Black Fly report 2019

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Black Fly report 2019

Traveling to Indian Lake Memoeial Day Weekend. I’m hoping to learn how the black flies have been? I don’t think this is a duplicate thread. Didn’t see one yet. Thanks for the help. Happy Camping(and fishing and hiking and boating and exploring and mountaineering and canoeing and rafting etc etc etc)

I have not been in the 'daks yet, but I was up in the Central Tug Hill last week, thinking I was early enough to miss them, and they were out in force, but only swarming , for the most part not biting. But if DEC were not cancelling my Memorial Day trip to the Moose River Plains for me, I'd likely be rethinking it based on normal progression of the weather and the emergence. A heavy cold snap with hard night time frost or a few really hot days could change a lot of this though at least toward the roads (Once they start in the Plains, it will be hell until mid July!)

Comment

There are some around here in Ferris Lake WF area but not biting YET...........
      Ahh............Wilderness.......

Comment

I was in the Northern end of the Blue Ridge Wilderness (Blue mtn) last weekend and they came out for the few hours when the sun was shining but they were not biting.

Comment

I usually avoid Memorial Day weekend because of the traffic and crowds, but this year I have 5 days so I am going to give it a shot. I haven't determined whether I will be backpacking or paddling yet, nor the destination. Either way, I am expecting to put my Permethrin-treated clothing and gear to the test. The bugnet and jacket will be with me as well.
          "Everyone must believe in something. I believe I'll go canoeing."
          - Henry David Thoreau

Comment

Hike the Fulton Chain Trifecta over the weekend (near Inlet & Old Forge). Black flies were swarming in massive quantities and starting to bite. I would assume that next weekend would be "full bite" at least in that section of the park.

There's still snow on some of the High Peaks, so higher elevations may be somewhat delayed.

Comment

Wilmington and Black Brook have some/not many. Seems more up higher than lower, that'll change quick.

Comment

Heard from a friend on the Tug Hill and he says the annual blood donation is in full swing there, so I'd say nrdu is on the money, at least for Western 'Daks

Comment

On another ADK Forum one guy stated the blackies are out in force near the Dix's.

Comment

What have people done to help their dogs with black flies? I’ll probably be going out for a few days the second week in June with the dog and expect them to be heavy then. I’m reticent to use any deet on her.

Comment

We were in Indian Lake last weekend- lots of swarming but no biting. We were killing them by the handful with each swat on Watch Hill and at the camp. I am guessing they will be biting by now.
                      For our dog, we treat her with Advantix II monthly and tie a bandanna that is treated with permethrin around her neck.

Comment

Black flies have substantially increased their aggressiveness today, more since yesterday or the day before in the SW Adirondacks. But I have to say that the mosquitoes were worse and even more hungry than the black flies today.
                        "Now I see the secret of making the best person, it is to grow in the open air and to eat and sleep with the earth." -Walt Whitman

Comment

We always found that if we got bitten bad enough by the black flies, the mosquitoes couldn't find anywhere to get their sucker in between all the bite welts!

Comment

Originally posted by webby459 View Post
                            What have people done to help their dogs with black flies? I’ll probably be going out for a few days the second week in June with the dog and expect them to be heavy then. I’m reticent to use any deet on her.

Take this picture as a bit of warning about bringing the dogs during heavy black fly season.

Ever since this trip (which I actually cut way short and retreated from as quick as possible for my dog's sake) I've tended to leave dogs home on multi-day trips at the peak of BF season. It kills hiking dogs to watch owners leave without them, but it's simply not worth it IMHO when the bugs can be at their worst.

On this particular trip the first two days during my hike in were fine - there were definitely flies and mosquitos, but nothing too bad or above average. Unfortunately, things changed dramatically and they begin to swarm after I was in fairly deep. By that time I had bushwhacked way off trail, far in the interior and a long way from the trailhead I accessed the area from. I hiked out as quick as I could, but you can see what happened in the interim. Lesson learned.

Other than that I use Frontline or Advantix and a dog safe bug spray on exposed skin. Something more potent in extreme cases if it becomes absolutely necessary.
                            Last edited by IndLk_Brett; 05-24-2019, 03:26 PM.

Comment

I've been turkey hunting all month in the Lake George region and they really kicked in last weekend once it warmed up. Last Saturday afternoon, May 18, I did a short afternoon hike in Bolton with some friends and they were as bad as I've seen in years. Ticks are out too. Come here prepared.
                              Life's short, hunt hard!

Comment

Working...
                              X