Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > General Forum Related Topics > "By the Fireside"
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-18-2014, 08:55 AM   #1
HappyHiker

Question The alternate ADK retirement plan

This is just a question. I have no plans to retire in the ADK's...

I always hear of people wanting to make a camp to retire in the ADK's. It seems like a nice idea. Waking up with a cup of coffee and watching the deer eat your vegatable garden you just planted yesterday .

Does anyone retire to Elizabethtown or Saranac lake? You would be closer to hospitals, grocery stores, libraries, dentists, car repair, etc. The moutains would be a short drive. I assume the houses would be cheaper. You could afford to upgrade the home before you move in. The environmental impact would be less too. Also when you are older, if you need to hire someone to mow the lawn or shovel you out, they are right there in town.

I have never even driven through either of these towns so I don't even know what I am talking about. It is just a thought.
HappyHiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2014, 10:17 AM   #2
yellowcanoe

SL in town seems reasonable, especially older drafty Victorian homes. Waterfront ..not. You can spend a bundle.

Cost of living Saranac Lake..less than average
http://www.city-data.com/city/Sarana...-New-York.html

Cost of living Elizabethtown ( county seat full of attorneys) Very High
http://www.city-data.com/city/Elizab...-New-York.html
yellowcanoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2014, 09:51 PM   #3
l'oiseau
**BANNED**

Since I'm sick of reading about loud pipes...

I like your idea. I think some people like the romanticism of retiring to the Adirondacks without practically understanding what it is like to live there year round. It is quite difficult, even in town, and despite my relatively youthful 33 years I have to say things don't get any easier. I can only imagine when that figure doubles.

If one has the money it is a nice place to be part time and keep a residence somewhere warmer and more forgiving to old bones. I've often fantasized about having a 'camp' in the park and a home on the eastern seaboard. But the way things are going now I don't really see a 'traditional' retirement in my future, so I might as well enjoy life while I can.

Some are tougher and can handle the black flies, storms and floods, general isolation from society and high cost of living associated with park life. I think you are better acclimated if you lived there from the start, but maybe some old dogs can learn new tricks. Personally, I might find need a vacation to somewhere less hostile.

The Adirondacks were never meant to be heavily settled, and even less so meant to be a retirement community... Thank Bob... The last thing we'd want is the park turning into Boca Vista Florida.

And as far as house prices, yes, they do tend to be less expensive in the villages - but that is not considered the premium real estate in the Adirondacks... water frontage is king, and surely that is what everyone wants. It also has a way of separating the well-off part time residents from the working class locals.
l'oiseau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2014, 10:36 PM   #4
yellowcanoe

Retirement: Summer is lovely.
Fall schedule: Fell trees for next year or order firewood. If lakefront make sure your woodpile is not at the top of the hill. Order crampons. You cant afford a new hip.
Winter. Day 1. Watch it snow. Day 2 remove snow..or pay someone to do it. Day 3. Play. Repeat.
Perhaps each other cycle you get on the roof and rake it.

Yes you better stay fit and connected with a neighbor or two. If you have a serious medical problem be prepared to go to Burlington. Its only two hours by ferry.

As always in retirement; level is better and the potential to accommodate a ramp a good idea. The last thing you want is isolation because you can't get out. And please plan on driving till you die, safely, fitting with traffic and maintaining your skills. Because there is no public transit.
yellowcanoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2014, 02:21 PM   #5
forest dweller

I do want to finish out my life in an area that I love beyond words...

but I would never want to be a part of "developing" the Adirondacks...I would not buy a wooded lot, tear down trees, put in a well, infrastructure and a home (building)...

If the house was in existence already I would seriously consider purchasing if I could afford it.

I may have to compromise with the wife! (Purchasing an affordable home outside the blue line, so that she has easy access to civilization - she can go an hour to a mall and I can go two hours to the woods)

But maybe I can talk her into living in a small hamlet in the Adirondacks...if I promise to take her for a drive to civilization once a week)

I'm also considering Montana, Washington and Oregon.

I just want to retire to a place where people have value the natural world and have kept vast portions of it to be forever wild.

That's how I want to finish out my life...that's where I want to die.
forest dweller is offline   Reply With Quote