Black Fly report 2019

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Greenmoxie’s Shoo Fly! Black Fly Repellent Recipe
    Mix 2 cups water with 1/4 cup of vinegar and 10 drops of spearmint, mint or peppermint essential oils. Spray pets, family members, strollers, clothing and around doors and windows.
    Never Argue With An Idiot. They Will Drag You Down To Their Level And Beat You With Experience.

Comment

Rocky Peak Ridge May 29-31

I camped at Blueberry Cobbles and hiked Rocky Peak Ridge May 29-31.
      Black Flies not as bad as I expected. I was swarmed a few times, but they were mostly not biting. It was really not a problem when I hiked the East Trail all day Thursday. It was a little bit more of a problem at the campsite.

Comment

Perkins Clearing and Uncas Rd were brutal.

Comment

Everything is very late here. In the Giant Wilderness the woods looked more like April than June. At 2500' at mid day, there were almost no bugs. At 1800' around 6 PM, they were a little annoying but not terrible. I am sure they are coming, and it will be hell...

Comment

I was in the southern Adirondacks today. I climbed Panther mountain (Echo Cliff) and Kane Mountain. I was done by 1:00pm. I noticed next to zero black flies. The deer flies are starting to come out, but not aggressive yet.

Comment

I drove around the western Adirondacks yesterday. I climbed Bald (Rondaxe), looked for Billy Bald Spot, hung out at Stillwater, and hiked around Moshier Falls. There were black flies at Bald, but it was acceptable without spray. It was an enjoyable hike. Stillwater however was terrible. At Moshier Falls I experienced deer flies, black flies, and a ton of mosquitos, a lot of mosquitos

The previous day, I climbed Moxham. There were a tolerable amount of black flies. Bug spray did the trick, but my dad and I took a barrage of stable flies along the ridge, especially at the summit. They were most concentrated were the woods met the clearings. They seemed to stay away from full sun exposure. What was really nice was there were swallow tail butterflies everywhere. In one clearing it seemed like we were in a butterfly garden. The dragon flies were out probably having a feast.

Comment

Camped at Fish Creek for the TearUp trailer fest this past weekend. Black flies weren't the issue, mosquitos were, and in a big way! Same on one of the trout ponds I hit and I used my head-net before the breeze kicked up. My wife and I hit Middle Saranac and Weller Pond on Sunday and they were bad at first but there were ironically none of either at the far lean-to.

Yesterday (Tuesday) some co-workers and I did some volunteer trail-work in Bolton near Lake George, on the LGLC trails. More skeeters than black flies, and some deer flies. One guy woke up with tick on him overnight.
                Life's short, hunt hard!

Comment

In Speculator, both forms of vermin are plentiful. On the water, blackflies are the rule. On land, the skeeters are in numbers like I have rarely seen. Torrential rains today will not help. Need hot and dry or a freeze (LOL) to make an impact. Will be a long "summer" as far as bugs go.

Comment

The skeeters were very bad at Rollins Pond the past two days. Never saw it so bad...…...no BF's though.

Comment

Almost no BF on Lyon Mt on June 23. But plenty of mosquitoes in the 1st half.

Comment

I was at Goodman Mountain Today. The mosquitos were quite severe the first mile in. I haver never seen them that bad. I had a hard time filling in the register. If I stood still for a second, I would have several of them digging in immediately. I actually messed up filling in my information, because it was so unnerving hearing all that buzzing around my head. I poured on the bug spray and walked at a brisk pace trying to shake them. Whenever I stopped for a second, hoards of mosquitos would congregate around my legs, trying to dig in through my jeans. I was concerned. I kept swatting my arms and neck to keep the more stealthy ones from having a chance to bite. I was getting sensitive to feeling little pricks when one started to bite. It was hard to concentrate. Thankfully it got better once the climbing began. Later I climbed Arab and I had no problem with bugs there.

Comment

We went to Wolf Pond the other day and the skeeters were BAD on the last mile, especially at the lean-to. I'm glad we bought Original Bug Shirts this year...….they work great. We certainly looked like tourists from New Jersey but never got stuck once!

Comment

I just a bought myself a bug jacket last night

Comment

Mosquitoes finally dwindling just a bit in the SW corner here, a couple Deer Flies but have not seen many of those evil things. Are the Deer Flies reduced in other areas of the park? Unbelievable number of lightning bugs last night, under the moon. So cool to see. Have not had that many in years if ever.

Comment

Originally posted by Hoser View Post
                                Mosquitoes finally dwindling just a bit in the SW corner here, a couple Deer Flies but have not seen many of those evil things. Are the Deer Flies reduced in other areas of the park? Unbelievable number of lightning bugs last night, under the moon. So cool to see. Have not had that many in years if ever.
                                Deer flies are in full force in S. ADKs Ferris Lake WF area, and mosquitos are a secondary formidable attack force. Black flies nearly gone............
                                Ahh............Wilderness.......

Comment

Working...
                                X