Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > The Adirondack Forum > Adirondack Wildlife
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-20-2011, 08:23 PM   #21
Connie Bear Orion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wildernessphoto View Post

That is right in my backyard. I'm ready, willing, and able!

240lbs of free ham sounds like a plan to me!

I understand the negative impact they will hve when they arrive, but I hope they get to my property soon.
I want free pork.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sasquatch View Post
I saw a wild hog run across the road (don't remember which road, but between Carthage and A-Bay, yeah, I know, not ADK, but still...) a few years back. I'm pretty sure it was from a local "hunting preserve" aka "we'll hold it down, you kill it bar and grill". I agree with some of the statements above, if a hog wants loose, it'll get loose, and once loose, it's hard to catch, and does well on its own. I doubt there's a large population, but there are probably a few that are out there that are escapees.... question is, are they protected wildlife, or free kill like red squirells?
The hunting rule book for this year and last year both state feral hogs to be free shooting like a red squirrel.
Connie Bear Orion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2011, 08:30 PM   #22
Limekiln

They handle winter just fine. There's a fenced hunting club in New Hampshire with a population of boars.

I don't think they will ever be too abundant in the deep woods due to lack of food. They seem to thrive in farm country though.
Old 01-20-2011, 09:19 PM   #23
Boreal Chickadee

A few years ago boar were confirmed in Cortland county. I've seen their tracks on seasonal dirt roads and was cautioned by to be careful when walking in areas where they are regularly seen. This is farming country and where the boars have established themselves, damage to the land can be serious.
Old 01-20-2011, 09:33 PM   #24
adk
Adirondack Forest

Quote:
Originally Posted by smr220 View Post
Apologies for resurrecting an ancient thread - but word is that these boars have spread considerably in the past few years. Any inclinations whether they have reached the wilds of the Adirondacks? And how do they survive the harsh NY Winters?
Which regions of the park I haven't heard of any myself at least in the northern tier. Has there been any recent confirmations with pictures etc
Old 01-21-2011, 08:08 AM   #25
geogymn

How can we decimate or extirpate Bison, P pigeons, wolves, pumas, moose, deer, Ginseng, etc. but we can't control a couple of fat pigs?
Old 01-21-2011, 08:19 AM   #26
randomscooter
Native Earthling

Quote:
Originally Posted by geogymn View Post
How can we decimate or extirpate Bison, P pigeons, wolves, pumas, moose, deer, Ginseng, etc. but we can't control a couple of fat pigs?
Mainly due to lack of a market IMO.

"Pushing the limits of easy."
randomscooter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2011, 09:58 AM   #27
Pumpkin QAAD
Whachu talking about

Probably because they adapt well to the environment man creates.

I know some hunters in the syracuse / fingerlakes area that get wild hogs but i don't know if they put them there for hunting purposes.
Old 01-21-2011, 10:34 AM   #28
hydronaut
North Country Exile

NY hogs

There is a growing population of wild hogs in the syracuse/cortland area. The DEC encourages hunters to take any hogs they might encounter.There was at least one big pig taken this year that I know of.

http://blog.syracuse.com/outdoors/20...pound_wil.html

This is the DECs webpage on Feral pigs

http://www.dec.ny.gov/animals/70843.html
hydronaut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2011, 10:57 AM   #29
adkman12986

Here is an article from 2008 about 2 boars shot by Cortland NY. I haven't heard of any wild boars being sighted or shot around this area but I do know that there are several High Fence Operations in the Canton area that have boars and some have escaped. Wether they are still out there or not I don't know however DEC classifies them as an invasive species and encourages hunters to shoot them. There is no season so one can hunt them year around.

http://blog.syracuse.com/outdoors/20..._in_scott.html
adkman12986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2011, 10:59 AM   #30
rdl

The southern tier of NY as well. Wild Boars invade Allegany State Park: http://newyorkoutdoors.wordpress.com...ny-state-park/.

The link is over a year old, but it does contain some information on the transformation of domestic to feral hogs.
rdl is offline   Reply With Quote