Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > The Adirondack Forum > General Adirondack Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-17-2017, 09:46 PM   #41
adkman12986

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyVirgil View Post
What kind do you have? I've seen/heard electric drones capable of hoisting a GoPro and they weren't what I'd call silent. You could hear them from very far away.
Got it from Walmart called Velocity
adkman12986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2017, 01:01 PM   #42
Buckladd

Last fall my wife and I were paddling down the Bog River and were on the final stretch to the dam when a drone flew over and hovered for a bit near us. It didn't bother me, but it did her and it made kind of zzzzzzzz sound. The guy was running it from the dam and said it could travel four miles.

Then, this past summer, we met a kid who was flying one from Golden Beach to Raquette Lake hamlet and back. That too was pretty loud. My neighbor has one but doesn't fly it near my house out of respect for our privacy and I appreciate that. He takes some phenomenal photos with it, especially of sunsets and thunderstorms.

Bottom line: motorized use is not allowed in Forest Preserve lands designated as Wilderness. From what I understand that applies not only to vehicles but also chainsaws, electric trolling motors on fishing boats, and now, drones. Be advised, electric bikes are soon to be the rage.
Old 11-27-2017, 03:01 PM   #43
montcalm
Mobster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckladd View Post
Be advised, electric bikes are soon to be the rage.
I wouldn't worry too much about them. Bikes are already banned in the wilderness areas. And for the most part, eBikes have been excluded from mountain bike trails in most of NY although they may be allowed snowmobile trails in the park.

And I'm not sure they will be all the rage. It seems people are buying them because shops are selling them only to go places to ride and find out they are not welcome, when they were probably told otherwise when they purchased. AFAIK they are restricted to where motorcycles are allowed, which for most, won't justify the purchase. Things will probably change as more people buy them and lobby to get access, but I doubt they'll be much of an issue in the Adirondacks.
montcalm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2017, 09:47 PM   #44
Buckladd

Quote:
Originally Posted by montcalm View Post
Things will probably change as more people buy them and lobby to get access, but I doubt they'll be much of an issue in the Adirondacks.
Give it a year or two. I personally know Adirondack hunters who have purchased them, or plan to, in the past year. They're cheaper than ATV's, quieter and can go on a foot trail. They've been a big hit at shows like the SHOT show in Las Vegas and are gaining attention nationally, just like drones. I tested one out myself and was impressed with the performance, durability and power. We've got an older hunter in our group who is considering one for the private lands we hunt. One person contacted me to ask about access and I explained the Wilderness classification to him as well as that of the Forest Preserve.

My point is that I see them growing in popularity at the national level, like drones, and eventually catching on locally. Forest Preserve regulations won't change to accommodate them or drones, but the same discussion will be had that we are having about drones, and will continue to do so.