Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > General Forum Related Topics > "By the Fireside"
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 07-03-2014, 08:23 PM   #1
bluequill
Member
 
bluequill's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Saranac Lake
Posts: 751
New Music ?

Well, the thread on real estate and taxes has my head spinning. So how about something lighter?

Has anyone heard any new music that gets your blood pumping?

What concerts are you planning to go to this summer.

My new favorites are Courtney Barnett from Australia, Strand of Oaks from Philly and Lake Street Dive out of Boston. I saw Courtney a couple of times recently and saw Strand of Oaks last week. I'm looking forward to a 3 day festival in Philly at the end of the month.

How 'bout you?
bluequill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2014, 09:46 PM   #2
Zach
Last seen wandering vaguely
 
Zach's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Orwell NY
Posts: 766
In September George Wilson will be appearing at the NYS Old Time Fiddler's Association in Osceola for one of their free Sunday afternoon concerts and I plan to go, he is a great fiddler and also sings and plays banjo and 12 string guitar(not all at once).
Zach
Zach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2014, 10:07 PM   #3
Glen
Check please
 
Glen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Huntington Bay, NY
Posts: 1,109
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluequill View Post
Well, the thread on real estate and taxes has my head spinning. So how about something lighter?

Has anyone heard any new music that gets your blood pumping?

What concerts are you planning to go to this summer.

My new favorites are Courtney Barnett from Australia, Strand of Oaks from Philly and Lake Street Dive out of Boston. I saw Courtney a couple of times recently and saw Strand of Oaks last week. I'm looking forward to a 3 day festival in Philly at the end of the month.

How 'bout you?
Ditto on Courtney. Quite a talent. How is she live?
__________________
“Once there were brook trout in the streams in the mountains. They smelled of moss in your hand. On their backs were vermiculate patterns that were maps of the world in its becoming. Maps and mazes. Of a thing which could not be put back. Not be made right again. In the deep glens where they lived all things were older than man and they hummed of mystery.”
― Cormac McCarthy
Glen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2014, 12:41 AM   #4
Acke61
I like to hike
 
Acke61's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Westmoreland, NY
Posts: 19
I'm a big fan of The Infamous Stringdusters. Really good bluegrass / folk.
__________________
-Jeremy-
Acke61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2014, 09:40 PM   #5
bluequill
Member
 
bluequill's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Saranac Lake
Posts: 751
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glen View Post
Ditto on Courtney. Quite a talent. How is she live?
I saw them in Philly (sold out) last spring at Union Transfer which is a smallish venue, less than 500 people. Very, very good. Also at Firefly Festival in Dover, DE.

To me, they are the most impressive band I have heard in the past ten years.
bluequill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2014, 06:45 AM   #6
Mud0536
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: North Syracuse
Posts: 30
Well, my suggestion might not be in keeping with the others, but about a year ago I stumbled across a group from Canada called "Walk Off The Earth" WOTE. Google them and look for the song "Happy" That leads to a lot of their music videos. Some of them are pretty creative.
Mud0536 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2014, 10:58 AM   #7
redhawk
Senior Resident Curmudgeon
 
redhawk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: In My Memories
Posts: 10,933
Not particularly new release but new to me. Ramblin' at the Ryman - Levon Helm
__________________
"If future generations are to remember us with gratitude rather than contempt, we must leave them more than the miracles of technology. We must leave them a glimpse of the world as it was in the beginning, not just after we got through with it." Lyndon B. Johnson
redhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2014, 11:43 AM   #8
Justin
Moving along
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 6,189
A few newer bands that I've been listening to lately:

Aqueous - A kick ass groove-rock band from Buffalo, NY.

Nicki Bluhm & the Gramblers - California folk-rock from San Francisco.

Kung Fu - Sonic new age funk

Also, the new album from the band moe. No Guts, No Glory is really good, as is the new Phish album Fuego.
Can't wait to see the finale of the 3 night run at SPAC tonight!

Last edited by Justin; 07-05-2014 at 12:10 PM..
Justin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2014, 07:29 PM   #9
geogymn
Member
 
geogymn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 1,910
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mud0536 View Post
Well, my suggestion might not be in keeping with the others, but about a year ago I stumbled across a group from Canada called "Walk Off The Earth" WOTE. Google them and look for the song "Happy" That leads to a lot of their music videos. Some of them are pretty creative.
Great!
__________________
"A culture is no better than its woods." W.H. Auden
geogymn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2014, 07:44 PM   #10
Swamp Booger
Member
 
Swamp Booger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: The Rack Shack, Central NY
Posts: 687
I recently learned about a contra music group called "The Great Bear Trio", ...really cool stuff! The keyboardist attends our church. You can check them out online.
__________________
****************************
"The wilderness opens us to God's presence because it reduces everything to what is exactly necessary, and no more." John Lionberger Renewal in the Wilderness
***********************
My pictures:
https://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/PT...=photos_albums
Swamp Booger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2014, 08:03 PM   #11
bluequill
Member
 
bluequill's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Saranac Lake
Posts: 751
Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin View Post
A few newer bands that I've been listening to lately:

Aqueous - A kick ass groove-rock band from Buffalo, NY.

Nicki Bluhm & the Gramblers - California folk-rock from San Francisco.

Kung Fu - Sonic new age funk

Also, the new album from the band moe. No Guts, No Glory is really good, as is the new Phish album Fuego.
Can't wait to see the finale of the 3 night run at SPAC tonight!
That Nikki Bluhm sounds good. Probably great live.
bluequill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2014, 08:14 PM   #12
bluequill
Member
 
bluequill's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Saranac Lake
Posts: 751
Quote:
Originally Posted by redhawk View Post
Not particularly new release but new to me. Ramblin' at the Ryman - Levon Helm
Levon Helm, one of the greats. I really enjoyed the Dirt Farmer album.

R I P
bluequill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2014, 04:30 PM   #13
bluequill
Member
 
bluequill's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Saranac Lake
Posts: 751
Music update.

My paddling ventures have been temporarily curtailed due to impending shoulder surgery. So, I have been listening to a lot of live music lately.

I was fortunate to see "Trigger Hippy" at a festival last weekend AND at a 300 seat venue (http://thekey.xpn.org/2014/08/01/lis...-free-at-noon/) this past Friday. WOW, this has to be my favorite band this year. The band includes Jackie Greene and Tom Gorman from the Black Crows and Joan Osborne plus a couple of awesome session musicians. You need listen to these guys if you like driving rock, sultry ballads and Joan Osborne.

Justin, thanks for the Nikki Bluhm heads up........have tics to see them play at the above venue in Sept.
bluequill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2014, 05:41 PM   #14
Justin
Moving along
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 6,189
Quote:
bluequill;
Justin, thanks for the Nikki Bluhm heads up........have tics to see them play at the above venue in Sept.
Justin is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 02:04 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

DISCLAIMER: Use of these forums, and information found herein, is at your own risk. Use of this site by members and non-members alike is only granted by the adkhighpeak.com administration provided the terms and conditions found in the FULL DISCLAIMER have been read. Continued use of this site implies that you have read, understood and agree to the terms and conditions of this site. Any questions can be directed to the Administrator of this site.