Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > The Adirondack Forum > Hunting and Fishing in the Adirondacks
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-21-2018, 10:56 AM   #1
adirondackcamper
Pine Barren

Advice on trail camera

Hi all! I am new to hunting and trapping and would like to buy a trail camera for scouting. Being brand new to this activity tho, I have no clue which game cameras I should be looking at, and which to just completely avoid. What brands are good? Which brands are no good? Id like something with good expandable memory through an sd card. Good quality pictures are a must. But at the same time cost is important to me. Being my first trail cam, I dont want to spend an arm and a leg. Also are all trail cams waterproof, that is definitely an important feature Im looking for.

Thanks yall
Steve
adirondackcamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2018, 11:37 AM   #2
bioguide

Quote:
Originally Posted by adirondackcamper View Post
Hi all! I am new to hunting and trapping and would like to buy a trail camera for scouting. Being brand new to this activity tho, I have no clue which game cameras I should be looking at, and which to just completely avoid. What brands are good? Which brands are no good? I’d like something with good expandable memory through an sd card. Good quality pictures are a must. But at the same time cost is important to me. Being my first trail cam, I don’t want to spend an arm and a leg. Also are all trail cams waterproof, that is definitely an important feature I’m looking for.

Thanks y’all
Steve
I have three trail cameras that I've left out all year before and if I was to buy another it would be the Cabela's brand Outfitter (which I have 1 of): http://www.cabelas.com/product/Cabel...1.uts?slotId=4

It has expandable memory via SD card, quality pictures (see below), mid range in cost, water proof and if you use lithium ion batteries they will last out in the field for well over a year.

Old 02-21-2018, 12:06 PM   #3
timberghost
I bear therefore I am

With the wide range of options out there today it really depends on what priorities you have.

Pretty much all decent cams are waterproof (though construction and ease of use is not equal for all) and have SD slot for memory (that typically accepts 32Gb and up card)

You might benefit from reading something akin to "first time trail cam buyers guide" over at trailcampro dot com (and some of the other guides they have)
They have pretty good reviews of current offerings, but they don't cover everything that's out there.

Happy scouting!
Old 02-21-2018, 01:49 PM   #4
GRGS

There is some very good info on youtube.
GRGS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2018, 01:53 PM   #5
GRGS

The Salernos have some very good info on the Outfitter tv website about trailcams. I believe the videos are in the archive section. Hope this helps.
GRGS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2018, 02:12 PM   #6
Tug Hill

I have 3 cuddeback, 1 bushnell, 1 browning, and 1 moultrie. I like the cuddeback the best. Moultrie is the cheapest and I dislike it, the browning and bushnell are OK but a pain to program.
Cuddeback are Easy to set up, good picture quality , fast recover speed, and good customer service.
Price range $80 - $200.
Tug Hill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2018, 05:54 AM   #7
Buckladd

A few websites:
https://www.trailcampro.com
https://www.trailcameralab.com

Also, I consider my friend who runs this website an expert:
http://adktrailcam.com
Old 02-22-2018, 09:06 AM   #8
mgc

I have three Moultries...they all have issues so I would not recommend them.
Check Rodgers spring sale to see what they have available.

I'm not sure how you plan to use them? I went through a game cam phase and finally concluded that they are kind of like heart rate monitors..they tell you the obvious and provide too much information. I've stopped using them except for a few weeks in the late summer....
I do use them from time to time for capturing game pictures, but not to pattern how I hunt and for what..
mgc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2018, 10:28 AM   #9
Fly Rodder

www.camofire.com and amazon for deals. camofire deals are generally once a week (trailcam tuesday I think) and they can offer good prices. Be sure to double check model numbers because camera companies are all about offering a zillion different versions for a zillion different prices making comparison shopping very difficult, it's like mattresses.

I have three cameras from three different companies and I've been generally happy with all three. One of the big things to look for is how easy it is to program the camera. Some come with a simple dial and some with a menu screen.

Oh, and bears like to chew on them.
Fly Rodder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2018, 10:37 AM   #10
Fly Rodder

I found this camera rotated about 120 degrees from where I left it and sporting some teeth marks. Still works, though.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg bearcam.jpg (140.8 KB, 99 views)
Fly Rodder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2018, 12:05 PM   #11
adkman12986

One thing to take into consideration is where you are putting them. People love to "borrow" them. Trail cams can range from $75 to over $500. I have some great photos from a Wildgame cam that was around $100 I use on state land where someone may borrow it and 1 that was $600 that will send photos and Videos to your computer I use on private land.
adkman12986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2018, 03:11 PM   #12
Tug Hill

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgc View Post
I have three Moultries...they all have issues so I would not recommend them.
Check Rodgers spring sale to see what they have available.

I'm not sure how you plan to use them? I went through a game cam phase and finally concluded that they are kind of like heart rate monitors..they tell you the obvious and provide too much information. I've stopped using them except for a few weeks in the late summer....
I do use them from time to time for capturing game pictures, but not to pattern how I hunt and for what..
I agree to a point. In the past without them, I wasted a lot of time hunting areas that did not hold a mature buck. So, what they do for me is, if I do get a photo of a mature buck, it motivates me to hunt that area.
Tug Hill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2018, 03:48 PM   #13
cutbait

The Primos Proof Camera 01 is what I started using last fall. Easy to set up and you know that it's on because it has a switch which is either on or off. I have had many other cameras where I had to wave my hand in front to make sure I saw the infrared sensor flash to know it was working, and even then I wasn't real sure.
With this camera, it's so easy to set up and use. Also, takes great pictures and is a great value. You can get these at F&S or DSG stores for around $40 after taking into effect the rebate when offered, which is often.
cutbait is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2018, 05:31 PM   #14
bobadkhunter

Steve, Love the cuddeback color trail cameras, have had great success with these, easy setup and good price, PM me for my email address and I will send you some of my pics, day and night.
bobadkhunter is online now   Reply With Quote