Adirondack Forum  
Rules Membership Donations and Online Store Adkhighpeaks Foundation ADKhighpeaks Forums ADKhighpeaks Wiki Disclaimer

Go Back   Adirondack Forum > General Forum Related Topics > "By the Fireside"
Register FAQ Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 11-08-2019, 10:39 AM   #21
JohnnyVirgil
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: Porter Corners, NY
Posts: 964
Pretty sure “resolve amicably” means “sent a cease and desist letter.” Ha
JohnnyVirgil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2019, 11:38 AM   #22
Muddy Creek
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2017
Posts: 19
Same thing happened to Hanes, the underwear company when it sued Hanes Hummus, a small shop in Canada, for trademark infringement citing "confusion in the marketplace." Perhaps only a trademark lawyer or a greedy CEO can't tell the difference between underwear and a tasty bowl of hummus. It backed down after public reaction and ridicule.
Muddy Creek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2019, 03:48 PM   #23
Woodly
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Location: SNY
Posts: 280
I noticed today that 'Backcountry' is advertising widely on the internet today.
Woodly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2019, 05:51 PM   #24
debmonster
No Ramen Allowed
 
debmonster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: New York, NY
Posts: 140
Apparently, Backcountry has had a change of heart (or perhaps they realized the long-term effect on their reputation and bottom line) and has fired their law firm and dropped the lawsuits. Too little, too late for many of the small businesses who either shut down or had to re-brand: https://gearjunkie.com/backcountry-f...-relationships
debmonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2019, 06:01 PM   #25
JohnnyVirgil
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: Porter Corners, NY
Posts: 964
Quote:
Originally Posted by debmonster View Post
Apparently, Backcountry has had a change of heart (or perhaps they realized the long-term effect on their reputation and bottom line) and has fired their law firm and dropped the lawsuits. Too little, too late for many of the small businesses who either shut down or had to re-brand: https://gearjunkie.com/backcountry-f...-relationships
Fired their law firm? Donít law firms just do what you tell them? Itís not like they were sending letters and filing suits nobody knew about. 19,000 people on a boycott Facebook page seems to have gotten their attention.
JohnnyVirgil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2019, 06:07 PM   #26
debmonster
No Ramen Allowed
 
debmonster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: New York, NY
Posts: 140
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyVirgil View Post
19,000 people on a boycott Facebook page seems to have gotten their attention.
Agreed. My reference to a "change of heart" was meant with sarcasm, but I forgot the /s/. Power to the people!
debmonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2019, 06:38 PM   #27
Woodly
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Location: SNY
Posts: 280
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyVirgil View Post
Fired their law firm? Donít law firms just do what you tell them? Itís not like they were sending letters and filing suits nobody knew about. 19,000 people on a boycott Facebook page seems to have gotten their attention.
That's just a method of saving some face and showing the populace they 1. did screw up and 2. are serious in their apoligee.

Lets see if the law firm sues them
Woodly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2019, 06:57 PM   #28
JohnnyVirgil
Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: Porter Corners, NY
Posts: 964
Apparently they went after a guy who had a picture of a mountains goat in his logo. Hereís an example from the Facebook page:

I just can't hold back anymore. I am the owner of a consignment/secondhand outdoor gear shop in Boise, ID. The name of my shop was Backcountry Pursuit for the first five years I was in business. That was until Backcountrydotcom's lawyers got a hold of me and forced a rebrand. My shop is now called Boise Gear Collective. They came after a used gear shop employing 14 people at the time in Boise, ID that had zero online presence besides and informational website and the occasional Craigslist post. I am happy to say I am thriving now and have grown to 23 employees in the past year despite this entire mess and the tens of thousands of dollars it cost me. I feel rather vindicated that this is all happening and I so appreciate the community standing behind small businesses like mine. It still doesn't replace the money I lost fighting this battle, but hopefully the local community will spend a little more at my shop this winter stock up and holiday season.
JohnnyVirgil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2019, 10:28 PM   #29
Woodly
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2018
Location: SNY
Posts: 280
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyVirgil View Post
Apparently they went after a guy who had a picture of a mountains goat in his logo. Hereís an example from the Facebook page:

I just can't hold back anymore. I am the owner of a consignment/secondhand outdoor gear shop in Boise, ID. The name of my shop was Backcountry Pursuit for the first five years I was in business. That was until Backcountrydotcom's lawyers got a hold of me and forced a rebrand. My shop is now called Boise Gear Collective. They came after a used gear shop employing 14 people at the time in Boise, ID that had zero online presence besides and informational website and the occasional Craigslist post. I am happy to say I am thriving now and have grown to 23 employees in the past year despite this entire mess and the tens of thousands of dollars it cost me. I feel rather vindicated that this is all happening and I so appreciate the community standing behind small businesses like mine. It still doesn't replace the money I lost fighting this battle, but hopefully the local community will spend a little more at my shop this winter stock up and holiday season.
And that is why we need to care.
I for one am glad this thread was begun.
Woodly is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 04:04 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

DISCLAIMER: Use of these forums, and information found herein, is at your own risk. Use of this site by members and non-members alike is only granted by the adkhighpeak.com administration provided the terms and conditions found in the FULL DISCLAIMER have been read. Continued use of this site implies that you have read, understood and agree to the terms and conditions of this site. Any questions can be directed to the Administrator of this site.