Remote Adirondack hunting & hunting pressure

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Remote Adirondack hunting & hunting pressure

Since 2015 I have been making annual weekend trips down to the Adirondacks to hunt deer. While we do have a healthy deer herd here in Eastern Ontario and plenty of public access, I prefer the Adirondack experience.

In Eastern Ontario we have large tracts of provincial public land, but they are laced with ATV trails and logging roads - and motorized vehicles are permitted throughout it all. It's very difficult (pretty much impossible really) to get away from motorized access.

So far I've hunted the Western High Peaks, Jay Mountain, and Round Lake wilderness areas. Each had a different character.

If one was looking for the least hunting pressure in the Adirondacks, which wilderness area (or general geographic area) would be most likely to provide it?

I am not sure there is one area or areas that have the lowest hunting pressure but I have found that the areas I hunt have very little pressure if you get back in a mile or two and start hunting from there. Most hunters will hunt within a mile or less of where they park. The number of hunters beyond a mile in drops significantly and two miles even more regardless of which wilderness area or wild forest. I hunt the central and west central Adirondacks.

Comment

Stillhunter, do you find that general rule still applies in areas with extensive trail networks - in particular horse trails that are wide enough to cart gear in?

Comment

Typically if there are extensive trail networks and wider horse or snowmobile trails that are maintained there will be more traffic from hunters and hikers alike. If you are looking for lower pressure I would study the maps and scout out areas that have a limited number of marked trails. It can be very helpful to have a trail to get in and out on if you are camping and use a cart.

Comment

One can go a mile and a half in, using a trail for the first mile, and find a quiet place . That's what I do. I rarely see a soul...or a deer for that matter.
          "A culture is no better than its woods." W.H. Auden

Comment

These guys are right, the "magic" mile seems to be the distance of separation. That's not saying you won't find hunters who are looking for the same thing you are! I'd say look for areas with less trails.
            Life's short, hunt hard!

Comment

Some real good bucks that are searching for does come in close to roads and more pressured areas during the beginning of the rut. Sometimes it can be good hunting near a road. Good to scout and hunt fresh buck sign as well.

Comment

Don't rule out high pressured areas. Just learn where the deer are coming and going into an area. Trails can be faint but open your eyes. Smart bucks can stay in an area within a stone's throw of a highway and never been seen. They can hide and will hide in areas you would never believe they would be in. Behind logs, brush piles and boulders. Big healthy deer are smart and become what they are because they are smart.

Just my two cents.
                Two Beavers

Comment

Originally posted by Edb 46 er View Post
                  Don't rule out high pressured areas. Just learn where the deer are coming and going into an area. Trails can be faint but open your eyes. Smart bucks can stay in an area within a stone's throw of a highway and never been seen. They can hide and will hide in areas you would never believe they would be in. Behind logs, brush piles and boulders. Big healthy deer are smart and become what they are because they are smart.

Just my two cents.
                  I agree with Edb and Stillwater. I once found an eleven point antler less than a thousand ft from a road and one of the biggest bucks one of my hunters ever shot, I was a Guide, was less than that distance from another road.
                  Last edited by Woodly; 06-20-2019, 05:24 PM. Reason: additional info

Comment

Originally posted by Edb 46 er View Post

Just my two cents.
                    AGREED!

I have seen monster bucks with monster racks very close if not right in urban areas. I am not suggesting you hunt near populated areas my point is don't think you have a Mr.Whitetail Boone and Crocket completely figured out. You may think an area is all hunted out because you know of or see a lot of deer come out of an area. Chances are those "monsters" are still there fooling lots of fellow hunters. I once counted well over a hundred deer in a farmers field with many big racks present. Of course this was at night in a place where spotting with a light, but not hunting, was legal. During the day, only tracks and tails.
                    Never Argue With An Idiot. They Will Drag You Down To Their Level And Beat You With Experience.

Comment

After walking 7-8 miles in the wilderness last season, we had an absolute tanker of a buck cross the road in front of us while we were driving back to camp. Bucks in the rut aren't really the same animal they are the other 10.5-11 months of the year.

But yeah, most of the ADKs past a mile or so from the trail rarely see humans. That doesn't always make the deer any dumber though. Be prepared to pack one out. Dragging sucks.

Comment

Being from the North Country, we have our own ways of doing things.
                        On a perfect day we hope to sit no more than a few hours and make it to "the Timber" by noon. We appreciate the downstaters and out of staters stomping the deep woods to push the deer out.
                        Attached Files

Comment

I am a meat hunter.....you can't eat horns....and they are even harder to drag out of the woods....just saying

Comment

Hunting for meat is better in Southern Zone or transition landoutside the park. Hunting pressure is higher in those areas.
                            Hunting the Adirondacks offers lower deer numbers and the opportunity to enjoy the experience of getting back in a ways and not seeing other hunters on most days.

A nice curved antler beam makes a great handle for dragging... just saying.

Comment

you are so right...I would not turn down a nice buck if the chance does come...

Comment

Working...
                              X