Lean to Coordinates?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lean to Coordinates?

Hey all. I did a search and can't find something I seem to recall from about a year ago.

Seems I recall a post wherein someone posted coordinated for lean to's in the ADK's.

Anyone know where I can find that? Either on the forum or off?

Thanks in advance.
    PATHFINDER
    "I'M THE ONE WHO BARKED AT THUNDER, ROARED AT LIGHTENING, MADE DEATH WONDER."

AND

“Wherever I go, everyone is a little bit safer because I am there.
    Wherever I am, anyone in need has a friend.
    Whenever I return home, everyone is happy I am there.
    It's a better life!”- Robert L. Humphrey “Warriors Creed"

"John has a long mustache."

Stupendous resource. https://caltopo.com/m/BNBN

Comment

The 'stupendous resource' displays lean-to data that is undoubtedly sourced from the DEC which happens to be terribly out of date.

Focusing on just the High Peaks area, Bear Brook Lean-to is gone, Deer Brook Lean-to was moved, so was Bushnell Falls 1, there are at least two fewer lean-tos at Marcy Dam, Cedar Point Lean-to was moved across the lake, etc.
      Looking for views!

Comment

Sorry, buddy. I'm always out with a tent anyway, so no sweat when I come up short. Please let me know if you find anything better!

Comment

Originally posted by DLtoker View Post
          Please let me know if you find anything better!
          Exclusively for the High Peaks area, OpenStreetMap (OSM) is reasonably up to date.

There are many maps derived from OSM including Gaia's Topo maps, ThunderForest Outdoors, Suunto's maps, and many more. Here's OSM in Caltopo along with the 40' contour layer. It's centered on Lake Colden and shows lean-tos, designated DEC campsites, privies, etc.

I know they're reasonably accurate because I surveyed them about 3 years ago. Nevertheless, some of the campsites depicted (near Lake Colden) are liable to have changed slightly owing to work done by the DEC perhaps 2 years ago.

For paper maps, the best bet is the ADK Mtn Club's High Peaks map. A new one is due out soon.

Outside of the High Peaks, in the balance of the Adirondack Park, the accuracy of the assets depicted on a map can vary greatly.

Anyway, the person you had responded to posted their question almost 5 years ago so they probably gave up waiting for an answer.
          Last edited by Trail Boss; 04-22-2019, 10:15 PM.
          Looking for views!

Comment

Nice! Will check out those links as well.

Comment

Interesting that the somewhat crowd sourced resource (OSM) is the more accurate.

It used to be 20 years ago that web stuff was unreliable, and "official" stuff was accurate. But that's shifting.

Governments have overdrawn their checkbooks, so "non-essential" things like DEC maps are woefully inaccurate and out-of-date.

And ADK's "partnering" with NatGeo was a flop (I wonder which way the money flowed). Earlier, ADK's books included their own maps, which were reasonably accurate. The NatGeo Maps were ridiculously inaccurate when they first came out (there's a thread here somewhere about that). They've been improved, but are still inferior. I'm glad ADK reneged and decided to publish an ADK map (edited by a knowledgeable expert) at least for the High Peaks region.

Comment

Originally posted by TCD View Post
                Interesting that the somewhat crowd sourced resource (OSM) is the more accurate.

It used to be 20 years ago that web stuff was unreliable, and "official" stuff was accurate. But that's shifting.

Governments have overdrawn their checkbooks, so "non-essential" things like DEC maps are woefully inaccurate and out-of-date.

And ADK's "partnering" with NatGeo was a flop (I wonder which way the money flowed). Earlier, ADK's books included their own maps, which were reasonably accurate. The NatGeo Maps were ridiculously inaccurate when they first came out (there's a thread here somewhere about that). They've been improved, but are still inferior. I'm glad ADK reneged and decided to publish an ADK map (edited by a knowledgeable expert) at least for the High Peaks region.
                The new one is out now, I got some for my local ADK chapter. I haven't compared it with the earlier one, nor with the OSM maps, but there are some new details, such as the closure of the Porter trail from the Garden. Knowing it's author, I expect it to be very accurate.

Comment

Working...
                X