged cougars,right?

....... with the good Lord willin' and the creeks don't rise.......
FTHR&DAGHTR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2010, 01:06 PM   #14
rADK

Quote:
The high peaks, imho, seem to be poor mountain lion habitat. Estimated deer population densities (when estimates are reported) are the lowest of the low.

Yes, in certain small pocket areas, deer densities can be higher.
Perhaps deer densities in the 'dacks will become higher as habitat changes over time - e.g., large forest fires, cutting, disease etc. killing off large stands of trees etc.

The habitat for large carnivores to thrive and populate is where the food source is plentiful (deer). Unfortunately that takes them in very close proximity to high densities of homo sapiens (ho saps) and we all know what happens when they come near human settlements or even are suspected of being near.
Not necessarily...we just know that when they cause problems, they are near human settlements, not vice versa. Hard to say how often they are nearby without peoples' knowledge.
Old 12-30-2010, 09:23 AM   #15
redhawk
Senior Resident Curmudgeon

Not the Adirondacks buy here is a Cougar eating a mountain goat and another of his sleeping not far from the carcass
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Cougar & mtn goat - Glacier.jpg (77.7 KB, 228 views)
File Type: jpg mtn lion - Glacier.jpg (76.0 KB, 226 views)
"If future generations are to remember us with gratitude rather than contempt, we must leave them more than the miracles of technology. We must leave them a glimpse of the world as it was in the beginning, not just after we got through with it." Lyndon B. Johnson
redhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2010, 10:05 PM   #16
EagleCrag

Oh, I've seen lots of those in the Adirondacks. I thought they were coyotes. :-)
EagleCrag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2010, 07:38 PM   #17
bethfit

Quote:
Originally Posted by EagleCrag View Post
Oh, I've seen lots of those in the Adirondacks. I thought they were coyotes. :-)
That's a funny response
bethfit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2011, 07:58 PM   #18
murphymarrk

Ive seen a lion in north georgia.Absolutly.So why not the Dacks.Personal sightings are always sketchy,but someones word must be taken,right?
murphymarrk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2011, 09:05 PM   #19
EagleCrag

Yeah, but say you saw one and most folks will look at you funny!
EagleCrag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2011, 09:16 AM   #20
fisher39

Even if I do see one, I'm not going to tell anyone unless I've got the pictures or other evidence to back it up to convince skeptics like me!